Release 1Ghz boards. Fancy one?

There is no need for this "feedback on any software issues" or hidden forum at all, it's already known we have full compatibility. It seems Craig wants to do some premium early access thing.

I think other people will want to know some statistics from numerous pieces of software as to how much faster they run, or if they run faster at all.

You think people will not want to know this?

There are literally thousands of things people could test, PC emulation alone will be huge.

Personally, I think it would be nice, when/if we go retail with this unit to be able to have answers and videos for as much software as possible.

This test run will give us that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I know PSX, Webbrowsing, UAE4ALL, Hurrican and eMailing works great, as this is what I'm using when I'm on-the-go with my testing unit ;)

Hiding the forums does seem unnecessary.

I know you're going through the testing right now, but I would be happy if you and ED could decide on whether you will pursue the DM3730 based Pandoras, and at what price point you will sell them at, and how this affects old preorders.

To me, this does have a tinge of another exclusive scheme, that need not be exclusive. I thought the DM3730 was supposed to be cheaper per unit? (Although I know the smaller test runs are expensive).

Thanks.

Leave it open for reading, but only those that have ordered the 1Ghz have post permissions? That would allow others to keep up to date without cluttering it with questions from the proverbial peanut gallery :p

It needs to be clear that for now these are a custom modification to see if a) the market exists for them
I sense the answer within the last 22 posts: No.

You'll need truly supporters for those units, that's nothing i would call a market.

Your pricing is without logical basics. An upgaded 1GHz Pandora of a rebirth Pandora will cost $1000 (btw. +VAT?) at all (rebirth pandora + upgrade), without old pandora $700, so the difference from rebirth to 1GHz is $200. That would be an upgrade price i could think about. And i'm pandora investor, which means logically i do harm my investment by this statement. But there should be some kind of understandable pricing concept. It looks like you don't want to sell to previous pandora owners, your testing would be done by unexperienced new pandora users then - which could not do a comparision between the old and new units.

There is no need for this "feedback on any software issues" or hidden forum at all, it's already known we have full compatibility. It seems Craig wants to do some premium early access thing.
I think other people will want to know some statistics from numerous pieces of software as to how much faster they run, or if they run faster at all.

Yes we may. But how could we see it if the units a hidden in a special secrect forum???

If crossposting is allowed, then a secret forum makes no sense.

Well I'm happy to leave it open, but let's hope it does not effect current business.
If it does, it's the responsibility of the thread starter. Why is there so much difference between your posting and others regarding the test requirements of the software? Can the new unit really run at 1,2GHz? My old one does 800MHz easily, i did't try 1GHz so far but if it works +50% and the new one can do 1,5GHz? You are vague as usual and want others to spend $1000 or $700. Is there a free upgrade right to the final units if there are improvements done?

Well I'm happy to leave it open, but let's hope it does not effect current business.

Don't see why it would if the 1 Ghz units are sold at a premium price until all the old SOC's are used up.

Talking of price, are the costs mentioned on the original post inclusive of VAT?

I'm also wondering if the new SOC's require a new PCB? My understanding was that no modifications to the PCB would be required for the upgraded SOC's, i.e. it would be like upgrading a CPU on a PC with a faster model of identical 'socket type'.

Don't see why it would if the 1 Ghz units are sold at a premium price until all the old SOC's are used up.

Talking of price, are the costs mentioned on the original post inclusive of VAT?

I'm also wondering if the new SOC's require a new PCB? My understanding was that no modifications to the PCB would be required for the upgraded SOC's, i.e. it would be like upgrading a CPU on a PC with a faster model of identical 'socket type'.

Yes, they do work on the current PCB. There were some odd faults with the first test run though which are being sorted out now.

It needs to be clear that for now these are a custom modification to see if a) the market exists for them
I sense the answer within the last 22 posts: No.

You'll need truly supporters for those units, that's nothing i would call a market.

Your pricing is without logical basics. An upgaded 1GHz Pandora of a rebirth Pandora will cost $1000 (btw. +VAT?) at all (rebirth pandora + upgrade), without old pandora $700, so the difference from rebirth to 1GHz is $200. That would be an upgrade price i could think about. And i'm pandora investor, which means logically i do harm my investment by this statement. But there should be some kind of understandable pricing concept. It looks like you don't want to sell to previous pandora owners, your testing would be done by unexperienced new pandora users then - which could not do a comparision between the old and new units.

The pricing is on a very logical basis - a small run of boards like this is very expensive. This isn't a retail offer, it's an offer simply for people who want to upgrade now and get their hands on the latest tech on more of a hacker basis.

What are you suggesting we do? Sell them at a loss? $699 or even $649 is the only reasonable, profit making cost we could sell the 1Ghz unit at.

Yes, they do work on the current PCB. There were some odd faults with the first test run though which are being sorted out now.
So is the upgrade a chip or a board?

What are you suggesting we do? Sell them at a loss? $699 or even $649 is the only reasonable, profit making cost we could sell the 1Ghz unit at.
If it's an upgrade, and it's a full board replacement with you keeping the old board, then you can effectively make an additional Pandora unit for sale for realtively cheap (cost of the screen, case etc.). You could use that additional unit sale to offset against the new board.

I already sent a PM to ED a while ago but got no answer. I still have a pending 1. Batch preorder from Oct. 09 at EDs shop. Can I upgrade this order (paying) to a 1Ghz board? I don't need two Pandoras and I don't have the money for two but refunding it would be more work for me and ED.

Here's the thing. I actually would be happy to pay for this upgrade, at least with the added luxury of the stronger casing and new nubs. Anything that can prolong the lastability and capability of my pandora sounds like good news to me But right now is the worst possible time (currently saving to rent a house with my brother at the end of the year). Is it going to be possible to upgrade like this, say, next year? I know that the pandora2 is pretty far off so I'm not really holding out for it.

So is the upgrade a chip or a board?

If it's an upgrade, and it's a full board replacement with you keeping the old board, then you can effectively make an additional Pandora unit for sale for realtively cheap (cost of the screen, case etc.). You could use that additional unit sale to offset against the new board.

That's what we're doing. But you have to consider the board may need repairs or simply be uneconomical to use. So far 5 people with on-their-last-legs units have requested the new board, so their unit will most likely only be useful for us to evaluate how they deteriorate over time.

Replacing nubs, SD slots, power switches, microphones etc. is time consuming costly work.

I'd just like to make this clear once again, this isn't a retail offer, it's more for hackers or people who want to be ahead of the current tech, you don't have to buy these boards!

Here's the thing. I actually would be happy to pay for this upgrade, at least with the added luxury of the stronger casing and new nubs. Anything that can prolong the lastability and capability of my pandora sounds like good news to me But right now is the worst possible time (currently saving to rent a house with my brother at the end of the year). Is it going to be possible to upgrade like this, say, next year? I know that the pandora2 is pretty far off so I'm not really holding out for it.

If they are a success, yes.

My thoughts

Too expensive for me

Glad stuff is being well tested before production

Needs some real proof of significant performance increase

Please don't hide the tester's forum

I'd certainly be interested in upgrading my Pandora at some stage, to get the faster processor, increased memory and and sturdier case, but I'll have to hold off for the time being for the same reasons as above. I thought the general plan was to upgrade to these faster boards completely in the long term, as the current ones are no longer available for purchase? If so, does that mean that the Pandora will only be available from $649/699 from that point onwards, or would the prices be lowered to reflect larger production runs?

I'd certainly be interested in upgrading my Pandora at some stage, to get the faster processor, increased memory and and sturdier case, but I'll have to hold off for the time being for the same reasons as above. I thought the general plan was to upgrade to these faster boards completely in the long term, as the current ones are no longer available for purchase? If so, does that mean that the Pandora will only be available from $649/699 from that point onwards, or would the prices be lowered to reflect larger production runs?

Totally depends on how these 1Ghz units go.

But the price will mostly likely have to increase, making a tiny computer is expensive.

That said though, it's not more than current smart phones - and with the Pandora there isn't any more to pay, most software is free.

We're seeing nice numbers on the new SoC though, but want to let the users be the final judge. Be aware it's more than just the CPU which is faster, the whole SoC is improved.

It certainly brings things like web browsing up to great speeds, PC emulation & A1200 should also be really nice on the 1Ghz.

Back