Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

The Linux 4.7 kernel branch has reached end of life

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-kernel-4-7-10-is-the-last-in-the-series-users-need-to-move-to-linux-4-8-509555.shtml

does uname -a on the pandora.... hmm...
does uname -a on the Debian unstable.... 3.16 hmm...

My Arch install is currently rocking kernel 4.8, but there's nothing wrong with running 3.2 like the Pandora or 3.16 like Debian, just you won't get the latest features, only the latest bugfixes. Assuming Debian is running an unpatched kernel, they'll be using the one maintained by kernel.org, guaranteed up to 2020. The one the Pandora's running should be okay up to May the year after next. You don't have the be exposed to all the latest features, if you just want a patched kernel against the latest exploits. https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Silly+elephant+the+stories+this+elephant+could+tell_8fdff3_4792239.jpg

This has got to be the worst idea i have seen. Especially in a country with the highest per capita gun ownership in the world.

This has got to be the worst idea i have seen. Especially in a country with the highest per capita gun ownership in the world.
Terrible idea indeed. Such a system would sooner or later be overloaded with gangsters taking advantage of the situation themselves and with a town mob getting random targets by people that have found an alternative to swatting.
I think such a system with such a name would be illegal in most European countries anyway, aren't there laws against vigilantism in the USA too?

Not sure really belongs in this corner, but could be slightly absurd in the sheer amount of cabling running along the bottom of our seas, keeping us all connected...

http://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/

Lots of data, I know you love data ;)
Aside from the end points, can click on the lines to see the length values

P1010888.jpg

Pandora has been malware ready for a long while now...

When your internet-rapper friend wants you to check out his SoundCloud.

Terrible idea indeed. Such a system would sooner or later be overloaded with gangsters taking advantage of the situation themselves and with a town mob getting random targets by people that have found an alternative to swatting.

Certainly plausible. Something like this has plenty of capacity to go wrong, badly.

Actually, this wouldn't work in New Orleans (or any place with a no-snitch culture, for that matter). Just being around the scene of a crime (big or small) while it's happening increases your chances of getting shot exponentially, but getting caught by the perpetrator might guarantee that.

I think such a system with such a name would be illegal in most European countries anyway, aren't there laws against vigilantism in the USA too?

Legally, this app/network isn't vigilantism. If the people part of this network are using this app in the manner advertised, then they're not actually getting involved in the crime (in fact, that's one of the app's rules). In the case of the depicted assault, that's not vigilantism. It could very easily escalate and become vigilantism, however. Either way, this app/network is tight-roping a very thin line.

Addressing your question, yeah vigilantism is illegal in USA, even though the loosened self-defense laws in open-carry state makes vigilantism harder to prove in court. Even so, vigilantism in many cases not involving death is either hard to prove or slap-on-the-wrist worthy. If someone with a gun sticks up a grocery store in, say, Germany, and two brave souls crack his kneecaps, would that be considered vigilantism?

If someone with a gun sticks up a grocery store in, say, Germany, and two brave souls crack his kneecaps, would that be considered vigilantism?
It depends on the judge but usually yes. If you prevent a crime by causing permanent damage you're guaranteed to be screwed, often only by using well placed physical force as well.
You're supposed to call the police and wait 50min until they arrive. You're allowed to bind the suspect to a tree or something similar if you manage to do that while staying alive.
I've heard and read about cases of self-defense (and defending others) here where the judge's decision would make you lose all hope for humanity.

Back