Wiz Screen Vs Pandora Screen.

If it has some sort of unwanted ghosting I m sure that we could also use something like Tekken does on the PSP for anti-aliasing which is working extremly well there imo.
But we had this discussion before, it was said that it is faster than the PSP.
As WarmFluffyUK said: OLED shouldn't have any visible ghosting at all on the Wiz

Last edited by a moderator:
'JayFoxRox' said:
If it has some sort of unwanted ghosting I m sure that we could also use something like Tekken does on the PSP for anti-aliasing which is working extremly well there imo.
As WarmFluffyUK said: OLED shouldn't have any visible ghosting at all on the Wiz
Don't forget the latest PSP's have hardly any screen ghosting. For those of you like me with an original PSP, the refresh is horrible!

'Kramy' said:
But I can also hear that incredibly annoying ringing sound that TVs make, and I can pinpoint the locations of some phones by the buzzing they make. I'm quite sensitive to this crap - if you aren't, you probably won't have a problem with it.

Oh, so I not the only one that hears that too. It doesn't bother me much anymore. But I can still very much hear it. I can also like you pinpoint from where and which tv it's coming from. But as for phones, I hear nothing from them. Except when I use it and hear people talk. Or when the phone rings.

'Kekerot' said:
really 32ms? my tv is 4ms. I hope it wont blur too bad :X
As I said it's from black to white to black. So from complete black to full white takes 16 ms. Most new screens today uses a gray to gray value and there are many ways to measure this. Basically they don't go from black to white.

I got a 16 ms TFT myself for my PC, don't know how they've measured that. This could be comparable to the Pandora's screen, or worse. It's an old monitor. The only time I'm bothered about this is when I'm playing 3D games where the camera moves around quickly, then I notice a slight blur. This would be even harder to notice on a small screen.

I think it was MWeston that said that the screen had no noticeable ghosting.

WarmFluffyUK said:
'JayFoxRox' said:
Don't forget the latest PSP's have hardly any screen ghosting. For those of you like me with an original PSP, the refresh is horrible!

yea i notice that on mine when playing disgaea.

The Pandora-LCD is pretty good. Just google up a review on Archos 605 WiFi and read the screen-comments and you get something like;
The 800 x 480 pixel 16.7 million color screen looks fantastic. Colors are true and refresh rate is smooth. Viewing angle is not an issue since you can view it at more or less any angle. It is nice and bright for pretty much any indoor setting, but it will wash out in bright sunlight. That is expected with most PMPs. The screen really is great and there is nothing bad to say about it. However, if you wanted to get picky It could use some antiglare coating.

CODE
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/10/archos-605-wifi-review.php

Of course an OLED screen is better. OLED is better at exactly everything, except price and lasting value (the blue colors wash out after a couple of years). It has fantastic refresh rate, no ghosting problems, nice brightness (visible outdoors), no glaring, extreme contrast (one million to 1), no distortions, and so on...
But, the Wiz-screen is only 320x240, which is way too low for a device like the Pandora. Therefore, the team went with this particular LCD. And it's really great for a LCD. Don't worry guys, we should be very happy!

Yes, it is an amazing screen, but the reviewers are probably watching 24fps live action video, where you wouldn't expect to see any ghosting.

a nice topic has appeared: flash compatibility
does anyone know a little big more about this?
it's going to be sad having a hell of a great system for surfing the internet (proper browser = firefox! big touchscreen! keyboard!) and NO flash support =`(

There's going to be a SWFdec port or something, don't worry about Flash.
They might also try to borrow the Flash binaries some other ARM Linux systems have.

Or one of us could hold the CEO of Adobe hostage and demand source code or his life.
That might work.

Flash 10 for ARM 11 and Cortex has been announced, and should be ready this year. There's a link to the announcement in this thread.

'sdedalus' said:
Flash 10 for ARM 11 and Cortex has been announced, and should be ready this year. There's a link to the announcement in this thread.
Not to cast FUD, but they've said the same thing about the FreeBSD native plugin and I think the 64bit version was way long in coming as well. Admittedly, that was mostly Macromedia's fault, and Adobe might be fighting that, but still I'd believe it when I see it.

hedwards said:
'sdedalus' said:
Not to cast FUD, but they've said the same thing about the FreeBSD native plugin and I think the 64bit version was way long in coming as well. Admittedly, that was mostly Macromedia's fault, and Adobe might be fighting that, but still I'd believe it when I see it.

flash version 10 has 64bit support.

There's a huge difference between a freebie for a tiny group of hobbyists and support for the dominant mobile computing architecture.

If Adobe pushes it much beyond the second half of this year, somebody else is going to step in and steal the market from them.

Would it be possible to replace the Pandora's screen with a raw OLED if it were the same size and resolution?

'Geise' said:
Would it be possible to replace the Pandora's screen with a raw OLED if it were the same size and resolution?
You'd probably need to reconfigure the power setup too, and possibly the signal wiring. I wouldn't even bother unless you knew quite a bit about electronics.

'lulzfish' said:
'Geise' said:
You'd probably need to reconfigure the power setup too, and possibly the signal wiring. I wouldn't even bother unless you knew quite a bit about electronics.

It's been asked before, and people in the know said that it would be EXTREMELY difficult to mod in an OLED screen, as there are many differences between an OLED and a LCD, and there would be more hardware (and more software) to throw in aside from just the screen.

Honestly though, don't worry about the screen - it's going to be great.

'lulzfish' said:
Or one of us could hold the CEO of Adobe hostage and demand source code or his life.
That might work.
We'll call that Plan B.

'Nightwheel' said:
'Kramy' said:
But I can also hear that incredibly annoying ringing sound that TVs make, and I can pinpoint the locations of some phones by the buzzing they make. I'm quite sensitive to this crap - if you aren't, you probably won't have a problem with it.

Oh, so I not the only one that hears that too. It doesn't bother me much anymore. But I can still very much hear it. I can also like you pinpoint from where and which tv it's coming from. But as for phones, I hear nothing from them. Except when I use it and hear people talk. Or when the phone rings.

That makes it three of us now. Maybe we should start a poll to see how many of us hear TVs ;) .
Phone noise... you must be very sensitive.

'truekaiser' said:
flash version 10 has 64bit support.
I know, I used the past tense for a reason. And it only took like 5 years to do it. 5 years is an eternity for technology, I'd be surprised if they actually care to get this done any faster.
'gp2.eXe' said:
That makes it three of us now. Maybe we should start a poll to see how many of us hear TVs ;) .
I do as well, most of the time it's tinnitus brought on by the way that the cathode rays are managed. And at least for me it's bad enough that for years I couldn't go into the TV department because I couldn't think straight.

'gp2.eXe' said:
I can hear CRTs and I can also hear the noise my mouse's LED makes. :huh: I wonder why it would make a noise?

Back