Release YTDownloader, a simple tool to download Youtube videos

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Since I was not happy with the solutions currently offered to download Youtube videos on Pandora, I looked for a GUI for youtube-dl (which is an EXCELLENT script to download youtube videos) and I found one, fortunately.

http://repo.openpand...pp=ytdownloader

01.png

The only thing you need to start a download is the youtube link to the video itself.

You can select the location of your downloads as well as the quality (flv 480p is recommended for Pandora, anything above may not play well at 600 Mhz.

Enjoy !

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tool.

Can it also download playlists?

I have a YT downloader which saks me if Ia want to download the whole Playlist if I select one film out of it.

Edit:

I tried it out and it's great.

It's much better to watch videos in fullscreen and "high quality" than on Fire Fox with 240p in not fullscreen.

Thank you.

This also helps me to replace my laptop with my Pandora :) .

Ooh, if it can download the videos in 480p in a way that you can watch them on the Pandora without choppiness, this interests me... I've been using get-flash-videos, but the way that downloads the videos, anything above 240p is choppy as hell.

Ooh, if it can download the videos in 480p in a way that you can watch them on the Pandora without choppiness, this interests me... I've been using get-flash-videos, but the way that downloads the videos, anything above 240p is choppy as hell.

Yeah, 480p works fine (at least in flv format) on Pandora :) Tested and no issues at all.

Askarus: it cannot download whole playlists... sorry.

By the way if you like it, please RATE the application in the repo :)

BTW: The flashplayer caches its videos on disk - some time ago it could be found right in the /tmp folder, but nowadays it simply deletes the file right after creation while keeping it opened to make it inaccessible. However, you can still enter the process' folder and check its opened files, from there you can play the video directly from under its butt - it's just a bit tricky to find out which file it is, if there's an active video thumbnailer this won't be a problem, though.

Nice - one weird thing happened once, maybe worth a mention.

I pointed it to a folder on a Usb stick (media/stuff/youtube) and saved a video. Then I pasted a second youtube url into it, and downloaded it - but it didn't end up saved in the same folder as the first file, it ended up in YTDownloaders default folder in appdata (on the SD card) and had instead named the file "#media#stuff#and_the_youtube_clip_name".

No biggie, it worked fine on a previous session with several downloads all going fine!

Nice - one weird thing happened once, maybe worth a mention.

I pointed it to a folder on a Usb stick (media/stuff/youtube) and saved a video. Then I pasted a second youtube url into it, and downloaded it - but it didn't end up saved in the same folder as the first file, it ended up in YTDownloaders default folder in appdata (on the SD card) and had instead named the file "#media#stuff#and_the_youtube_clip_name".

No biggie, it worked fine on a previous session with several downloads all going fine!

When you pasted the second url, do you mean it had reset the location ? Or the location was showing up as the same one, but actually saved it in a different folder?

When you pasted the second url, do you mean it had reset the location ? Or the location was showing up as the same one, but actually saved it in a different folder?

It was still displaying the chosen destination folder as 'Youtube' (the folder on the Usb stick called 'stuff') but it actually named the file with the path that it was meant to save in, including the hash symbols I mentioned - so the second file ended up in the (not selected) default YTDownloader folder on the SD card, with a name that began with the path it had saved the previous file to!

So, where the file would have had it's Youtube name, it was instead named:

#media#stuff#and_the_youtube_clip_name

Only happened once, not a big deal but I thought I ought to mention it ;)

I've been using this for a while now.

I like that, unlike get-flash-videos, it can download videos in a decent quality that can be watched.

What I don't like, though, is that it seems to be unreliable if it's not the only thing running, which is rarely the case. Running anything else seems to sometimes freeze up the download. I'm not sure why or if it's just a graphical error and it's actually still working just fine, but it's annoying either way.

You mean you tried several times and could not reproduce it ?

I used it for several sequential downloads subsequently (and previously) and this was the only time it happened (Destination was the same folder on the Usb stick in each case).

Working very reliably here over a 7.5kB/s GPRS (throttled)link. Thank you very much for this.

You mean you tried several times and could not reproduce it ?

I used it for several sequential downloads subsequently (and previously) and this was the only time it happened (Destination was the same folder on the Usb stick in each case).

Thanks for confirming it is apparently a "rare" bug - if this does not happen too frequently I will probably not look into it and cross fingers. :)

Working very reliably here over a 7.5kB/s GPRS (throttled)link. Thank you very much for this.

Thanks for the comment :) Appreciate if you could rate the application in the repo (if you have not done so yet!).

Didn't work - almost immediate said "Completed" in the Progress bar and no file was written.

And now it seems that no videos are downloading any more.

One hypothesis is that you may have downloaded "too much" and youtube is known to have implemented the need to solve a catchpa on the webpage to prevent excessive downloading. I am not sure if this is the problem you are facing but I will check on my side anyway.

Back