Action button labels: poll 2 bis

Which proposal do you like best?

• Total voters

Why do you want to fake the Playstation button system? Sony is one of the most evil corporation out there and the Pyra is no PSP-Clone. Sony is in fact the opposite of open source and everything the pyra and open pandora stands for.

Furthermore alpha, beta and gamma are better known than omega and co...
Is Sony particularly more evil than Nintendo? They are both as closed as it gets.
Yes, so, lets avoid both.
I'm not really a fan of any game console in particular. I just think the Playstation layout looks nice, aesthetically. Also, Pi and Delta are the first letters of Pyra and Dragonbox.
No, P and D are the first letters. How about this?
Code:
(D) (Y)
  (A) (
(P) (X)

Is there a possibility to use the greek letters like "ouya" does? so it would be pyra then?! I don't know what about the 2 others ;-)
Π Υ Ρ Α ?

or maybe π υ ρ α ?

I don't think this is a good idea. Too much confusion with Latin letters.

Why do you want to fake the Playstation button system? Sony is one of the most evil corporation out there and the Pyra is no PSP-Clone. Sony is in fact the opposite of open source and everything the pyra and open pandora stands for.

Furthermore alpha, beta and gamma are better known than omega and co...
Is Sony particularly more evil than Nintendo? They are both as closed as it gets.
Yes, so, lets avoid both.
No, there is nothing wrong with taking inspiration from good ideas even if they come from evil companies.

I don't think this is a good idea. Too much confusion with Latin letters.
Are you sure?
Pi is the only one that looks distinctly Greek. Upsilon looks like Y or U, Rho looks like P, Alpha looks like A.

W53ZHbL.png

Alright made changes according to @_wb_'s comments:

Also changed the tone of dark blue since it was hard to see on black.

3WtnRZ5.png
What I don't like about this is your not using the most popular (latin) as the big symbols.

If anything the Greek symbols should go round the outside and the large symbols would be the latin letters that seems fair to me.

3) Greek that looks like Playstation layout (Π Ω Δ χ)

Φ  Δ     

Π      Ω

ψ  χ

λ       Δ

Π          Ω

γ       χ

ψ       Δ

Π          Ω

γ        χ

I don't really like gamma (γ) since it looks too much like Y, which could be confusing.  What about using lambda instead?

ψ       Δ

Π          Ω

λ       χ

Something like this:

pyra_buttons.png

(http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~jon.sneyers/tmp/pyra_buttons.xcf for high-res layered image)

With or without the G1-G6 labels -- I think it looks a bit too "busy" with those extra labels, so I would personally prefer to omit them.

The extra buttons don't need a Latin letter: if you can't type or pronounce ψ and λ you can just call them Ins and Del.

The colors were picked as follows: Δ Ω χ are green-red-blue like on the Playstation, Π is cyan which is the inverse of red and what you get when you add blue and green light together, ψ is yellow since that button is in a kind of line with red and green (which combine to yellow), λ is magenta since it is in a kind of line with red and blue.

How big are these buttons supposed to be? the multi-label suggestion seems impractical given the physical size of the current buttons.

Plus it looks like the most complicated set of buttons I have ever seen with multiple labels? I mean they would be more like keyboard keys at this point might as well make them square.

How big are these buttons supposed to be? the multi-label suggestion seems impractical given the physical size of the current buttons.
We want to have keyboard keys that are smaller than they are on the Pandora and they need to have labels like "Shift / Caps Lock" and "5 % F5" that will have to be readable. If that can be done, it should not be a problem for the action buttons since those will be bigger (I assume same size as on the Pandora).

I know, you really like your idea, but the majority is against greek letters just like ED.

So what are we still discussing?

Why are we still discussing?

I know, you really like your idea, but the majority is against greek letters just like ED.

So what are we still discussing?

Why are we still discussing?
Where did ED said that he is against?

Nobody forces you to discuss, there are ton of different topics here.

Best gamepad for 2D games. Simple labelling.
So that's the labelling which make a gamepad good? That gamepad hasn't a keyboard, I'm tired of blind followers.

And that's not a simple labelling, it use foreign characters (sega is japanese AFAIK), just like we want to do. The fact japanese companies use foreign letters (even more far from them than greek's from us) is an argument in favor of Greeks letters.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you taking about? Also did u mean AFAIK? Sega probably picked Latin characters because most of their market are countries that share these letters and they are easy to remember.

Sega, like Nintendo, picked foreign letters and that's not a problem. That's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best gamepad for 2D games. Simple labelling.

MhdTtzs.jpg
well that's actually one that hasn't been brought up, dual labels where part of the label is in the button, and the other label is on the casing rather than on the buttons

a simple word "Buttons" above the action buttons, and the word "keys" above the keyboard keys would remove confusion, or a 2nd identifier 

Back