1000th yet.. or have i missed it?

andyhamer

I vaguely remember Craig saying something about an announcement when units shipped reach 1000, is this still on? (if so it needs to be a video, with the (i hope now, ubiquitous bottle of vodka & hat, snow would be a bonus) will it include all replacement units so far?... over to you Craig

I vaguely remember Craig saying something about an announcement when units shipped reach 1000, is this still on? (if so it needs to be a video, with the (i hope now, ubiquitous bottle of vodka & hat, snow would be a bonus) will it include all replacement units so far?... over to you Craig
yeah they have passed the 1000 mark.Craig said he has some videos made,he just hasnt released them yet.

We have passed 1000 yes. Quite a while ago now. Heading for 2000 next week! :)
Holy carp, if I'm 1550-1650 then 2000 should be just about enough to expect an email, right!?!? Ooooh, I'm starting to feel happy again!!!!! (Also, I promised I would stop smoking when my Pandora arrived. So my wife has been anxiously waiting as well. Not that I am a heavy one or anything, just that I expect to have every ounce of free time using my Pandora. So it's a good excuse to stop even the occasions when I do. Also, if I quit it's less a temptation for her, she doesn't but deep down she really wants too. She just has more will power.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was pretty clear how he meant it...

I didn't think it was clear, and I still think so. Preorders opened "quite a while ago" (27.5 months). Pandoras first shipped "quite a while ago" (8 months). And so on. On a scale, where the most common length of time is "Two Months" (aka soon), two weeks is barely a blip.

Holy carp, if I'm 1550-1650 then 2000 should be just about enough to expect an email, right!?!? Ooooh, I'm starting to feel happy again!!!!! (Also, I promised I would stop smoking when my Pandora arrived. So my wife has been anxiously waiting as well. Not that I am a heavy one or anything, just that I expect to have every ounce of free time using my Pandora. So it's a good excuse to stop even the occasions when I do. Also, if I quit it's less a temptation for her, she doesn't but deep down she really wants too. She just has more will power.)

I would advise a little circumspection regarding an imminent email, i am 1200 - 1300 and not expecting anything for at least another 2+ weeks (Craig & co much to my irritation have to eat/drink & sleep) best wishes with the smoking thing though, it was a probably (ill advised) resolution of mine also & so far i haven't broken it (honest!) i am struggling though (and the Pandora im sure would help mitigate the cravings) if you have a supportive partner that is almost half the battle..

Also you got to remember a percentage of every Pandoras made goes to Germany for fill orders for ED's shop, think Fatih gets some too if I'm not mistaken.

I would advise a little circumspection regarding an imminent email, i am 1200 - 1300 and not expecting anything for at least another 2+ weeks (Craig & co much to my irritation have to eat/drink & sleep) best wishes with the smoking thing though, it was a probably (ill advised) resolution of mine also & so far i haven't broken it (honest!) i am struggling though (and the Pandora im sure would help mitigate the cravings) if you have a supportive partner that is almost half the battle..

Yeah, but still as said after you, I am keeping in consideration ones going to ED and Fatih, as well as RMA's but 450-550 units should be enough that if they get another batch of boards, mine shouldn't be too far behind! I would like to think when Craig announces they hit the 2000 mark, I should be so close as to be this optimistic. Now that things are getting close, I am getting excited. With my wife starting back to school again for another semester, I really badly need my Pandora as I might as well be staring at the wall while she is studying. She has an online course so I will lose my laptop to her as well.

As for my resolution/promise, it was something I had thought about, on a really bad day I might have half a pack. I've had really bad days for awhile now. If I quit, I can save for SD cards. The more SD cards, the more I will be prepping movies, music and new games etc for play. Then add playing it on top of that, customization, learning to make pixel art, learning Linux like I know Windows, so many things to do that I could conceivably quit without noticing! One of my pet peeves has always been anyone holding my electronics with a cig in their hand. You think that wouldn't bother me, but since I will have the Pandora with me as if it were an appendage until it's completely dead, I will find it difficult to keep smoking. The good thing is I started late (mid 20's) and never did it much (every day, but limited) and have survived not smoking for 2-3 days before (although lately I'm not sure I could!) so it won't be easy, but I think a combination of all the above will help me. It's like food, if you enjoy it, no matter how much you know you need to make the change, it's hard, especially when everything around you sucks, to deny yourself the little things you can enjoy. Which is why I figured a new joy, my Pandora, will be the key.

Supportive partner, well that's a funny one. It's my wife, she has a breathing issue which would always rear it's ugly head after she smoked about 3 cigs. SO she would only do that every so often then wait a couple of weeks or a few months then smoke again (I think it's asthma but it's not diagnosed.) The funny thing is she has a weekly "girls night" in which her other friends smoke like chimneys, this has actually given her the breathing problem as it's affecting her like she was smoking every week which she couldn't do before. She loves it but avoids it due to her possible asthma, yet is suffering from the effects of it, now that she doesn't do it at all anymore. Crazy huh?

Oh well, Tax time is coming around soon, so I hope to get another SD card and hopefully will have my Pandora then and the fun will begin!

Amazing this ride has been, weird to think it's almost over. I just can't wait to have all the anguish and disappointment end and experience this device. SO much of the last couple of years has revolved around these forums and the wait. It will be great to come here to see all the updates and conversations about us using it, not waiting for it!

Also, glad to see you are doing well. Hearing of others kicking it is helpful!

As for my resolution/promise, it was something I had thought about, on a really bad day I might have half a pack. I've had really bad days for awhile now. If I quit, I can save for SD cards. The more SD cards, the more I will be prepping movies, music and new games etc for play. Then add playing it on top of that, customization, learning to make pixel art, learning Linux like I know Windows, so many things to do that I could conceivably quit without noticing! One of my pet peeves has always been anyone holding my electronics with a cig in their hand. You think that wouldn't bother me, but since I will have the Pandora with me as if it were an appendage until it's completely dead, I will find it difficult to keep smoking. The good thing is I started late (mid 20's) and never did it much (every day, but limited) and have survived not smoking for 2-3 days before (although lately I'm not sure I could!) so it won't be easy, but I think a combination of all the above will help me. It's like food, if you enjoy it, no matter how much you know you need to make the change, it's hard, especially when everything around you sucks, to deny yourself the little things you can enjoy. Which is why I figured a new joy, my Pandora, will be the key.

When im not in a craving induced foul temper (which is seldom lately) that is pretty much the way i am looking at things.. my other half can't wait for the Pandora (or as she refers to it "the appliance") to arrive either, but i suspect her reasons aren't purely altruistic (she is a ScummVM addict)

In my moments of weakness (and i've had plenty) i can't help thinking of what Bill Hicks said.. "I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your ******* mouth"

When im not in a craving induced foul temper (which is seldom lately) that is pretty much the way i am looking at things.. my other half can't wait for the Pandora (or as she refers to it "the appliance") to arrive either, but i suspect her reasons aren't purely altruistic (she is a ScummVM addict)

In my moments of weakness (and i've had plenty) i can't help thinking of what Bill Hicks said.. "I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your ******* mouth"

Nice quote, I suspect I will be needing to recall this at some point! :D

I think of all things, my wife wishes my Pandora to arrive for 2 reasons. 1. Just for the sole purpose of not being out the money.

The second reason is a bit more, well, difficult. I would say it was so she wouldn't have to hear me talking about it anymore, but for the most part of 2010 I only really mentioned it a few times unless she asked "So what's the deal with that thing you are waiting for", I'm afraid now she looks at me getting it as a double edge sword, as getting it relives her faith I didn't toss the money into oblivion, but getting it means I'll be talking about it constantly again.

She definitely has no interest in the Pandora, at least yet. She's not much into gaming. Recently however, I have managed to get her hooked on a couple of games. I installed Peggle this last weekend and had her try it, she played for about half an hour, got stuck and said "One more try and I'm done, I can't get past this." 5 hours later, she's saying it again on the last board of the main game. From what I have seen already available on the Pandora, I find it doubtful she can resist it. :D

I've been smoke free now for a year and 8 months after smoking for 14 years, and it is harder than giving up alcohol, which I had done for 4 and a half years now! What worked for me was using e-cigs with no nicotine for a month and a half, although you get physically sick (like a common cold with vomiting), but then you can veer off of the e-cigs pretty easily... The cravings though never go away, you just have to occupy yourself with something else (mints) as soon as you get that initial craving. The thing I miss most is the "going out for a cigarette" and what I do then is go hang out with the smokers just to get out of the bar, club, or restaurant.

I've been smoke free now for a year and 8 months after smoking for 14 years, and it is harder than giving up alcohol, which I had done for 4 and a half years now! What worked for me was using e-cigs with no nicotine for a month and a half, although you get physically sick (like a common cold with vomiting), but then you can veer off of the e-cigs pretty easily... The cravings though never go away, you just have to occupy yourself with something else (mints) as soon as you get that initial craving. The thing I miss most is the "going out for a cigarette" and what I do then is go hang out with the smokers just to get out of the bar, club, or restaurant.

I hadn't even thought of that. Being the weird nerdy guy, I found that I was much more accepted when I went out for a smoke. If I don't, I'll likely go back to being ignored. LOL

Still, the hardest part won't be the quitting. But the convincing myself I actually want to. Once I want something, nothing usually keeps me from doing it. That's the part I have always believed was the real difficulty with smoking. You have to want to quit. Not just say it. Or it will not happen. My wife's Grandmother smoked for 50 years. Doctor said stop, she agreed and never had another. Will is very powerful, if you really want it.

I hadn't even thought of that. Being the weird nerdy guy, I found that I was much more accepted when I went out for a smoke. If I don't, I'll likely go back to being ignored. LOL

Still, the hardest part won't be the quitting. But the convincing myself I actually want to. Once I want something, nothing usually keeps me from doing it. That's the part I have always believed was the real difficulty with smoking. You have to want to quit. Not just say it. Or it will not happen. My wife's Grandmother smoked for 50 years. Doctor said stop, she agreed and never had another. Will is very powerful, if you really want it.
Absolutely will is the absolute strongest thing of all! If you feel you're not ready, don't do it, cause you'll just relapse. Pushing people to quit is the absolute worst! The more people pushed me to quit, the more I resisted, until people eased off and I found peace within myself and decided I didn't need to anymore. ALL of my friends smoke, except two who have quit within the last year and are doing good. I knew a man who died at 98 smoked since he was 12 (Lucky Strikes unfiltered! Very harsh!), had emphysema and other heart and lung issues, and decided carrying an oxygen tank around was better than quitting! Just make sure you make your own decisions and are OK with them.

[...] using e-cigs with no nicotine for a month and a half, although you get physically sick (like a common cold with vomiting), but then you can veer off of the e-cigs pretty easily [...] The thing I miss most is the "going out for a cigarette" [...]

It's interesting that you mention e-cigs. I am a regular (and somewhat fanatical) user of (nicotine-free) personal vapourisers. As a matter of fact, I am not even what you'd call an "ex-smoker" though I've tried it a few times. I just liked the idea of them and got hooked (not physically; think of it as a hobby). However, you seem to be saying that you got sick while using them-- is that the nicotine withdrawal you're talking about?

The reason I'm replying like this is because unless the e-cigs were indeed causing your illness (which I find unlikely unless you are allergic to propylene glycol), there was no reason to give them up. Truly, e-cigs are harmless; they are the future of "smoking" (fanatics call it vaping) and can cause no more cancer than those fog machines at raves and parties. They are (in comparison to cigarettes) practically odourless and unlike cigarettes they come in several delicious flavours.

I hear of many people "quitting smoking" who use e-cigs, only to do as you did and drop them after they think they don't need them anymore; they are considered a temporary analogue to smoking-- a bit like "training wheels" but in the reverse direction-- and not a healthier, safer, tastier, cheaper (in the long run) alternative.

I'm not the spokesperson of any company nor am I trying to "convert" you; I am simply stating that there is no reason to give up that "going out for a smoke" social time. Hell, it even gives you a conversation point-- "Why is your cigarette burning blue/green/purple/orange? Why does it have a button? What is that faint smell of blueberry cheesecake?"

I actually plan on using a passthrough (think e-cig with infinite batteries) with the Pandora if I can (the voltage may be too high).

Back