2Nd Review Case Should Arrive Soon.

Unfortunately there isnt anything even resembling perfection anywhere Tom. I have a simple dell inspiron 15, wiht ubuntu. when I received it, I ws more than pleased. but it has what I call a basic finish. now the dell 15's at best buy have a more if you want to call a polished look., but it doesnt play any better than my plain fisnhed model. I know what your getting at about something that looks good, when your trying to sell soemthign, but since no one outside but the sekct few have seen the most recent cases, there isnt anyway to determien what they looked like. they maybe the best looking thing ever made, but none of us have ever seen a case. the main thing, is that nothing in this world can be perfect, if itwas , then there would be no one trying to build somethign better.

plus you cant say we want a pandora FAST, since if the second batch comes out a lot better, people on the first batch will complain ALOT!
people might even want to get a exchange for newer units and since they were preorderers and bla bla bla... you get it.

yo dont want that someone that spent a lil more money and near no wait gets a better unit.

Early on, people probably thought they wee going to get them fast, but that is not the deal now. Drone you do make a good point. its just right now we dont have any chocie in waht kind of finish we get, as its a problem jsut getting new cases here.

true, i never expected these delays since they told me its expected to be ready at september and here we are.

but if they really showed up any kind of faster option, i believe you would have to bail to any future warranty. so no option but to keep waitin.

DroneB Dev said:
plus you cant say we want a pandora FAST, since if the second batch comes out a lot better, people on the first batch will complain ALOT!
people might even want to get a exchange for newer units and since they were preorderers and bla bla bla... you get it.

yo dont want that someone that spent a lil more money and near no wait gets a better unit.

The second batch cases are going to be made from the same run as the first. The injection mold company is doing a run of 10k, 4k will be used for the first batch, the rest to be used for the second batch or beyond. So, any issues with the case from the first batch will still be issues with the second batch. People will have nothing to complain about there.

Last edited by a moderator:
So cases need minor fixes (yay)

How is texas doing now on the boards? Any estimation of the timeframe the boards are ready or are there already more than the notorious 105?

craigix said:
The last cases we got (last week) were almost perfect, the list of issues is small - and might be fixed already.

It's a catch22 for us, we know if we go with cases with any faults we will get it in the neck come delivery, and if we delay to make them perfect we get it for delaying.

If MWeston isn't happy with them still then I'm happy to wait, it's not you guys, the devs' fault, it's the factory now it appears to me; there's no point in paying them and getting a sub-standard case.

I think we'd all rather wait we just need to know what's going on, roughly when the next set of cases are due to arrive and what's fixed etc., whether or not the factory believe these samples to be the ones or whether we've got to wait for them to send another on top of it.

may88 said:
We're close. Very close. There is not much left to stop us having our Pandora.

People have been saying that since June.

craigix said:
The last cases we got (last week) were almost perfect

That's what you said about the last revision. And the first revision.

And this is the issue. Nobody, not even the OP team seem to have a clue about how much time these things take. And everybody is so sure that the next thing that needs to be done will be perfect the first time.

My Pandora will arrive on Feb 24th, anyway. That's what I was told in a dream I had (sad I know, but it was only a very small part of the dream!) Seems about as a reliable source as any...

Transmition said:
People are going to order the device based on how well it works, and if they can get it, not how pretty it is. Remember, this is not the average consumer, this is the linux consumer. Functionality > Aesthetic Quality. If it is a bit bumpy, I don't think people are going to care too much if it means that things don't get delayed for another 3 months.

I'm not a Linux user, I may occasionally have been in the same room as someone using Linux. None of my friends or co-workers uses Linux either. And I will be showing my Pandora to all of them and a lot of other people who have never used Linux.

^I'm in the same boat. I have some basic Linux knowledge, but Pandora will be my main learning device :)

Im just happy they tell us whats going down, other Handheld makers dont say anything till the very end, Good thing come to the ones who wait...no, anyways keep at it guys make it so sexy that when we all get our Pandora, our eyes will pop out and everything...goodluck

craigix said:
The last cases we got (last week) were almost perfect, the list of issues is small - and might be fixed already.

It's a catch22 for us, we know if we go with cases with any faults we will get it in the neck come delivery, and if we delay to make them perfect we get it for delaying.

You don't "get it" for the delays. You "get it" for the lies. Did you really believe on December 13 that you will ship in December? I can't believe you are that stupid.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50894-developers-getting-pandaras-before-the-customers/page__view__findpost__p__785143

Awakening said:
Transmition said:
craigix said:

Have a poll and find out which one will make people the happiest. That way you minimize your losses.

If the Pandora is not perfect when reviewed then they will lose on future sales instead. If the first batch is reviewed as perfect then more are likely to preorder from the second.

The longer development takes the better the software will be when we get our own Pandoras anyway.
How exactly will the Pandoras software be better off if only a handful of developers own a Pandora? Think about this, if it was released a year ago then Craig and the team would of had a year to work on the OS instead of multitasking and we probaly would of had 100s of games, many emulators and people learning how to program to. As for the cases I honestly don't think it'll be a problem shipping them with minor imperfections. Its only been more than 160 days since the cases were being made so I think we can at least expect a decent case by now. I really want MWestion or Craig to show us these so called imperfections in a video cause I'm having troubles believing the Chinese company can't even get it right in 160 days. Just because alot of us have experienced over a year of BS doesn't make waiting a month anyless painless and more tolerable. Btw how is Wizzley presto and the icontrolpad going

aq21 said:
craigix said:

You don't "get it" for the delays. You "get it" for the lies. Did you really believe on December 13 that you will ship in December? I can't believe you are that stupid.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50894-developers-getting-pandaras-before-the-customers/page__view__findpost__p__785143

How is he going to benefit from lying to you?

It is obviously what he thought of the situation at the time.

Stop having a cry about it, you wont get it any quicker. But please do carry on slagging the devs off, you really dont look like a complete tosser when doing it.

Shaun. said:
How exactly will the Pandoras software be better off if only a handful of developers own a Pandora? Think about this, if it was released a year ago then Craig and the team would of had a year to work on the OS instead of multitasking and we probaly would of had 100s of games, many emulators and people learning how to program to. As for the cases I honestly don't think it'll be a problem shipping them with minor imperfections. Its only been more than 160 days since the cases were being made so I think we can at least expect a decent case by now. I really want MWestion or Craig to show us these so called imperfections in a video cause I'm having troubles believing the Chinese company can't even get it right in 160 days. Just because alot of us have experienced over a year of BS doesn't make waiting a month anyless painless and more tolerable. Btw how is Wizzley presto and the icontrolpad going

Of course all software would be better today if the Pandora had been released a year ago. But a year ago it would have been horrible, like the WiFi wouldn't work etc. And even if the first batch was released a year ago wouldn't mean that Craig and co would have much less work to do. The 2nd batch as well as the marketing and selling would then take up time. At least all these small batches of example cases means more close-to-MP Pandoras will be put into the hands of very skilled developers. A lot of Pandoras will end up in the hands of people who want a problem free device, or at least will have people like that around them to show it to.

aq21 said:
Perhaps "lies" is too strong. I'd go with "intentionally misleading". He always phrases his statements so that it doesn't really say anything firm.

Moxie said:
If anything, this kind of nagging is what drives overoptimistic estimates, in that the only thing that Craig can do at this point is to give an estimate to get some respite from the constant nag-choir.
But ... It's the overoptimistic estimates that causes the nagging!

Large crowds of people behave in pretty predictable ways. The OP team has made a serious failure of managing customer expectations. To complain about the way a crowd reacts to a 13 month delay is about as useful as complaining that it gets cold in the winter. (Although, now that I mention it, people do that to.)

Back