720p? 1080p? 1440p?

Edit ^

^

I concur!  ^_^

... but let me point out the original Note digitizer wasn't that great, but Note 2 and Note 8.0 are fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah 720 р is more than enough. But Please use capacitive screen instead of resestive :)
If we could get a Samsung S - Pen or ither Wacom equivalent, then J would agree. But otherwise we have sto stick with resistive since so many people use the stylus for navigating a desktop OS
The S pen work great on my Note 3 but is whole different technology, form the regular stylus. I think that the technology is developed by IBM and for sure it will be expensive to be implemented into the next Pandora.  ( I hope to be wrong here) :)

I don't care much about touch - I want physical buttons for a reason: they're nearly always better than touch.

As for the resolution: anything at least 800x480 is OK for me. The important criteria are response time, contrast, power consumption, availability, and price. Resolution will be OK anyway.

Higher res does mean more power consumption all else being equal. Even with a hardware scaler doing upscaling (which of course means the extra resolution is pointless), there is still more bandwidth needed on the LCD cable, more pixels to flip, and more backlight needed for the same brightness.

Anything above 720p is complete overkill for a handheld display. Full HD is insane on a 5" display -- full HD is nice for a 50" television, but it's more than what my beamer supports (1024x768), higher res than my 21" computer monitor or my 14" laptop screen, so complete overkill on 5". That 1440p screen is beyond insane.

I don't really see a reason for multitouch while we already have proper input methods through a full keyboard etc. Besides, capacitive touchscreens are horrible to use if you've got rather dry fingertips... they just stick to the glass, too much friction. It annoys the hell out of me.

And with the current clamshell design such usage would probably put a lot of stress on the hinge since you would need to hold it by the screen to use both thumbs.

I don't really see a reason for multitouch while we already have proper input methods through a full keyboard etc.
If the P2 is to run android then this is a major consideration, as quite a lot of Android apps use multi touch for pinch zoom etc. however, there may well be a software solution for this as mentioned here.

As for anyone knocking the idea of a 1080 screen for P2 then all I'd say is don't knock it until you have actually seen / used a device of similar likely size to P2 with that resolution. I doubt the impact on battery life will be hugely significant (compared to 720 screen) and 5" displays with 1080 resolution can look absolutely superb.

From a personal perspective though, I'd be more interested in seeing a good looking display with accurate colours / wide gamut / good visibility angles / fast response than a display with ultra high resolution that was less capable in those areas.

See question 3 in the poll attached to this thread for an overview of what people think would be the best resolution for a screen for P2.

Ok, so I get that we know it would be expensive, but can we look at the exact cost difference between a digitizer + capacitive screen vs a resistive? Id like the actually dollar / pandora difference to be (as close to final number as possible) before we make a final decision. There is nothing wrong with exploring the idea.

Anything above 720p is complete overkill for a handheld display. Full HD is insane on a 5" display -- full HD is nice for a 50" television, but it's more than what my beamer supports (1024x768), higher res than my 21" computer monitor or my 14" laptop screen, so complete overkill on 5". That 1440p screen is beyond insane.
Amen to that. Finally some reason in this thread.

Everybody seems to assume P2 will have a 5" screen. Is that already confirmed by ED?

I prefer a larger screen - e.g. 5.5", 6" or even larger. 

I'd be more interested in seeing a good looking display with accurate colours / wide gamut / good visibility angles / fast response than a display with ultra high resolution that was less capable in those areas.
I agree and I would also like to see a screen that performs well in direct sunlight. 

Everybody seems to assume P2 will have a 5" screen. Is that already confirmed by ED?

I prefer a larger screen - e.g. 5.5", 6" or even larger.

I'd be more interested in seeing a good looking display with accurate colours / wide gamut / good visibility angles / fast response than a display with ultra high resolution that was less capable in those areas.
I agree and I would also like to see a screen that performs well in direct sunlight.
Direct Sunglight? lol. we're several years from that.

Direct Sunglight? lol. we're several years from that.
OLED has no problem with that. Each pixel emits its own light after all, there's kinda nothing in the way that could reflect sunlight in a way that would be so disturbing. However, OLED screens still have other disadvantages...

OLED has no problem with that. Each pixel emits its own light after all, there's kinda nothing in the way that could reflect sunlight in a way that would be so disturbing
I beg your pardon ? Even a recent OLED screen from the Galaxy S3 or 4 has problems in direct sunlight: You can't see things well at all even at full screen power under a powerful soon at high noon. The only thing that works very well with directly sunlight is e-ink screens (but you most avoid the direct reflection of the sun to your eyes) obviously.  

The S pen work great on my Note 3 but is whole different technology, form the regular stylus. I think that the technology is developed by IBM and for sure it will be expensive to be implemented into the next Pandora.  ( I hope to be wrong here) :)
Are you sure?

Samsung invested heavily in Wacom shares and from all the research I've done It seemed pretty clear to me that the digitizers in the Note series are all developed by Wacom. - Gives them something of an edge in the digitizer world as Wacom are the recognized leaders in that area.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Wacom sold their basic tech to other companies as well. Once upon a time Wacom were the only players in the game, but a few cheaper competitors have surfaced in the recent years.

OLED has no problem with that. Each pixel emits its own light after all, there's kinda nothing in the way that could reflect sunlight in a way that would be so disturbing
I beg your pardon ? Even a recent OLED screen from the Galaxy S3 or 4 has problems in direct sunlight: You can't see things well at all even at full screen power under a powerful soon at high noon. The only thing that works very well with directly sunlight is e-ink screens (but you most avoid the direct reflection of the sun to your eyes) obviously.
precisely! My S4 is useless in direct sunlight. I have to use my head to block the sunlight just to see the screen. The problem is not the screen its self but the power useage. we have the ability to make OLED screens that are usable in direct sunlight, but thats because they output more light than is being reflected off of it by then sun. I.E. if the sun is 100 lumens at your time and place, you need the OLED to output 101 lumens in order for it to be visible (yes I know this is an oversimplification) the problem with this is it takes so much energy that it would zap the average phone battery in a few minutes making it useless

The S pen work great on my Note 3 but is whole different technology, form the regular stylus. I think that the technology is developed by IBM and for sure it will be expensive to be implemented into the next Pandora. ( I hope to be wrong here) :)
Are you sure?

Samsung invested heavily in Wacom shares and from all the research I've done It seemed pretty clear to me that the digitizers in the Note series are all developed by Wacom. - Gives them something of an edge in the digitizer world as Wacom are the recognized leaders in that area.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Wacom sold their basic tech to other companies as well. Once upon a time Wacom were the only players in the game, but a few cheaper competitors have surfaced in the recent years.
Ya everywhere says it's a Wacom tech. Wonder if there is an open source Wacom-like digitizer?

1080p, whilst overkill for the handheld, would give you nice and easy HDMI support :)

As for capacitive/resistive. I'd like to say resistive, but it doesn't really bother me. I use the keyboard for most of it, and I've not really done anything that's used the "pressure" aspect of the resistive

Back