16days Entries Discussion

Er, yeah, thanks mate, I had managed to crack that code, just giving my impression of the emulator that's all. Also in Batman the Movie it asks me to press Play then any key so I'm not sure how I press Play within the emulator (It is a DSK file)...

Great emulator though, with fCPC as well we will be spoiled for choice soon!

®

I am especially pleased with Pituka (Amstrad CPC emu). For all others interested in this beautiful machine, look at www.amstrad.dk (note, that downloads seem to be offline at the moment)

lacuna's nice and hard (never got more than 10000 pts),
elena's great fun (6280 pts, yeah)

but both the fentix games just result in a black screen with a white letter W in the top left (yes, I did copy the .rte in the gpsys), anyone got the same problem?

Have any of you tried the SMS emu? Its one of the best emus on the GP - its not a port its an all new emu with a fantastic interface.

It is also the only emu to correctly support animated tiles (see robocod parallax effect).

-Craig

www.gbax.com

but both the fentix games just result in a black screen with a white letter W in the top left (yes, I did copy the .rte in the gpsys), anyone got the same problem?

Don't execute them under Windups. Slubman's Firmware and European one are right for that matter.

Wow... The entries for this compo are impressive.

I've only tried Tobi Drumman, PbSynth, MGS and Elena... But I'm just... well... impressed...

craigix posted on Oct 28 2004 at 11:25 PM said:
Have any of you tried the SMS emu? Its one of the best emus on the GP - its not a port its an all new emu with a fantastic interface.

It is also the only emu to correctly support animated tiles (see robocod parallax effect).

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I've played a few games on it. It blew me away ... very tight presentation (love the zoomed-out feature while pausing, going into the menu)

Marble Madness doesn't display the Marble correctly, but all other games run perfectly so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice, yes. But there seemed to be a little space to the left on some sms games that doesn't work right (Sonic 2 has it), but this is a WIP and a very impressive one at that. :D

Although... The orange border is very distracting, I think.. it would be nice if it had the option to have a plain black border (or maybe skins). Plus, it would be nice if it displayed the full name in the selection screen because a lot of games on my list show up as with the same name, which means I have to try a couple times to get the right one.

I really like Deluxe Snake and I think this will stay on my card for some time. I'm a great fan of the snake principle and I have written a snake clone for windows that can be found here (sort of discontinued) and also a small gp32 port, but I'm too lazy to finish it and it's really nothing compared to Deluxe Snake. Because of my experiences, I know how hard it is to get the feeling of the game right, to make it feel smooth and responsive, and to make the gameplay motivating, and I think that Deluxe Snake has accomplished this quite well. It really keeps me hooked!

After all this candy, here's some constructive criticism:

The mixing is broken! If samples and music are played at the same time, or even multiple samples are played together, overflows appear and the sound is cracking and very very disturbing, so please fix this by reducing the volumes of samples/music!

The size of the game is too big. Could you at least release a version without music/additional backgrounds or whatever blows up the size?

What do all these funny numbers in the HUD mean? Please explain them!

You tell me that you save my highscore but I can never see it or enter my name anywhere. This would be very important for player motivation and the addictive factor.

The pause feature is not very userfriendly. Normally, I pause a game to have my hands free to do something else, so having to push the L-Button all the time just isn't the right solution.

I want levels! You know like some obstaces in the way if the snake, walls, labyriths! I'm willing to provide my tilesets and source code for this, it would be really cool!

I assume this version you released for the compo is not finished, so just ignore any things I said that you were going to do anyway.

I'm really looking forward to further development. A big thumb up for Deluxe Snake!

uhh you walk around and avoid the bad guys
the levels are basic but they are fun

the camera is amazing for a homebrewn game on the gp32
when you get on a wall if will zoom to right in front of you and other stuff
it's nice

out of the games i've played i like gpmax the best
for some reason it works perfectly on my gp32
i don't know whats wrong with the rest of yall

(Masterlator)
shinneri posted on Oct 29 2004 at 01:35 AM said:
Plus, it would be nice if it displayed the full name in the selection screen because a lot of games on my list show up as with the same name, which means I have to try a couple times to get the right one.

And a directory cache... I have the full GoodSMS collection on my SMC, needs a few minutes every time I load a rom ;)

Last edited:
I wish I looked at these earlier... they look awesome. Also, it looks like some people look at the cool ideas and other wishes orum with things like the helicopter game, akanoid, and smash bros. :)

Edit: I just sampled some stuff, and I'm really impressed :) I just wish that the camera angles in smash bros were a bit slower and didn't get so close up. Also, a bigger playing field would be nice :)

As or akanoid, it's really good as well. nice colors and design. The ball goes a little too fast for me, though, but not bad enough to keep me from plaing it.

i think that masterlator is the best sms emulator ever for the gp32.
the bug fsms had, was the vsync problem. many games, playing with fsms had certically syncronisations probs, but masterlator hasn't.
althogh, it seems to have a bug with golden axe warrior, which is a) my fave but B) has no scrolling, so can be played with fsms :)

the really best entry is, in my opinion, Aka Noid, but it is no new release, so new entrances should be judged first. but this game, even it's a remake, really is professional.

this is really a very very great competition. i wonder, where these coders come from. thanks to all of you, i'm still trying out. i'm now trying to get confirm with gpsmash, but i don't know the original, nor know the sence of the game, but it's fast graphics without any dissapointments (except my stupitdity).

the amstrad emu also plays great, except the handling (the handling doesn't play ;) it's just a bit complicated), but thats a minor "prob". i never had an amstrad (i had a c64), but there are a lots of games, i'd like to play. (i'm so happy, wings of fury works perfectly, which doesn't work with frodo :) )

Fantastic competition, I've done a short writeup of each entry in the reviews section - check it out!

The surprise entry could well be opensnes, after all, Yoyo loves to surprise us!

I've had enough reading this thread now - off to bash woogals score at Lacuna ;)

frolik posted on Oct 29 2004 at 03:06 AM said:
Fantastic competition, I've done a short writeup of each entry in the reviews section - check it out!

The surprise entry could well be opensnes, after all, Yoyo loves to surprise us!

I've had enough reading this thread now - off to bash woogals score at Lacuna ;)
Wouldn't that be awsome though? That really would be cool...

Anyway, I've loved the competition so far. The Metal Gear Solid game, despite being a little chunky, is actually challenging and pretty fun. Lacuna is very addictive, although extremely difficult. SmashGP is very nicely done, although not much can be done with it right now. GPMax is good fun, to say the least. I'm pretty addicted to it, although the songs are kind of long.

You guys our missing out on PBsynth, Ive played all of them but ended up playing with this little gem for a good 2 hours. I dont know how I got so amused but I did. I really enjoy soo much from this competition its hard to choose. Ill edit this when I get adicted to something else, which should be in the next few minutes when I replay some of these.

Lacuna - since I know about the a button (what a dumbass i am, too excited to play for reading readmes) I think im going to go back and give it a go. I like the idea of the game I just thought it too hard. This next try should make me hide in the corner in shame (hopefully)

Ndreams- weird..but I ended up playing that for about 45 minutes as well. Not exactly sure whats goin on there though.

Elena - BUNG..what else do I have to say. mmm..3d tetris.

Tobi - so much added. so much fun.

Smash - with work could be one of the best homebrew. Some size issues maybe.

I liked AKA NOID GpSmash lacuna metal gear solid (although laggy) and cavecoptor.

AKA NOID is great because it has alot of features load/save states, level editor, I especially liked playing with the laser. :)

GpSmash is fun as well. The camera issue didn't really bother me that much. Nice beatemup

Lacuna was very addictive, nothing more to be said.. :)

Metal Gear Solid was laggy I must say, but I still played it. Was somewhat hard, but I
love a challenge. :p

Cavecoptor was nice as well.

Anyways these were my favorites thatI tried, I did not try them all for one reason or the other. ;)

Back