Response time of Pandora successor screen

FullHD though...
That's really not such a bad thing. All of the modern SoC's should drive 1080p and be able to scale lower resolution content just fine.

I hope they turn out -perfect- in your tests. If so, it's one more thing off the checklist.

I quite like the idea of a 960 * 540 screen (FHD with pixel doubling)

I would love to get a screen like the one in the BlackBerry Z30: 5" diagonal, 1280x720 pixels, AMOLED, 3 subpixels per pixel (RGB, no RG+BG PenTile).

No ghosting at all, and deep black pixels that don't consume power. Imagine the battery life that could be possible if you're fine with a dark color scheme (e.g. white text on a dark background)!

Sounds good - but can we get any?
Assuming these meet the other requirements that ED will have, isn't the question really: "Can we be 100% sure that we can still order these in small quantities (<=500) 18 months from now?"

^ can we get some, and continue to get some in the long-term, where "some" means fewer than 10,000 and long-term" means a couple of years' time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming these meet the other requirements that ED will have, isn't the question really: "Can we be 100% sure that we can still order these in small quantities (<=500) 18 months from now?"
That should be similar to RIM's purchase order, right? ;)

That should be similar to RIM's purchase order, right? ;)
Quantity yes, but I'm not so sure they're concerned about the timeframe.

Yeah, that would be my favourite display as well, but I haven't yet found out who the manufacturer is :/

Can't decipher model info from the touchscreen assembly image - but it's something starting with AMS. This company carries a couple of displays with an AMS designation, might be a start: http://www.videoline.hk/

[edit] Seems like that's an ID for a Samsung display...

I would love to get a screen like the one in the BlackBerry Z30: 5" diagonal, 1280x720 pixels, AMOLED, 3 subpixels per pixel (RGB, no RG+BG PenTile).

No ghosting at all, and deep black pixels that don't consume power. Imagine the battery life that could be possible if you're fine with a dark color scheme (e.g. white text on a dark background)!
How far is the OLED technology those days? Still issues with aging etc.? I have not heared much about OLED's since they were hyped some years ago.

How far is the OLED technology those days? Still issues with aging etc.? I have not heared much about OLED's since they were hyped some years ago.
It looks like it improved a lot in recent years. The main problem is that it's essentially a technology owned by Samsung, and there is way more demand for it than there is production capacity.

Back