2Nd Screen

JagAgemo

Still Fresh
so the Pandora uses the Archos 605's screen which you can buy a replacement for on line. so would it be possible to make that screen a usb touch screen with some discreet hacking and connect it to the Pandora for a 2nd screen OR having a handy touch screen for you desk/lap top?

I have no real hardware exp. and as such I can't tell the level of difficulty for such a project but it my mind it seems plausible.

thanks.

Damn, I can't find that quote right now. The LCD cables are different IIRC. Also you would need a proper driver chip for the LCD to use it on a laptop. There are USB screens out there you could use though.

mali said:
There are USB screens out there you could use though.
Those are driver-dependent, and while it's not impossible, it is unlikely any of those drivers are open enough to be ported to the Pandora. Those devices also use heavy real-time compression to get video out through the USB bus. Even if drivers could be made, that compression would eat up a large portion of the Pandora's processing capabilities.

If you want to use a second display, your pretty much limited to TV-out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. I heard about USB touch screens and thought of the Pandora.
Sorry for being a newbie to what seems to be an already thought of idea (to my defenses I did surf for about an hour before even consider posting).

Thank you all for your timely responses.

mali said:
Damn, I can't find that quote right now. The LCD cables are different IIRC. Also you would need a proper driver chip for the LCD to use it on a laptop. There are USB screens out there you could use though.
you mean this one mali?

it's the same screen as the archos 605 except for:

MWeston said:
Enverex said:
Replacement screens can be purchased already, they are £120 though (look up the Archos 605 screens).
Actually, the Archos 605 screen won't work in Pandora. Even though it's basically the same display with all of the 60 pins on the cable being the same, they are flipped! (Pin 1 = Pin 60). Archos took the display and asked the manufacturer to make a custom version with the reverse pinout and the cable off to one side instead of down the center. Comparisons to the Archos screen are only good for screen quality and glossiness analysis.

MWeston said:
The PCB in the Archos 605 is off to one side and the hard drive is on the other side. They did that so they could make it nice and easy for them to build and since they can place an order for a million displays, what manufacturer would say no?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49994-pandora-accessories-at-gbax-shop/
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50730-does-pandora-share-a-screen-with-the-archos-5-internet-tablet/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an idea if you want a secondary touch screen that can control parts of the pandora/software.
A pain in the ass, but still cheap.

DS LCD/Touch Screen (-$10 on ebay), an Arduino (use RBBB- : $12 from moderndevice.com) to interface with.

THEN nterface the arduino with the Pandora via USB and serial console..

It is possible to do it to Windows/Linux/Mac.
Not sure about ARM cores, but if someone can port Arduino GUI (I will try once I get my Panda) and get some arduino compatable software like Flash etc running on the system you could get it to work that way.

Long, Boring.. Not worth the effort, but will work.

There are linux hackable usb-monitors. Just look at this:

http://hackaday.com/2009/08/24/adding-a-displaylink-monitor-to-a-linux-router/

Back