A decidedly retro USB 2.0 hub

Prometheus

I just saw this and wanted to share it. It's a USB hub that looks like a cassette tape. I suspect that Brits with memories of loading computer games from tapes will find this appealing, in particular. Apparently the wheels in the middle rotate, as well.

Anyway, that's all. I just thought it was cool. :p

hmm, could use something like this to make quad 32GB flash drive tapes, to put in a modded drive and watch high def movies from...on a modded bbc micro :)

Awesome! Do they have one that looks like a stack of punch cards?

this is what we used to play our music on for people that dont know, also some gaming was also done with these, the only console easier to pirate than the dreamcast

Haha, I remember hearing about these being used for data too...

I remember having to wait half an hour to play… then dad bought his first 5" 1/4 floppy drive \o/
laugh.gif

On the ZX Spectrum it was small cassette tapes (microdrive IIRC) those were pure awesomeness…

And awfully fragile!

Damn, I want this hub
tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, I miss cassettes! Trying to find the beginning of a song was like an adventure. Rewind-stop-play, not far enough, rewind-stop-play, too far, fast foward, stop, play.......

Yeah, those were the days..

..removing feet of loose tape from the deck that just ate your brand new tape..

..fast forwarding just to have the tape pull out of the wheel when it hit the end..

..getting all McGuyver with scotch tape to splice together a broken cassette..

might not sound like it, but I miss 'em too. That hub is pretty cool.

Apparently when the spectrum was first around they broadcast some "downloadable games" over the radio, you just had to tune in and record the sound onto a cassette. This all horrendously backfired when everybody quickly realised that it was that simple to make copies of games.

Apparently when the spectrum was first around they broadcast some "downloadable games" over the radio, you just had to tune in and record the sound onto a cassette. This all horrendously backfired when everybody quickly realised that it was that simple to make copies of games.

Really? Hot damn!

Half-relevant to discussion-- I still buy and use tapes for audio. Theoretically, I could use my sound card to hook up to a cassette player, then use some data-over-voice protocol to store data on the tapes, yes?

It may sound esoteric; that's because it is. I just want to do it, to do it. Perhaps I'll find a use for it after I've done it though... i mean, what could be a better place for an important crypto key? (outside of getting a QR tattoo in your groin-- wait, no, that's a terrible idea).

Does anyone know of any program which does this? I'm guessing it'd work like this: program reads stdin, converts to audio, waits for O.K. from user, dumps audio to sound card and asks if a repeat is necessary. After this, program then waits for input from the sound card, converts it, and sends it to stdout.

This type of data protocol or similar could also be used, when combined with a program emulating a Bluetooth headset, to get snail's pace internet (we're talking telnet-type stuff, watching the characters appear like a typewriter here) for free on cell phones with unlimited minutes. Just set up a Google Voice account at home and forward the calls to a modified Ekiga-type program set to auto-answer calls and send/recieve sound via the program which is running as a daemon providing internet service.... ....

....whew!

okay, I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Tons of error-checking would need to be present if sending through a cell phone... IP over Voice over IP would be cool though. For tapes, though, this should work, yes? Is there such a program?

@AquaAnalogue - I can't help you too much here, as it's not something I know a lot about, but I could have sworn that I saw such a thing for writing C64 backups to new tapes (intended for replacing aging media from the 1980s), and stuff like that. That was quite some years ago, though - about a decade by now, I think - so I can't remember where I saw it. I'm pretty sure that what you're looking for exists, though.

EDIT: No, wait, I know what it was! It was a method for writing data to MP3 format, for use with MP3 players hooked up to modified C64 Datasette drives. The point still stands, though. :p I'm pretty sure that there's something out there that should do what you want.

More info please?

Reminds me of the time I wanted to transfer files between two computers (in different rooms in the house), but was sick of swapping disks around. I could have moved the two computers closer together and used a null modem cable but I was too lazy, so just connected the modems to the phone line, told the one to take the phone off the hook, waited a couple of minutes for the dialtone to stop, and then "dialed" nothing to connect the two together.

Back