720p? 1080p? 1440p?

If the lower res screen has better extras (birghtness, response time, etc.) I'll be willing to pay extra
Then maybe, I guess it depends how much extra, and how much better then extras are.

I beg your pardon ? Even a recent OLED screen from the Galaxy S3 or 4 has problems in direct sunlight: You can't see things well at all even at full screen power under a powerful soon at high noon. The only thing that works very well with directly sunlight is e-ink screens (but you most avoid the direct reflection of the sun to your eyes) obviously.  
Don't combine it with a glass-backed capacitive touchscreen. Problem solved... That has nothing to do with OLED by itself.

I think you read too much into the hype. You can't do real multitouch with a traditional resistive touchscreen that involves two electrodes and four sense points (one for each side). Oddly, when Engadget was gushing over Stantum for having multitouch they didn't even show it in their video..
I'm aware traditional resistive can't do multi-touch, but I have seen many demos of resistive screens doing multi-touch from multiple companies. It exists. I don't know the exact mechanics behind them, but in some of the dual-touch demos I've watched both points were pixel accurate and pressure sensitive. None of the 10 point systems I saw demonstrated pressure sensitivity and were typically only shown using fingers so they were at least finger accurate. And then there's been no talk about such things for a year; seems no one is interested in the technology. Maybe it was too expensive or hard to implement.

OMG Techonology can be so rediculous sometimes. This is like the rediculous number of MegaPixels that cameras are no capturing... way more than the average consumer needs. Seriously who needs 21MP unless you are printing the images on the side of a building >_>

Well if 1080P screens are the easiest to source then that's fine but as mentioned 720P should be perfectly fine for the formfactor.

I'm aware traditional resistive can't do multi-touch, but I have seen many demos of resistive screens doing multi-touch from multiple companies. It exists. I don't know the exact mechanics behind them, but in some of the dual-touch demos I've watched both points were pixel accurate and pressure sensitive. None of the 10 point systems I saw demonstrated pressure sensitivity and were typically only shown using fingers so they were at least finger accurate. And then there's been no talk about such things for a year; seems no one is interested in the technology. Maybe it was too expensive or hard to implement.
You read the rest of my post right? You can do multitouch with multiple resistive elements, but it's still limited and it's not too hard to see why it isn't attractive and might not even be feasible in smaller form factors.

The S pen work great on my Note 3 but is whole different technology, form the regular stylus. I think that the technology is developed by IBM and for sure it will be expensive to be implemented into the next Pandora.  ( I hope to be wrong here) :)
Are you sure?

Samsung invested heavily in Wacom shares and from all the research I've done It seemed pretty clear to me that the digitizers in the Note series are all developed by Wacom. - Gives them something of an edge in the digitizer world as Wacom are the recognized leaders in that area.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Wacom sold their basic tech to other companies as well. Once upon a time Wacom were the only players in the game, but a few cheaper competitors have surfaced in the recent years.
Yeah you are right, I was so wrong there, actually the digitizer technology in the IBM`s X series tablets is all Wacom.

It will be really nice to see such screen in the next Pandora.

What about capacitive IPS screen for the next Pandora?, they hold pretty well on direct sunlight and have excellent viewing angles, almost all of the Mediatek 6589 powered phones (Chinese brands) are equipped with IPS screen so they must be cheap enough ?

It seems to be twice the price than a 720p screen from what I got as quotations.
What sort of order of costs are we talking here? $10 vs $20 is an entirely different consideration to $100 vs $200 IMHO.

Sounds like a really hard choice to me, as long term availability of supply will of course be a major consideration as well as cost and performance, quite how a small manufacturer would ensure long term availability of supply is of course another question entirely.

It seems to be twice the price than a 720p screen from what I got as quotations.
What sort of order of costs are we talking here? $10 vs $20 is an entirely different consideration to $100 vs $200 IMHO.
Sounds like a really hard choice to me, as long term availability of supply will of course be a major consideration as well as cost and performance, quite how a small manufacturer would ensure long term availability of supply is of course another question entirely.
I've got a quotation for a 5" 720p LCD (sadly, it never went to production) for 38USD, and a quotation I have for a 5" 1280p LCD is 84USD.

What sort of order of costs are we talking here? $10 vs $20 is an entirely different consideration to $100 vs $200 IMHO. Sounds like a really hard choice to me, as long term availability of supply will of course be a major consideration as well as cost and performance, quite how a small manufacturer would ensure long term availability of supply is of course another question entirely.
I've got a quotation for a 5" 720p LCD (sadly, it never went to production) for 38USD, and a quotation I have for a 5" 1280p LCD is 84USD.
ED what are your thoughts in a digitizer?

Back