Action button labels

I'm pretty sure every gamer and tech nerd is able to differentiate between button A and the A key.
Hence my poll.It's currently showing a significant but not yet valid 21% of people with problems. That's a lot more than I thought there'd be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather prefer a software solution for the 'which button/key to press' confusion which occurs when using different menus with different button assignments.
That's a different problem.
At least it's another evidence for that you don't have to remember symbols or letters but instead the location of the gaming buttons. It's annoying when half of the menus are using the right button for 'confirm' and the lower button for 'back/close' while the other half of the menus invert this. This is more of a problem for me as a user than thinking about which letter or symbol is meant to be pressed.

Once the Pyra is released, the discussion would no longer be possible, and there are some valid concerns that have been raised. It doesn't really matter whether the discussions are long, as long as they can continue uninterruptedly. At this point it's unclear whether they will have resulted in something useful in the end, but that's not a deciding factor for stopping them. If you don't enjoy these discussions, that's okay, you can just ignore them, or state that, say, you feel disturbed because they are crowding the "View New Content" page, and then it's the participants' turn to adjust accordingly.
Of course you can discuss this topic as long as you want. But in my opinion this whole discussion leads to nothing and in the end we will still have the Pandora layout and everything will be fine. Note that this is just my opinion - am I not allowed to express it?

I'm pretty sure every gamer and tech nerd is able to differentiate between button A and the A key.
Hence my poll.It's currently showing a significant but not yet valid 21% of people with problems. That's a lot more than I thought there'd be.
Right now, that's 8 votes of 39 total votes.

And only 5 of them (13% currently) mention they have regular problems, others state they were confused at first but have no problems now after they are used to it.

We should wait until there are more votes cast, I think. 39 is a really low number.

Maybe everyone got tired of repeating "Let's change the Pandoras layout for whatever reason"-polls, after the result of the first three polls was to keep it (in every single poll).

Wouldn't make me wonder, it's really tiring how some try to force a change over and over and over and over again.

Last edited:
Right now, that's 8 votes of 39 total votes.

And only 5 of them (13% currently) mention they have regular problems, others state they were confused at first but have no problems now after they are used to it.
I do agree that this poll needs time to be seen before we can really tell anything from it.

We should wait until there are more votes cast, I think. 39 is a really low number.

Maybe everyone got tired of repeating "Let's change the Pandoras layout for whatever reason"-polls, after the result of the first three polls was to keep it (in every single poll).

Wouldn't make me wonder, it's really tiring how some try to force a change over and over and over and over again.
Honestly, I believe _wb_'s reason for creating the polls was not an attempt to force a change, but to bring discussion about the issue to a consensus. That way, you would have some information to consider, and we could all discuss other things.

-God Ginrai

Maybe we should just use the current Pandora guihint images as Pyra button labels. Including the dots.

gh01-0.8.2.0-alpha_game-y.png

gh01-0.8.2.0-alpha_game-a.png

gh01-0.8.2.0-alpha_game-b.png

gh01-0.8.2.0-alpha_game-x.png

and something with diagonal dots for the two extra buttons.

Or instead of dots, we could use /\   \/   |<    >| or something like that.

Maybe we should just use the current Pandora guihint images as Pyra button labels. Including the dots.

gh01-0.8.2.0-alpha_game-y.png

gh01-0.8.2.0-alpha_game-a.png

gh01-0.8.2.0-alpha_game-b.png

gh01-0.8.2.0-alpha_game-x.png

and something with diagonal dots for the two extra buttons.

Or instead of dots, we could use /\   \/   |<    >| or something like that.
The arrows are actually a good idea, yes.

Arrow are simple and look good but if someone says "up" there will be a confusion with D-pad, there will also be confusion in the guide.

Arrow are simple and look good but if someone says "up" there will be a confusion with D-pad, there will also be confusion in the guide.
"North", then?
Or just say "Y button" or even "Y game button" and hope the listener/reader won't get confused. ;)

Use guihints when possible, otherwise fallback to latin letters (ie. graceful degradation).

Instead of adding arrows and cluttering up the buttons, you could place a subtle directional pattern between the four primary ones.

Pic for general idea.  

Compass directions as secondary button names works now that all six buttons are placed according to a primary four, the new ones can just be northwest and southwest.  These don't even have to be on the buttons for them to be understood, and game or program documentation using either name shouldn't cause any confusion.  If a game uses both the keyboard and the game buttons together it may be a good idea for that game to refer to the game buttons by their directions, while if a Pandora game is ported over it'll be just fine leaving the normal directions the same because those letters will still be on the buttons.

Should help some with their confusion of which directions are North, South, East, and West.

Prefer that they look like arrow heads. So it's now Ao or A> vs A key.

Back