Zork / Dungeon

Fzero

Advanced Member
Bloody trees!!!

How do you go back in this thing, it cusses you if you try the 'back' command and says you not worthy

I know some of you would have played this

I literally started my adventure and was facing the door-less White House, I walked west and now I can't get back to the damn house, I'm lost in the woods or in an opening with a pile of leaves on the floor... though whichever way I walk from there I'm back in the woods again.

Not going to read the walkthrough, but a little clue would be good...

I tried the command 'use chainsaw' in a desperate attempt to cut my way out but wasn't having it

http://thcnet.net/zork/index.php

I played loads of text adventures back in the day and it sounds like a text adventure maze you are stuck in, you move and seem to be in the same

location but you are not.

Also, search, examine pile of leaves, light leaves if you have a light source.

OK, arm yourself with a pencil and paper, now drop an item in the location you are in, now move West,East,South,North,Up,Down, is the object there, if so

you have returned to the same location, if the object is not then, you are in a new loction, follow this process mapping as you go.

It is a basic command type text adventure, N,S,E,W,U,D Open, Close, Search, Examine, Push, Pull, Drop, Take etc etc etc

Part of these games was finding out what the game engine recognised which normaly came with the game manual.

Also you can only do things with objects that you have with you, do not know if you have a chainsaw, if not then you cannot use one.

The game cusses you for using Back becuase it does not understand the word back, it is what they used to do in these games.

Good Luck..................

Hope this helps.

Cheers Cas. I got back to the house.

Can type 'inventory' to see what items owned, I knew I had no chainsaw really, was just so annoyed I wanted to get the trees down somehow :)

I have nothing at the moment, but will bear in mind that 'drop item for location mapping' tactic - Something you learn with experience eh

Cheers Cas. I got back to the house.

Can type 'inventory' to see what items owned, I knew I had no chainsaw really, was just so annoyed I wanted to get the trees down somehow :)

I have nothing at the moment, but will bear in mind that 'drop item for location mapping' tactic - Something you learn with experience eh

No Problem, have fun :)

Haha, old-skool stubborn text adventure parser of the eighties vs. web browser child of the 21st Century! :D

To go back you type in the opposite direction of where you came in (i.e if you got to where you are by going N, you type S). Of course adventure games are notorious for putting in locations that don't follow this rule (like >N 'You climb through a small window and drop to the floor of the basement', >S 'You jump and attempt to scrabble up the wall, but the the window is too high for you to reach') or putting you into non-logical pseudo-random mazes, or just plain non-symmetrical geography, like >N, 'You pass from woodland into a grassy plain. Mountains lie to the east and north or south-west to thick woodland'.

Have fun, though. I try to play a text adventure or two every year. The Pandora is great for this.

Yeah I think I will get into these more on the Pandora when I receive it.

Although I was playing games back in the 80's, I never got into these type of games ... Just recently found this Zork website and thought I'd give it a go, it's fun so going to try get through it all. So, I'm not used to these common commands, getting the hang of it though, getting my bearing, having to jot the odd note too on paper - Like where to turn when facing the north face of the building - as you can't scroll up through all your previous commands on this one.

Getting there... :)

Back