2d Level Designer

Although probably off-topic, because I don't see myself using this for GP2X games, this is going to help me - so thanks.

I'm in the middle of writing a clone of Castle Of The Winds, using the extracted icons from the program itself. I hate drawing so I plan to make a clone with those icons/sprites for the time being, then get someone to draw a new set once I've got things how I want them. I can't be bothered to extract/replicate the level data of the original (and wouldn't really want to anyway, in the same way that the statistics, combat etc. are going to be my own), so I'll probably end up using this.

This will be a big help when it comes to laying out the first level because I always end up hand-coding it because working on a level editor for a game that isn't written is just a pain in the backside. So, I'll mock up a couple of levels with this, paste the code into a hard-coded file and get things working how they should before I start having to actually "design" levels.

I know there are a million and one "Hack-clones" already but I always liked CoTW's quick gameplay, no-fuss interface, simple-enough icons, etc.

Back