Zx81

I have compiled sz81. But how the keymapper (F9) is supposed to work?
It doesn't, or at least it didn't in the old port as I mentioned. It seems as if it's set up only to recognise an external joypad input perhaps? It behaves as if it's registering your input, but it does nothing apparently.

In the previous port of SZ81, it was possible to edit a hidden config file to map the D-Pad (or your preferred keys), being an early Sinclair machine, many games defaulted to the 'cursor' keys - 5,6,7,8 and 0, so using those is good enough for a lot of the classics.

Editing the the old version's config:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/7319-zx81-emulator-sz81-d-pad-remapping//URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Seamus, also check your PMs, you have mail!

ptitSeb's latest port creates the same config file, so anyone in a hurry to play 3D Monster Maze or any of the majority of titles that used cursor keys, can just edit that file ( http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/7319-zx81-emulator-sz81-d-pad-remapping//URL]) or run sz81 once, then quit so the folder structure exists, and navigate to:

pandora/appdata/sz81/.sz81/

(.sz81 is a hidden folder, enable 'view hidden files' in the file manager)

and drop my sz81rc file, attached, in that location (in the .sz81 folder). It maps the 5,6,7,8 keys to the D-Pad, there is no 'fire' button mapped to one of the A/B/X/Y buttons, so unless you add one as per editing link, the 0 button is your blaster. No shooting in 3D Monster Maze though!

Note: remove the .txt extension so the file is named just sz81rc, I added the .txt only so the file could be attached here.

sz81rc.txt

Attachments

• sz81rc.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 211
Actually, since the ZX81 was monochrome, perhaps this is something I can run on my Pandora's malfunctioning screen. Man I need that LCD cable.

The complete collection of ZX81 and ZX Spectrum games created by Roger Dymond and sold under the brand Dymond Software in 1982/1983 via adverts in Your Computer and Sinclair User.

334MB* . Includes the following titles:

ZX81
  • Games Compendium (Beetle, Fox and Geese, Ludo, Noughts and Crosses, Snakes and Ladders)

ZX Spectrum
  • Games Compendium (Beetle, Fox &Geese, Ludo, Noughts and Crosses, Snakes & Ladders)
  • Dymonoids
  • Gambling Tape (Fruit Machine, Poker Dice, Slippery Sam)
  • Roulette

Donated to the internet by his parents. RIP Roger!

*) Why so big, you ask? Well, it also contains all the artwork (cassette inlays) in ultrahigh TIFF format.

Last edited:
I've relayed the story and inlay image to worldofspectrum (edit: link removed, as per forum guidelines: no links to gray area roms)
I hope they pick it up :)

Last edited:
Back