100% success! (2011-12-24)

Well, it has some cracks though i didn't drop it. When opening the lit, it makes noises and at some angles I see purple tint, though I should have one of the rugged lcd-cables. The case makes funny noises when i press it at certain positions, like at the side of my right nub. My battery cover is kind a loose cause one of the plastic hooks broke without obvious reason. And then there's the price/idealistic worth. I can probably protect it from impact, but what really strikes me is there are so many places where water and dirt can sneak in :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it has some cracks though i didn't drop it. When opening the lit, it makes noises and at some angles I see purple tint, though I should have one of the rugged lcd-cables. The case makes funny noises when i press it at certain positions, like at the side of my right nub. My battery cover is kind a loose cause one of the plastic hooks broke without obvious reason. And then there's the price/idealistic worth. I can probably protect it from impact, but what really strikes me is there are so many places where water and dirt can sneak in :(

This sounds just like me (except for the purple tint; I haven't had that yet). It feels like such a rare item that I treat it more gently than I probably need to. Anyway, I'd sure feel better with a more sturdy (metal) case. :)

I really don't think a metal case is the solution, as any quality flaw will be even more noticable with a metal case. Rubber coating can really make a big difference for impact protection, metal inlays can help to make bendable parts like the upper lid more stable and reliable. but to make a device truely mobile, it should be waterproof.

I can really say that, now that i have my loveable defy. It's so awesome to have a helper with you, you can use everywhere at any weather without fear to damage it (well, except sauna and deep water, probably)

Given the costs of making a metal case... it might make sense if OpenPandora were selling hundreds of thousands instead of thousands of units. Maybe someday?

Sugru should cover the repairs and bump-proofing. Now a waterproof Pandora(but still lightweight mind you!) would be awesome.

waterproof and moving parts don't mix well!
Induction might cover that, but at a huge loss of power efficiency and speed. Enough handicaps to make that one unfeasible.

The hardest part will definitely be the hinge containing the flex cable for the LCD, although this might be solved in the same way that hard disks are sealed,

The SD-card slots are not that hard to waterproof

I'm extremely happy! I cant wait for the Open-Pandora to be the next big thing.

Also i cant wait for Feburary when i can get mine! :D

Thxx so much!

That extra RAM is a most welcome addition, as I'm planning to use the Pandora for actual development on-the-go. It's really going to help for that. Now I'm actually glad to be a late batch-one...er.

I'm extremely happy! I cant wait for the Open-Pandora to be the next big thing.

Also i cant wait for Feburary when i can get mine! :D

Thxx so much!
It will only ever be the next big thing in the geekygadget market. As said a while ago:

"The pandora is only a niche product, but it occupies a \/\/\/\/\/ good niche!"

As others have said also, the newer soc would be a slight upgrade over the current one. The primary difference seems to be in power efficiency, and it also has a higher "guaranteed" clock speed of 1,000Mhz compared to the pandora's 600Mhz. The other thing that I want to know is, will the new PCBs(once you use your current supply of SOCs) be underclocked to 600Mhz? Since I know that the omaps now have a "maximum" safe clock speed of 720Mhz. If that is it then that's a bit better than the old one. And if the gaming blogs and tech sites treat the official release of the pandora as they have the retrode 2(I've seen it everywhere in every tech based podcast/gaming site that I read), then it should have no problem selling out. If it does end up being like this, then I hope it lets the team begin development on the v2 model sooner. Since I cannot wait for one that has a slightly better CPU and GPU to accommodate the chance of a dreamcast emulator.

There's no new SOC, not yet anyway. The one ED was talking about before was just future discussion: they have thousands of the current one to go through first.

The upgrade he was talking about was the RAM, for which they didn't have thousands left, and is currently deco'd so they had no choice but to upgrade.

As far as Dreamcast emulator, there was a tech demo that showed a great deal of progress: it was running at a reasonable speed, but had a lot of graphical glitches. The developer had to stop because he didn't have a Pandora to actually do any testing and debugging on. So to put a different way, getting a new CPU and GPU shouldn't make any difference to the probability of a Dreamcast emulator appearing, the issue is finding someone with the technical experience and desire (and console on which to test) in order to actually finish the thing.

... the chance of a dreamcast emulator.

The developer had to stop because he didn't have a Pandora to actually do any testing and debugging on. So to put a different way, getting a new CPU and GPU shouldn't make any difference to the probability of a Dreamcast emulator appearing, the issue is finding someone with the technical experience and desire (and console on which to test) in order to actually finish the thing.

This seems like a bounty issue to either pay for the development or fund a Pandora for a developer.

I was only able to find one post about it.

I would honestly wish somebody start a bounty for the Dreamcast emulator
wink.gif

Given some time, something as significant as a Dreamcast emulator bounty is sure to come along.

I've got a lot of emulation-related stuff to go through before I get to the Dreamcast. If by then if there's an alpha quality demo and no bounty to improve it then I'd probably start one.

Given some time, something as significant as a Dreamcast emulator bounty is sure to come along.

I've got a lot of emulation-related stuff to go through before I get to the Dreamcast. If by then if there's an alpha quality demo and no bounty to improve it then I'd probably start one.

Well We were Teased with this video below when the Pandora was still in prototype phase.. However the developer of this emulator dropped off the face of the planet.. Although I think I read through rumors one of the developers may have the source code.. But I may of misread that somewhere.. It isn't running at a playable speed, and I'm not sure if the Pandora could run it at playable speed without some serious optimization.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vXJ0WtWGRLE?feature=oembed

Well We were Teased with this video below when the Pandora was still in prototype phase.. However the developer of this emulator dropped off the face of the planet.. Although I think I read through rumors one of the developers may have the source code.. But I may of misread that somewhere.. It isn't running at a playable speed, and I'm not sure if the Pandora could run it at playable speed without some serious optimization.

Well yeah that's one of the biggest thing that worry me. The only upside of the TI soc is that it's using the same "type" of GPU as the dreamcast and thus should be able to at least wrap around some of the hardware calls. But it's only able to render 3MPoly/s more than the dreamcast which is not enough of a buffer for me to feel safe about. It is going to need a lot of work, and thus that's why I'd feel a lot safer with a better SOC. Also I'm glad that they chose one of the most taxing games for the dreamcast to show it off. The slightly newer SOC is almost 3x as powerful as the dreamcast and I'm sure that someone could do the emulation without a crapton of optimization.

If someone could pull this off and make it full speed, I'm sure a lot more Pandora's would sell :) . Even if it wasn't quite full speed, but decent enough to play it, that would be amazing.

Cannot wait for February!!

I have preordered my Pandora with the €10 deposit and I'm just curious about whether I should have received any form of correspondence to say that I am in the queue.

I only have the paypal invoice.

I have preordered my Pandora with the €10 deposit and I'm just curious about whether I should have received any form of correspondence to say that I am in the queue.

You should have received:

• Thank you for preordering the Pandora! from info@openpandora.de
  • Your payment to OpenPandora GmbH from service@paypal.co.uk

If not, I suggest contacting EvilDragon.

You should have received:

• Thank you for preordering the Pandora! from info@openpandora.de
  • Your payment to OpenPandora GmbH from service@paypal.co.uk

If not, I suggest contacting EvilDragon.

I have emailed him once about how I will be notified for when the board is ready. I got very speedy response from this but then later I added a new email asking whether he could check my place on the queue as I am concerned my deposit was not put through properly. I have not received a response for this and have sent another message since.

Would he be likely to read this post?

It concerns me greatly as I would hate to be put to the back of the queue.

Back