A full language translator/dictionary on pandora would be possible?

dibad0011

Still Fresh
Wouldn't be great if the Pandora could have or be used as full dictionary/translator? I have had an electronic chinese-english dictionary/translator for years and I love it. I think is Arm based. I can write the chinese characters on the screen and it recognizes them very well (see youtube link at the end of post) I think the Pandora could add a lot of value by adding this kind of feature specially since most of these electronic dictionary/translators cost between $150 to $400 USD. So the pandora could be a gaming console, a linux mini pc and a chinese/japanese-english (or whatever language) translator.

Here is the video link of my device:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HfDu4_qkrjQ?feature=oembed

Problem is +

- all this kind of software is proprietary (no open source) so someone would have to create them from scratch

- on top of that, the files that they use are ALL from actual dictionary-making companies, so the data itself is not available either.

So, of course, would be "nice" to have that, but let's not dream.

Doesn't GoldenDict support some translation if you get the right libraries?

Once I tried but failed.

Doesn't GoldenDict support some translation if you get the right libraries?

Once I tried but failed.

You cna get a dictionary through goldendict - at least it works for me (very well, by the way). For japanese, gwaei works very nicely too. But these software can only use open dictionaries for files, not licensed (i.e. paying) ones.

For Japanese, there is gwaei. It has drawn character input, too.

Don't know about chinese unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Japanese, there is gwaei. It has drawn character input, too.

Don't know about chinese unfortunately.

While Gwaei is a nice piece of software, one cannot compare it with the actual paying dictionaries available on these proprietary devices. Their dictionaries are much more complete with tons of examples, etymology and so on, there's a HUGE gap between gwaei and those. But we'll never see such quality software/data available on Pandora because they have a very different business model.

Back