10 Games Coming Out.....

icurafu posted on Apr 14 2006 at 08:24 AM said:
Turambar posted on Apr 14 2006 at 10:56 PM said:
Anybody ever bought a commercial DVD? How about a major pc game release? A console game? Did you have problems playing these on more than one machine? I'll bet you didn't. Guess what, the majority of them used some form of DRM.

Are you talking crack?

DRM is a whole bunch of methods for managing ownership that is similar to PKI 5-10 years ago. It's vastly different from DVD encryption or the typical video game protection system.

I think Hes Talking Smack
and taking Crack :)

I am curious how the drm is going to work however. I can't see them making it so only the original device can play the game without some sort of soft reset incase of brakage, but then again wont know till it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...for the games, they'd have to use read-only sd cards...But for drm..hm...I'd think they'd take a strategy similar to the gba rom prevention drm, that will detect things such as the cpu and eeprom/other memory (if anyone's ever owned the Legend of Goku, you'd know the roms for it don't work unless special settings for the memory thingy are set). They also might use some sort of write protection...meh...

DaveC posted on Apr 14 2006 at 12:53 AM said:
Epicenter posted on Apr 13 2006 at 10:52 PM said:
Paradox posted on Apr 13 2006 at 04:56 AM said:
oh goody! let's boycott them :eek:, nah, i'll probably still buy them. I wonder how they'll come.

DRM to prevent making copies of a game that only runs on one system is nothing like DRM that prevents you from say, making a legal copy of your DVDs to play on your '2x or a copy of your music CDs to listen to as Mp3's on your computer. And it's only logical. My partners and I will probably employ some form of it to keep our work safe when we release commercial versions of our games too. The last thing anyone needs is to develop a game then have 1 person buy it and 1000 people bootleg it when you're already on a shoestring budget.

But then what happens if a year or two from now your GP2X breaks and you have to replace it? What happens if the ones that made the games have moved on to something else and can't be contacted? I would be real pissed if I spent alot of money on games only to have them stop working because I had to replace my system. That seems real unfair to users to have the thought of potentially loosing all of their games. Even if the game makers can be contacted imagine the hassle of e-mailing a bunch of places and begging them to let you use the game that you already paid for. Too many ways for the user to get screwed. DRM bad.

Dave, you make valid points, but I want there to be commercial games on the gp2x, and if the only way to prevent widespread piracy is some form of DRM, then DRM good!

Ley the people who have made these games get the money for them, otherwise they won't make them.

DaveC posted on Apr 13 2006 at 07:53 PM said:
But then what happens if a year or two from now your GP2X breaks and you have to replace it? What happens if the ones that made the games have moved on to something else and can't be contacted? I would be real pissed if I spent alot of money on games only to have them stop working because I had to replace my system. That seems real unfair to users to have the thought of potentially loosing all of their games. Even if the game makers can be contacted imagine the hassle of e-mailing a bunch of places and begging them to let you use the game that you already paid for. Too many ways for the user to get screwed. DRM bad.

Who said anything about locking the game to your machine? .. I didn't imply that in any way shape or form, and I'd probably never use such a form of DRM since it would impede on the user's ability to play the game the way they want, on the machine they want, their friend's machine if he has a '2x as well .. and so forth. A simple means of protecting the program to force it to prove you bought it is perfectly reasonable. It's more as a deterrant for piracy than an attempt to stick your nose where it does not belong; onto your customers' machines.

Would you say that the game you downloaded back in '96 for your PC that asks for $5 when you start it up or that you input a key to unlock it evil and unacceptable? If you invested months developing a game engine for the '2x and your graphic artist pulled his hair out drawing sprites, and your composer knocked himself out writing music for a game, and only 6 people buy it to have 500 download it for free from some jerk's FTP server and never see a dime, how would you take that? .. Sure, piracy of mainstream games for the PC, consoles and PocketPC are justifiable and considerable as victimless crimes, but their audiences are large enough that they are able to make a profit, and not have to care if some people bootleg it here or there. The '2x's audience is enormously smaller and one prick setting up a warez site for commercial '2x games could lose authors hundreds of potential dollars.

Granted, there are other reasons to buy a real commercial copy of a game like the one we're currently developing ... like getting a CD In a proper case along with your copy of the ame (on a proper SD card) with bonus features. Music, concept art, wallpapers, a version for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X ... I'm of the belief someone should get a little more for their money than just being able to say 'I supported the author'. :) .. although a little altruism is a nicety that's become all too rare these days.

I agree with Epicenter his thoughts are valid i own a gp2x because i believe in open source and donate when i can im not saying im a saint and shit but i wouldnt fuck him over when his game/s come out id would rather pay for it knowing he will put it to good use and fuck he deserves it

Not only him any creator of gp2x games should be supported whether it be a few words of encouragement or by monetary means.

if DRM will get more people making games for 2x hail to DRM

craigix posted on Apr 14 2006 at 11:50 PM said:
Dave you can avoid that situation by buying the SD card version.

There will be SD card versions of the games? I heard somewhere on these boards that the games were going to be download only. Must have changed since then.

Hmm Ok cool, nevermind my above DRM rant post then :p I will buy the boxed versions.

Plus its rather simple to set the drm key on your gp2x to whatever you like, so you could make your new one match your old one.

Anyway, I heard around 20 pounds for the SD versions, depending on the size of the cards needed.

theoddbot posted on Apr 14 2006 at 10:37 PM said:
Plus its rather simple to set the drm key on your gp2x to whatever you like, so you could make your new one match your old one.

Anyway, I heard around 20 pounds for the SD versions, depending on the size of the cards needed.
$50! HOLY CRAP!

PSyMastR posted on Apr 15 2006 at 01:37 AM said:

$50! HOLY CRAP!
If that's for anything less than a 1GB card, I'm not biting <_<

PSyMastR posted on Apr 15 2006 at 06:37 AM said:

$50! HOLY CRAP!

where did you get $50 from?

£20 = 35 dollars (and 4 cents)

Honestly people, just type "convert 20 gbp to usd" into Google:

Google said:
20 British pounds = 35.03200 U.S. dollars

Magic!

1 person converts the amount wrong, probably by making a bad guess, and you make a whole post telling us people how to convert?

now to make this post non useless like yours.

£20 seems like quite a lot for a gp2x game =| Really.. not saying they wont be good, but you could probably get much better games for £20..boxed with a cd. i'd have thought download = £5-7, boxed = £12-15 would be quite reasonable, i assume this is WITHOUT an instruction manual? not that us guys need a manual or anything...

Paradox posted on Apr 15 2006 at 05:24 PM said:
1 person converts the amount wrong, probably by making a bad guess, and you make a whole post telling us people how to convert?

now to make this post non useless like yours.

£20 seems like quite a lot for a gp2x game =| Really.. not saying they wont be good, but you could probably get much better games for £20..boxed with a cd. i'd have thought download = £5-7, boxed = £12-15 would be quite reasonable, i assume this is WITHOUT an instruction manual? not that us guys need a manual or anything...

Um, someone posted the wrong amount and a lot of people believed him. Mudi corrects them and posts a great trick to convert currency values (my favorite, in fact..) and you call his post useless? Could you be much more blindly arrogant? Your post is a lot more useless than Mudi's was. You just go on to say you think the games are too expensive. 20 GBP is a lot less than you'd pay for your average GBA or DS game, and much less than you'd pay for a PSP game. If these are actually retail-quality robust titles and not simple little games that won't occupy for long, they'd be well worth 20 GBP in all possibility.

Back