Action button labels: poll 2 bis

Which proposal do you like best?

• Total voters

Thanks for the feedback guys, I adjusted the layout accordingly.

(Can't do suit backgrounds even though I like the idea since there are only 4 suits and 6 buttons. I hope the chess pieces make up for it though).

(Dynamic font size is something for a later version. Maybe the buttons even could be LED screens so the font size of the labels adjust according to the forum mood at any given point)

NWmVVNv.png

Ziz: Two voters (Thorgan and Wally) misvoted 1 five times in that, so you can subtract 6 #1 spots from it. That means 6*5 = 30 points bringing it down to 140, which is not at all far from 3 (128) and 4 (119). Also someone seems to be missing a vote for 3 somewhere (40 voters instead of 41).

EDIT: foxblock, that is awesome :D . Can't wait to tell someone how to do a combo: "It's red-chi-bishop-B-capital omega-small omega-page up-four-Y!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys I have an idea let's just label the buttons like this and everybody will be happy.

X9chAxl.png

Right? Right...?
I know you're not serious, but something like this would actually be nice in my opinion.

You can drop the lower-case Greek since that is redundant if there is already capital Greek and Latin -- it was meant to be a compromise: Greek letters with backwards compatibility because they look like the Pandora layout. There is no reason to keep them around if there are already Latin letters and Greek letters. Or do you really want an XXX button? ;)

I'm also not sure if C and Z are needed as labels since they are not needed for backwards compatibility. If something Latin is really needed also on those two new keys, I would prefer it to be something that makes more sense than C and Z.

I'm not sure if the numbers need to be included since it's only a rather small minority that wants them. But if they are added, I would prefix the numbers with a letter, preferably G (for "game button", analogous to the F-keys). It would probably be best to ask the people who wanted numbers and/or alphanumerical combinations if they think it is necessary to add the numbers if there are already Latin letters and Greek letters.

As to the font sizes: in my opinion the Greek letters are the most aesthetically pleasing, so it makes sense to give them the biggest font. The other labels should be big enough to be readable and small enough to not disturb the aesthetics. Using some color could also help.

Keeping Pandora layout and adding the two buttons unlabeled (or with insert + delete) would be the best compromise regarding the current votings and logical problems imho.

Alright made changes according to @_wb_'s comments:

Also changed the tone of dark blue since it was hard to see on black.

3WtnRZ5.png

Minority against does not mean majority for. Majority may be neutral
If majority were neutral they wouldn't have not voted for the things minority wanted. Up until now it's been "vote for everything you like".

Alright made changes according to @_wb_'s comments:

Also changed the tone of dark blue since it was hard to see on black.

3WtnRZ5.png
I would make the colors match the PlayStation colors (more or less) and have only the big symbol colored (the small labels can be in a neutral color like white or gray). I would omit the square brackets around Home etc, they are not needed.

This is actually starting to look good if you ask me! Still not sure about the alphanumerical ones (not sure if they are needed).

_wb_, what I don't get:

We don't want to get some license problems, so we don't use an already used button mapping - okay.

But if we want to "fake" some button mapping with greek letters, why not the SNES-system?

(χ)
(γ) (α)
(β)
resp. (with 2 extra buttons, that look like latin letters, too)
Code:
 (τ)(χ)
  (γ) (α)
 (ε)(β)
Why do you want to fake the Playstation button system? Sony is one of the most evil corporation out there and the Pyra is no PSP-Clone. Sony is in fact the opposite of open source and everything the pyra and open pandora stands for.Furthermore alpha, beta and gamma are better known than omega and co...

Thanks for the feedback guys, I adjusted the layout accordingly. (Can't do suit backgrounds even though I like the idea since there are only 4 suits and 6 buttons. I hope the chess pieces make up for it though). (Dynamic font size is something for a later version. Maybe the buttons even could be LED screens so the font size of the labels adjust according to the forum mood at any given point) NWmVVNv.png
LIKE!!! XDD

Yes, these threads are for polls, and you guys are diluting discussion about the polls by bringing up old arguments while adding nothing new to them whatsoever. We get it, you don't like Latin letters, others don't like Greek letters, but you're not bringing up new points, you're just beating the old ones to death. It feels like you're doing nothing more than grandstanding your opinion, as if you'll somehow win everyone over that way, and it's not especially pleasant
This is a discussion, and when someone tell me something I simply respond. That's why I had to repeat it. Keep in mind that some people read this forum rarely, that's why I make sure that there are at least a few keys to understand why there is this controversy, that's the only reason why I repeat my opinion when I haven't to respond. You are now aware that it does not for you but for someone who needed it, as I said nobody forces you to read.

No, nobody forces me to read these threads (and once they turn out like this I tend to stop bothering), and no one forces you to read my criticism of your bickering with ever condescending tone, but that doesn't stop you from whining about that either, so here we are.
I don't know why you say that I have a condescending tone, but keep in mind before saying such a thing that I don't care about what you think about me. Also I have to say that you are wrong, since there isn't any condescension in me it's  in your mind, so what you saw is only a reflection of yourself.

The suggest with LED make me come to an idea ^^

Why not capacitve sensored buttons and light the button style you want to have with a pattern of all favourites. ;-)

Why do you want to fake the Playstation button system? Sony is one of the most evil corporation out there and the Pyra is no PSP-Clone. Sony is in fact the opposite of open source and everything the pyra and open pandora stands for.

Furthermore alpha, beta and gamma are better known than omega and co...
Is Sony particularly more evil than Nintendo? They are both as closed as it gets.

I'm not really a fan of any game console in particular. I just think the Playstation layout looks nice, aesthetically. Also, Pi and Delta are the first letters of Pyra and Dragonbox.

Is there a possibility to use the greek letters like "ouya" does? so it would be pyra then?! I don't know what about the 2 others ;-)

Back