Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

funny-name-brand-imitation-20_605.png

With the options available, I think Robby may prefer the comma, but, ya know, whatevs.

Thanks, Klumpi! "Fickendes A" heisst also grossartig? Muss ich mal bei meinem humorlosen Arbeitskollegen ausprobiern.

Why do those US-Americans talk like Smurfs and write as if their <Shift>-keys are broken? And, why can't they pick some smurfing name for their country already, so I don't need to call 'em US-Americans? Badlands maybe?

We live in the United States of America, so Americans is the correct term. If that isn't specific enough you can go to the individual state for the people you are talking about (such as New Yorkers). Should make perfect sense to Europeans.

Either we don't mean the same thing or we disagree. A Bolivian is as American to me as you are.
I don't mean to insult. I find it insulting, when one nation in the Americas claim to be THE Americans. Like when you say Europeans, you obviously mean us Germans, right? I mean, you couldn't mean those Italians. Who'd take those serious?
And since it's so commonly accepted, I myself am that used to it, that I have to make a conscious effort to say or write US-Americans everytime. And sometimes I need to comment on that. Sry, if I hurt your patriotic feelings. ;)

When I say Europeans I mean it collectively. If I mean Germans I say that, or Bolivians for those from Bolivia. If I mean a New Yorker, or Canadian I will also say so. American is a general term, like European, however we are a collection of smaller independent states in the US, so it is easier to say Americans when talking about those across many/all of those states since Statesian is potentially confusing (but I am fine with it).

We also have terms for people from regional collections of states, like Yankee for those from the northeast, or Southerner for those from the southeast. I guess that means those people (myself included) could be called southern Americans (not to be confused with South Americans, or those in North America that are not Yankees being called North Americans).

I will admit that it is slightly inconvenient not to be able to say Americans when referring collectively to those in North and South America, but I am reminded of how rarely I call Germans Eurasians.

I am pretty sure we can blame the Brits for this confusion.

Oh, and I wasn't being patriotic, as I don't care. I was just remembering what thread this was, and taking advantage of the opportunity to give you a hard time.

I mean, I could comment on how you use American English...

I promise, if you say Americans no one will think you are talking about Bolivians, so no need to add US. ;)

You've never seen me trying to use American English. I strictly stick to Djoga'Roan English. It's far superior. ;P

i used to hear some people (from South America) complain that they were [technically] Americans, too. not sure if they want to be lumped in the same boat as US anymore...

Any Asgardians in here? *(new country with stellar territories)
[doublepost=1531085565,1531084025][/doublepost]
Like when you say Europeans, you obviously mean us Germans, right?
Ask any German whose star it is on the top of the blue EU flag. Joke them to say it's Greece and that the bottom start actually carries all the stars above...

i used to hear some people (from South America) complain that they were [technically] Americans, too. not sure if they want to be lumped in the same boat as US anymore...
Well.. they call themselves Latin Americans... and call the USAmericans "North Americans", which technically lumps Canadians into the mix, but hey... the friend of the enemy is not a friend.
Forgetting the Native North Americans on purpose *(Sioux(Lakota/Dakota/Nakota), Navajo, Comanche, Inuit, etc...)
Example of "norteamericanos" (Puerto Rico)
Example 2 of use of "norteamericanos" (Kingdom of Hawaii)

Now, the Spanish people (from Spain) calls latin americans + spanish = iberoamericanos. In a desperate attempt to revive former glory. But that ship sailed a long time ago. Just like the common wealth is about to, in not so many years from now.

No, what I rage about is that Australian originals are called ABoriginals... Why not call the white Australians ABaustralian?

Now why would Canada, USA and Australian flags be displayed together in that video? Because when you remove the top layer... you get to the same thing inside... just listen to the lyrics. He who has ears, hear.
Also: The rightful king of England lives in Australia.

disclaimer: I love the English people. Even customs treat you right. All the North Americans I've met here in Europe (from backpackers to colleagues) are higly educated and have very interesting points of view.

Last edited:
Ask any German whose star it is on the top of the blue EU flag.
Being German, I'd say it's the Brits, and it's not the top, but the front and they're getting ready to jump off.
I just hope the Scottish don't let them take them with them.

Back