Your thoughts on Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild?

It's a nice game, but so far (I'm maybe 20 hours in ? and 2 "dungeons" done) I don't find that game to be "clever" like previous games have been.

The open world itself is a success, I like how conquering the towers is more interesting than in Assassin's Creed for example. But the sanctuaries and breaking weapons are a bad aspect of the game for me.

I play on WiiU and most of the time, while in the open world, dungeons, sanctuaries, performance is fine.
But in some spots and almost every village and ranch, the framerate drops badly. I would say 20 fps or even less.

I'd rather get a PS4 with Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3 and some others instead of paying a few hundred bucks and have another dust collector with accessories just for Breath of the Wild.

Yeah, that's my current plans for this holiday if I can get a good enough deal on the PS4. I'm sure I'll be getting the NS for my son, so if Mario makes it on time, I'll be able to try it out at that time. But for now, the NS is a ways off for me, no question.

Unless a super sweet deal comes along at some point soon, I'm currently waiting on the first revision, or at least a "mini" or "handheld" version of the current offerings. As I've stated before, I really just don't want or need the TV portions of the NS, and I hate paying for things I don't plan to use.

Chris

Yeah, that's my current plans for this holiday if I can get a good enough deal on the PS4.
if you plan to watch blue rays on it, check if your tv can handle that obscure hdmi drm flag sony is using. ours can't, and movie audio stops after 30 mins because the ps4 "identifies" it as a pirated copy. the worst part is, even some sony tvs had that issue until someone got around to fix it. and don't ask about the tv restarting all the time in the middle of a game during the first few weeks after the ps4 pro release...

if you plan to watch blue rays on it, check if your tv can handle that obscure hdmi drm flag sony is using. ours can't, and movie audio stops after 30 mins because the ps4 "identifies" it as a pirated copy. the worst part is, even some sony tvs had that issue until someone got around to fix it. and don't ask about the tv restarting all the time in the middle of a game during the first few weeks after the ps4 pro release...

Thanks for the heads up, but I still own my PS3, and even though I have a few blu-ray disc, I never use them. I'll use netflix, youtube, or the web browser probably before I'll use the PS4 to actually run a non game disc, so no worries there for me at least.

Chris

Well, there's a new update out for the NS and Wii U versions of the game, and the Wii U version seems improved in some areas, but not so much in others. But, it's better than nothing.

Chris

Well, the last few days, my Zelda play time has been increasing, and I actually look forward to playing again, once I stop. I finally just finished the first area, and got my first segment of actually story(sadly, the same story as 95% of every Zelda), but it's good to see things start to move forward. I've been having to force myself to play up to this point, as the game wasn't moving me at all(and was rather boring).

I guess the whole first area was pretty much a rather long tutorial section, with little to no help or involvement from the game. While I was never a fan of constant hand holding and sidekick chatter in Zelda games(my favorites are normally the 2D games BTW), I'm not sure if the new formula of little to no guidance is to my liking. Keep in mind, I never play games that are of this typical nature, so the concept is new to me.

Zelda is and always has been about discovery, so I can't really fault the road currently traveled, but for me, who has limited game time in recent years, a more direct game is often more played by me than those that don't. Not due to me not liking the design, but more so about time. But now that I'm done with the first section, and more of the world has opened up, it's picking up steam for sure, so hopefully that will continue.

Chris

Last edited:
Have to say I'm besotted with the game atm & can't see that changing anytime soon.. I've not completed that much of the main story or done many of the side quests, just been searching for/solving the shrines & seeing what I can & can't do in the game world. I've managed to pull off some pretty funky little tricks although I must confess that most were by accident that I probably couldn't repeat if I tried!.. I've got to share and try something I've just seen.

It's not so much how easy this seems to be, more the fact that it is doable at all.. but as I've come to realize the more I've played (& the masses of YouTube videos are testament to) it is the game that just keeps giving.

Last edited:
Well, I reached my first motion controlled Wii U tablet shrine last night.......WTF is the point in F*****g motion controls? They work as well here, as they ever did on the Wii, which means they are all but totally useless. I've read in the past, there aren't to many of these required in the game, but one was to many for me. God do I absolutely despise motion controls in any shape, form, or size.

For the record, I'm still enjoying the game. It's still not great in my book, as the breakable weapons are still a pain in the ass, and the overall pacing is blah, but so far, I'm still playing it, so we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Chris

Nintendo has a history of shoehorning motion controls into their games where conventional means would have done a better job.

To be fair, nintendo have always shoehorned whatever new feature their hardware has. With the SNES it was mode 7, which wasn't too bad. Analogue controls on the N64 similar. The DS games mostly had pointless map or inventory screens on the extra screen, and the Wii gave us motion controls in metroid, for its sins.

To be fair, I can't think of a gimmick for the GBA, Gamecube or Wii U. Maybe in those cases, the gimmick was intrinsic, like being able to do sprite rotation in 15-bit colour on the GBA, not have loads of fog on the Gamecube versus its previous, or use the WiiU tablet in off-tv mode.

I'm all for things that enhance or improve a game, and over the years, "N" has had some rather good ones. Analog controls to the masses, rumble feature in controllers, Mode 7, etc.

As for motion controls, I've yet to experience any on a console where there wasn't an issue of some kind, of making a game hard to play, or just not enjoyable. Zak & Wiki on the Wii, was a great game, that had cool characters, and nice puzzles. I finished it, but it was a force effort, as the controls where F******g terrible.

DKCR was a great game as well, where they decided to add a "waggle" feature to make DK roll, which was a button in the previous games. I stop midway, and didn't go back until the 3DS release, which I finished with 200%. I didn't know it at the time, but the hacking community actually remapped a version back to the button, but I had already stopped playing by then, which was sad, as it was a great game, just not good with force waggle.

Punch-Out Wii, was yet another head scratching moment. The game had many control options, which was fine, but for some unknown reason, when you played it with the standard sideways control scheme, in between matches, they forced you to use the pointer feature to make selections, when the D-Pad and buttons where already being used. So from holding the Wiimote sideways, you now had to point at the screen, make your choices, and then turn it back sideways for the next match. My God, this was some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

If someone wants to wave their arms, and swing around the room, more power to them, but not having options to not use these features is just beyond retarded, and "N" biggest issue. We are the game master, and we know best, it's our way, or the highway. I was just about ready to throw in the towel on Zelda last night, when I remembered a tip I had read elsewhere, which got me past the issue, but for me, that's a game ending feature, and while I could have skipped that shrine, I shouldn't have to. Just poor game design really.

Chris

I actually love the motion controls on Twilight Princess and Okami.
Not wiggling around (using a button for a sword slash would be fine okay), but aiming (or drawing in Okami).

With a video projector, this is incredibly accurate. You can aim within a couple of milliseconds and easily hit your goal.

This made using the bow and arrow so much faster in Twilight Princess. I always had the issue in Ocarina of Time that some enemy hit me while I was trying to aim with the bow... either I didn't get to the target fast enough or was trying to aim exactly.

That never happened with the motion controls. Pull, aim, shoot. Incredibly fast and natural.

On Okami, where you draw different slashes to hit your enemy, this is even more visible. Just drawing a slash takes up to a second, more complex stuff (circles, etc.) takes even longer.
With motion controls, it plays three times faster. Well, and Okami uses the motion controls ONLY for drawing. Everything else is being played in a regular way, so that's neat.

I don't like motion controls at all, but I love it as a mouse or to aim at things.
At least on a video projector it's fast and accurate.

Haven't tried that on a normal TV though.

I actually love the motion controls on Twilight Princess and Okami.
Not wiggling around (using a button for a sword slash would be fine okay), but aiming (or drawing in Okami).

With a video projector, this is incredibly accurate. You can aim within a couple of milliseconds and easily hit your goal.

This made using the bow and arrow so much faster in Twilight Princess. I always had the issue in Ocarina of Time that some enemy hit me while I was trying to aim with the bow... either I didn't get to the target fast enough or was trying to aim exactly.

That never happened with the motion controls. Pull, aim, shoot. Incredibly fast and natural.

Agreed. I never had an N64 so I've only played OOT and Majora's Mask of the 3DS, (only recently started the latter actually, currently stuck on the bl**dy horse race) and one of the things I've really liked is being able to use motion control to aim the bow.

-Neelix

Breath of the Wild use the Motion control for Bow and Camera aming in first person mode mainly.

Also there are a few Shrines where motion controls are needed and they are all really easy to do.
There's one which is really hard (the maze) but you can cheat that one easily and simply turn around the whole maze and use the flat surface on the opposite side. It took me 3-4 trials to figure that out and I was amazed about the freedom the game gave me to cheat that way :)

I still like the game a lot btw. :)

Breath of the Wild use the Motion control for Bow and Camera aming in first person mode mainly.

Also there are a few Shrines where motion controls are needed and they are all really easy to do.
There's one which is really hard (the maze) but you can cheat that one easily and simply turn around the whole maze and use the flat surface on the opposite side. It took me 3-4 trials to figure that out and I was amazed about the freedom the game gave me to cheat that way :)

So the maze is the hardest one? As that was the one I was referring to, and I did the same trick, as I had read someone else complaining awhile back about that shrine, and someone else gave that advice. Without that trick, I don't think I would have done it, and it still took many tries. Well, it's good to hear that's the worst one, as anything worse than that, I may stop playing.

And before someone tells me I'm doing it wrong, I've done many play through's with my son's "perplexus", and once again, any time I fail, it's human error, as I can do those well each and every time. They can be hard, but it's always fair. For a company that once prided it's self on making games perfect, and wanting the best possible experience for players, since they introduce motion controls, I find those statements to be flat out lies. I would love to see Miyamoto sit down with the maze puzzle, and those poor ass controls, and see how many times it takes? Maybe the NS works better, but the Wii U tablet was terrible.

To make life harder for people using emulators maybe? Although looking at youtube videos of it, it should map quite well to a mouse.

Well every game I've had issues with in the past where on 100% "N" created devices/hardware, so if that is their plan, it's a rather poor one. I have found motion controls usable in some situations, but I have never had 100% accuracy, and for me, that is a broken control option. And with no other choices, your stuck playing games that are more work dealing with the controls, than actually playing and enjoying the game.. If I'm using a standard controller, and something goes wrong, it's human error. With motion controls, when things don't work as they should, it can be a combination of so many things, it just becomes frustrating, more than any level of fun that should be had.

Chris

So the maze is the hardest one? As that was the one I was referring to, and I did the same trick, as I had read someone else complaining awhile back about that shrine, and someone else gave that advice. Without that trick, I don't think I would have done it, and it still took many tries. Well, it's good to hear that's the worst one, as anything worse than that, I may stop playing.

I have 88 Shrines and there were about 5 which use motion controls.
Two where you swing a hammer to hit a ball. Those might be a little more tricky, too, but that's it.
The others were really simple and I did them in a few Minutes (fewer than 5 per task).
So hang on and do those motion control Shrines, there are not many of them.

Back