A Brief History Of Gp2x?

Nope, just a mid-thirties techie that still games and has kids that do too.

Which means that I'm not as broke as seems to be the typical poster here. Though if I keep spending $ on toys and gadgets, I might be. ;)

-J

Senor Quack said:
joshin said:
I'm looking for a portable game machine for myself and my 2 kids, something that we can use to casually surf the web (yes, even at 800x480 though I'd really love 1024x600) via wifi, something that comes with Flash 9 support so that my kids can access the online school they are enrolled in, and of course a small hackable Linux box for me.

The price point of $320 doesn't scare me in the slightest. Sign me up for 3. Maybe 4 if the wife decides she likes it better than her Axim. ;)

Are you a family of cyborgs from the future or something??

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal said:
euro48k said:
@woogal

is f200 featuring the same board as older brother/sister ?
i wonder ..
Yes, the mmsp2.

No minor revisions or anything that would prohibit someone from replacing his F100 screen with a touchscreen? I'm assuming that's why he asked, and if it's a possible mod I'd be interested in it myself, as would a few others around here, I'm sure. $170 is a bit much to buy a new console that doesn't really do a whole lot that the other one won't, but if the same capabilities could be had for cheaper, well, that's what this whole homebrew thing is about, right?

craigix said:
What you will get for around $320 is the rolls royce of handhelds. It will be like the Amiga was when it showed up back in the 80's and should go on for several years.

$320 might be a lot... but what price was the PSP + a few games when it was launched?
Sounds pretty cheap to me actually if it really is $320 in USD. The USD is rather worthless right now so it is a bargain :p Does that mean it will only be 160 GBP? Either way that seems real cheap for all of the power we get.

Dave I got the slightest feeling that for euro its not going to be 320 usd...

somebody really gotta clarify that price...

is it just the console???

or the console and accessories???

and if console and accessories then which ones?????

garzyboi, I don't think there will be any accessories. And least not official ones. The most will probably be a carrying case with the systems name on it, through cafepress or something

PoisonedV said:
garzyboi, I don't think there will be any accessories. And least not official ones. The most will probably be a carrying case with the systems name on it, through cafepress or something
Geez. You really think there's no funding for the new machine. First you think Craig will assemble the new machine by hand, now you think he'll use CafePress to make system accessories. What's next? The stylus will only be a toothpick because Craig can't afford a real one?

On an unrelated note:

Does anyone know if it would be easy to port software from the GP2X to the 'Craiginator' and vise versa?

I'm assuming the answer is yes, since both systems use ARM architecture, but I'm no programmer (at least, not a very knowledgeable one).

That could definitely keep the GP2X alive longer after the 'Craiginator' hits the market.

TyBO! said:
PoisonedV said:
Geez. You really think there's no funding for the new machine. First you think Craig will assemble the new machine by hand, now you think he'll use CafePress to make system accessories. What's next? The stylus will only be a toothpick because Craig can't afford a real one?

I didn't say cafepress specifically, but I once went on a hardware modding forum where someone made a guide on how to make something. (I don't remember what it was, I think it canablised various electronic games?) and then later he found a bag on cafepress or zazzle or something that fit it perfectly so he stuck a name on it and sold those as the case. I guess I just underestimate the scope of everything. I tend to do that :rolleyes:

PoisonedV said:
The accessories known so far (mentioned in the massive sticky), will all be delivered with the device: a charger and a TV-out adapter cable. Probably a USB-On-The-Go to "USB type A female" as well to allow for hosting "regular" USB devices (harddisks, memory sticks et al), if the device uses USB-On-The-Go (the OMAP3430 does), and a USB-On-The-Go to "USB type A male" to allow the device to act as USB device with "regular" USB hosts (computers). Although of course, the USB adapter cables could easily be purchased from any computer store as it should be standard fare.

Cafepress and toothpicks would really ruin the Rolls Royce image though, wouldn't they? :p

Anyway, this topic here is about our dear friend GP2X, the Craiginator has its own monster-topic.

Apart from the stick I like my current gp2x. It was a present for me from my missus and she wouldnt be pleased if I got a new one. I've only had it for 16 months and there is still life in it. 16 months is nothing. The likes of Amstrad CPC's and Amigas are still being used 20 years later.

It would be a shame to see some of the talent around here disappear as I dont plan on buying a new handheld for a very long time or until mine just wears out.

Well, I have been bringing up the system in discussion at gamefaqs quite a bit lately in what I hope is an unbiased manner and it seems like quite a few people are interested in buying one from the threads I have been in.

I have been pretty happy with my little system aside from the joy-stick, and the prospect of it even marginally improving is reason enough for me to get excited.

I think it balances out because a couple of anti-PSP trolls would constantly use the system in the past to bait people and start trouble so it somewhat soured my attitude for awhile on the little system.

Glad I got over it though. I should have my pre-order cash in my pay-pal by the end of this week and have pretty much decided to go with the f-200 now and get a slim a little latter on…

darkman said:
When I think about the new Craig3X portable, I feel that maybe a lot of the programmers will have to work together to produce original games that would satisfy part of this community that has a craving for 3D portable gaming. Other than that all I see is emulators for its future. The 3D games that we are used to on our commercial portables and consoles were produced by teams of programmers. An individual programmer would have to work very hard (and have some deep love) to produce anything of the same magnitude. (spare time would factor heavily into this)

You are so right - once the psx and maybe some other 3d emulators are made, what 3d homebrew is likely? Not a lot I would reckon.
2d homebrew is a little thin on the ground, 3d homebrew would probably take too much effort; best you could hope for is (a multitude of) ports I guess (not a bad thing admittedly).
But it's progression and some very impressive 2d stuff will be more likely :)
But for me the gp2x still has a lot of life left in it...

I just got my flatmate to play on my 2x, and I'm fairly sure she's in love. Admittedly because it had been prefaced by her saying "you know what I feel like right now? Yoshi's Island." Which of course, GPsp plays. But nonetheless.

GP2x has life as long as you can hand it to someone and the response be "that's so cool, I wish I had something that did that".

On a side note, she was unimpressed by the GP32's boobs. Which is sad, their being pretty much it's defining feature...

Tobriand said:
I just got my flatmate to play on my 2x, and I'm fairly sure she's in love. Admittedly because it had been prefaced by her saying "you know what I feel like right now? Yoshi's Island." Which of course, GPsp plays. But nonetheless.

GP2x has life as long as you can hand it to someone and the response be "that's so cool, I wish I had something that did that".

On a side note, she was unimpressed by the GP32's boobs. Which is sad, their being pretty much it's defining feature...
If I want to play Yoshi's Island I'd rather try with a SNES emulator than a GBA one.

On a side note, I am pleased that Craig aims for excellence, sounds like a cunning strategy. If you make something that's obviously and objectively better than any other more or less similar product put together, you win, even if you're a bit more expensive, and $320 isn't that expensive. Where can I buy stocks?

A_SN said:
If I want to play Yoshi's Island I'd rather try with a SNES emulator than a GBA one.
Lamentably, the SNES Yoshi's island is one of those games with that oh-so-amazing superFX chip in it, iirc. In any event, if it emulates, it emulates far too slow to be played. And if you *can* play it, then it's only until it starts using all the special FX that the extra chip provides, at which point it would, presumably, crash.

In contrast, the GBA one uses its own hardware for the scaling/rotation/zoomey effect, and therefore works fine on the emu we have.

Yoshi's Island is one of those games that I was expecting never to be able to play on the 2x. At least, not without a unit that overclocked to around 320Mhz.

AT one point Yoshi's Island was working on one of the SNES emulators... actually so was Star Fox.

Yoshi's island was barely playable and Star Fox was very very very slow...
It's great that at least the GBA version runs very well.

Back