Wiz Screen Vs Pandora Screen.

'lulzfish' said:
'gp2.eXe' said:
That makes it three of us now. Maybe we should start a poll to see how many of us hear TVs ;) .
Phone noise... you must be very sensitive.
I can hear CRTs and I can also hear the noise my mouse's LED makes. :huh: I wonder why it would make a noise?

I can hear TV CRT's, not monitors, thank god, I'd be fucking insane by now, if I could!

Last edited by a moderator:
'lulzfish' said:
'gp2.eXe' said:
That makes it three of us now. Maybe we should start a poll to see how many of us hear TVs ;) .
I can hear CRTs and I can also hear the noise my mouse's LED makes. :huh: I wonder why it would make a noise?
So do I. I also hear most mobile phones buzzing when they're idle. And a few other things.
For some reason, it doesn't annoy me most of the time.

Sometimes I can sense CRTs from another room when they're on. I always score perfect on hearing tests. One problem I have is that I can't block away noise so in environments with a lot of other sounds I can't hear people talking etc. More then once I've woken to the alarm clock of my neighbor and I also find ticking clocks to be very annoying when I try to sleep.

'Awakening' said:
I also find ticking clocks to be very annoying when I try to sleep.
Damn you, now you reminded me about those. I'll never go to sleep!

'Nightwheel' said:
'Kramy' said:
But I can also hear that incredibly annoying ringing sound that TVs make, and I can pinpoint the locations of some phones by the buzzing they make. I'm quite sensitive to this crap - if you aren't, you probably won't have a problem with it.

Oh, so I not the only one that hears that too. It doesn't bother me much anymore. But I can still very much hear it. I can also like you pinpoint from where and which tv it's coming from. But as for phones, I hear nothing from them. Except when I use it and hear people talk. Or when the phone rings.

I can hear the TV ringing from across the house. It's really bad. Sometimes someone leaves it on, and I have to get up after going to bed(with my door shut) to turn it off.

My Uncle says he used to have that, but it went away in his 40's. He can't hear those frequencies anymore. Cellphones are particularly bad, but I can also pinpoint the locations of some 2.4ghz cordless phones.

'gp2.eXe' said:

High sensitivity runs in my family. I can't do it for all phones, but I can for a bunch. :D I'm not sure why I'm grinning about that.

'Awakening' said:
I also find ticking clocks to be very annoying when I try to sleep.

It took me a long time to find a clock that didn't buzz or hum or make other annoying noises.

I finally found one. It's a tiny, portable radioshack clock that runs off an AAA battery. I think I got it... 5 years ago? It's been going on the same battery since then. :lol: I'm really surprised I haven't had to change it yet. It must use virtually no power.

'.Gogeta§§J4BR.' said:
'Kramy' said:
Cellphones are particularly bad, but I can also pinpoint the locations of some 2.4ghz cordless phones.
I thought I was pretty sensitive, but this is hardcore! lol
more than that, and you see dead people :lol:

Yeah, i'm impressed too! You guys took the poll thing seriously LOL. :lol:

I also have tinnitus but I learned to live with it and just ignore it. B)

'.Gogeta§§J4BR.' said:
'Kramy' said:
Cellphones are particularly bad, but I can also pinpoint the locations of some 2.4ghz cordless phones.
I thought I was pretty sensitive, but this is hardcore! lol
more than that, and you see dead people :lol:

I seem to have absolutely no connection to the afterlife. People say they feel spirits around them, and all I feel is... annoyance, at that damn ringing sound from the TV. :p

It's not all 2.4ghz phones. That suggests to me that rather than me being able to hear 2.4ghz frequencies, it's more likely there's a problem with the phones, and they're emitting some other frequency as well.

But I have noticed that I get apprehensive shortly before bad stuff happens. Not soon enough to prevent the bad stuff, but definitely before. For example, a couple seconds before a car in front of my car hydroplaned, I got very nervous and panicy - then the car in front swivelled and shot off the side of the road.

Yesterday I was sitting at my computer and it happened. A couple seconds later, a car left in Drive slammed through my garage door downstairs. :( (Note to self: slant driveway upwards rather than downwards; that way the car ends up in the middle of the road, rather than in my house)

'Kramy' said:
I'm calling bull. The 2.4Ghz, despite being 5 orders of magnitude higher than the human audible range is not even a sound! Sound is a longitudinal compression wave in a physical medium.

The 2.4Ghz the cordless phones use to communicate is an electromagnetic wave, or stream of photons depending on which model you feel like using, which is certainly not picked up by the ear. I think 2.4Ghz possibly lies in the microwave range? 2.4 Ghz is also the range area around which Wi-Fi operates too I think.

Electronic devices sometimes emit a hum as the electrons which make up the electrical current waste some of their energy as heat and some as sound. Transformers are especially leaky in this way.

'Peter R' said:
'Kramy' said:
I'm calling bull. The 2.4Ghz, despite being 5 orders of magnitude higher than the human audible range is not even a sound! Sound is a longitudinal compression wave in a physical medium.

The 2.4Ghz the cordless phones use to communicate is an electromagnetic wave, or stream of photons depending on which model you feel like using, which is certainly not picked up by the ear. I think 2.4Ghz possibly lies in the microwave range? 2.4 Ghz is also the range area around which Wi-Fi operates too I think.

Electronic devices sometimes emit a hum as the electrons which make up the electrical current waste some of their energy as heat and some as sound. Transformers are especially leaky in this way.

I'm not sure where you get your facts from, but just because it's not a sound doesn't mean that one can't hear it. Hearing only encompasses the bit from the ear drum to the brain. Anything which affects the ear drum or any portion of that trip or the brain itself can be heard in this respect.

I've had serious problems for years with many high frequency devices causing interference with that pathway. I think it's usually the flyback transformer which causes the bulk of it. And that doesn't emit sounds, though it sounds that way to me.

By definition anything you perceive through the use of that pathway is heard. Whether it was via sound or not, you can place your head on a vibrating object and hear it just fine, sound or no sound, in some cases.

'hedwards' said:
By definition anything you perceive through the use of that pathway is heard. Whether it was via sound or not, you can place your head on a vibrating object and hear it just fine, sound or no sound, in some cases.
Okay, one quick deviation from the topic then i'll shut up finally. Not to nit pick (well it is really) but vibration is also a compression wave moving through a particulate matter. So it is sound.... maybe you didn't understand what I meant but I meant that, put simple, sound is a virbration.

So (to get this on topic) there are a lot of us sensitive enough as to feel annoyed by the screens of these devices. Yeah, I think that's pretty much what we were talking about(?) :p

'Kramy' said:
I myself notice ghosting the most when flipping out of a fullscreen back to the desktop - some of the colours change at different speeds, and for a couple miliseconds the colours aren't right - when going back to the Ubuntu desktop(orange) from watching a vid(lots of black), I see a lot of green. (ghosting)
Are you absolutely sure it's the screen that's lagging there? That sounds just as likely to be plain old persistence of vision. Look at a shape on a dark background for a while and flip to a light background (or vice versa) and you'll get a brief after-image in negative. Human eyes have significant lag (and burn-in), too :)

Stare for long enough and it'd be obvious (the image would follow your eyes around the room), but if it's brief enough it might be hard to tell if it's you or the screen.

(I'm not saying this is necessarily the case for you, just mentioning the other possibility.)

Back