Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

@Cerbera: Your picture is weird, the left side is moved, while the right side is still and in focus...

And only tall people can take the bus, unless there is a extra high sidewalk. In Netherlands, we have a bus that leans towards the sidewalk to make them lower/easier to get on, and an extra step comes out the underside.
See the pictures at the bottom of this website:
https://ddk.pr.co/65237-toegankelijkheid-belangrijk-thema-voor-regio-twente-en-syntus

Usually I put my heavy bag on the first step, then hop on, else it feels steep like those stairs to the Chinese Shaolin temple. Of course, autochthonous Dutch don't have any problem.

Last edited:
@Cerbera: Your picture is weird, the left side is moved, while the right side is still and in focus...
I think the camera probably just got a fixed focus, and the grass to the left is too close and thus slightly blurred. The vertical grass blades tend to make you think it's blurring by motion, but I don't personally think that's necessarily the case - if you look up to the more diagonal hedgy bits which are still out of focus, they don't seem to indicate motion to me.

@levi: in that case, look at the right side on the pavement, as high as the pole, there is a wet twig. This twig, and the details of the pavement is less blurry than the plants. I think the picture was shot vertically, and the camera actually processes the image in quadrants (4 x 4, judging by the part where the blurring starts), where the order for vertical shooting would be:

HTML:
9   5  1
10  6  2
11  7  3
12  8  4

and the blurring starts with quadrant 8 (and up; take note that quadrant 9 is also blurry). The lens may be able to capture everything, but the processor is slow and not mirror reflex.

@Cerbera: Remove your exif info for internet pics, you leak info.

Hmm, actually yes. Quadrant 9 the top left corner shows clear movement, now I scroll up (my monitor is small so doesn't show the entire picture in sufficient quality especially with all of the web browser and web site furniture in one view).

Mirror reflex has little to do with it, probably more important is that it had no physical shutter assembly whatsoever. I also don't see any blurring that's not all of the way up if you know what I mean, the focussed bits are all in vertical alignment and the blurred bits are also. I suspect the TTL sensor starts sending data out along a fairly slow bus to the next chip in the line from the right hand of the picture in vertical stripes, and by the time it's got past the bus stop our photographer started to put the phone away, so there's signs of movement there. I'm slightly surprised that modern phones still have non-CMOS sensors, but then looking at the exif data, this is a low-end phone from three years ago from a chinese manufacturer, so who knows.

By the way, luckily this phone doesn't seem to embed GPS info in his exif data, so he's only really leaking the phone model and exposure details since we know roughly when he took the picture already.

52930394_2123911237689303_7080070235302133760_n.jpg

The bigger absurdity is that the company was storing plain text passwords and not salted hashes in this day and age.

Isn't two-pass ROT13 an industry standard for the modern web?

I frequently find myself forced to deal with web forms that handle security-critical information, but depend on 3rd-party javascript, cross-site scripting, unexpected redirects to dodgy-looking domains, adobe flash widgets, invalid SSL certs (or none at all) and almost a complete test suite for my set of privacy/security/adblocking browser plugins.

The bigger absurdity is that the company was storing plain text passwords and not salted hashes in this day and age.
I remember a Linux application that only took the first 2 characters and salted those to create the password. 2 characters, which was easily brute-forced.

Or how about the security vulnerability in Linux that meant by pressing backspace 28 times on the grub login you could gain access to grub rescue shell... no password required.

I'm pretty sure that's a dog wearing a sheep's pelt. The ears aren't those of a sheep, and I think those are paws rather than hoofs. And perhaps it was bouncing and twisting like that to get the smelly itchy goddamn just not him pelt off itself. Had me fooled the first few times though!

I'm pretty sure that's a dog wearing a sheep's pelt. The ears aren't those of a sheep, and I think those are paws rather than hoofs. And perhaps it was bouncing and twisting like that to get the smelly itchy goddamn just not him pelt off itself. Had me fooled the first few times though!

I'm inclined to agree with you! That must be the most literal "Wolf in sheep's clothing" I've ever come across.

I don't know if you live in the city but there are definitely sheep with ears like that. It's also running like a sheep (the way it's slightly sideways and kicking up its back legs). Probably it's a smallholding and the sheep a little more confident/tame.

Back