Youtube 240p loads slow. Is that normal?

agwellin

Still Fresh
Using Firefox 4, I can watch youtube videos at 240p, but they load well below playing speed, requiring me to pause and let it buffer for a good five minutes if i want to watch the whole thing straight through. Is that normal? I thought the Pandy was supposed to be decent with 240p youtube?

My internet connection is not amazing, but I can routinely watch 360p or even 480p youtube without a hitch on my desktop. So I assume the Pandora is bottlenecking it somewhere?

Any settings I can change to make this experience better? I'd really love youtube to work halfway decently, as that's one of the main reasons I went with the Pandora as opposed to other handheld emulators. :(

Edit: Oh, and I have it overclocked to default 960mhz, max 960mhz. Doesn't seem to help :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tested your wifi extensively? Some people report really slow speeds. If you're getting below 50KB/s that would be enough to cause buffering problems.

Try speedtest.net

Things won't improve until we get the DSP going.
Wouldn't it just be a connection/speed issue? I can see how the DSP would help get 360p run more smoothly, but I don't see how it could make videos load faster.

@OP Yes, my videos load slow as well. I normally only get 50-70KBps though, so I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Have you tested your wifi extensively? Some people report really slow speeds. If you're getting below 50KB/s that would be enough to cause buffering problems.

Try speedtest.net

Speedtest results from a server in Greensboro, NC:

Desktop: 1.53 Mbps

Pandora: 0.20 Mbps

Soooo, :mellow: :(

And Alerino, I'll look into that. maybe that'll help.

I usually PAUSE, then patiently just wait for the WHOLE ENTIRE vid to load AND THEN finally press play with a big smile on my face.

I usually PAUSE, then patiently just wait for the WHOLE ENTIRE vid to load AND THEN finally press play with a big smile on my face.

That must indicate a fundamental difference between you and me. That video would need to be the greatest piece of filmic art ever produced in order for my face to not look like <_< after having to wait for it to entirely load.

Instant gratification is my anti-drug.

After trying to watch Youtube videos via FF, Midori v0.3.6, and minitube using a Linksys AE1000, my experience is that the playback is too choppy to be enjoyable, even at 360p. Also, the flash player in FF can't do fullscreen (minitube can do fullscreen though). I did get good performance after downloading a video in minitube once, but I can't replicate it. Maybe I need to switch the download location back to the desktop from the SD card or something, but I kind of would rather not do that.

try 240p, it's the best we can go, atm

Thanks, I must have been trying to watch videos that have a >240p minimum res. I've gotten the best performance from minitube, but you can only set max res in minitube; it doesn't list the actual res of the videos. I was able to get good playback this time around for some other vids.

That must indicate a fundamental difference between you and me. That video would need to be the greatest piece of filmic art ever produced in order for my face to not look like <_< after having to wait for it to entirely load.

Make some tea or coffee, eat something - then come back.

Make some tea or coffee, eat something - then come back.

No offense but I think most people would find that unacceptable. I'd rather just watch a video instantly on my desktop or just watch it later if I wasn't home.

No offense but I think most people would find that unacceptable. I'd rather just watch a video instantly on my desktop or just watch it later if I wasn't home.

I tend to agree. Right now it's mostly just a curiosity, I think. Given how much trouble Adobe is having themselves in making Flash work on portable devices, it's kind of interesting to get it on Pandora, even if it hasn't been optimized yet. It's much more practical to watch Youtube videos on a smartphone or computer anyway.

Back