Action button labels

☃

☃     ☃

☃    ☃

☃

We need to go deeper.
(stupid boards doesn't support all the unicode, take a snowman controls instead)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reconfigurable action buttons? using a small paper inlet ?

I also envisioned dynamic mappable buttons using a tiny OLED (1,5-1,8'' should suffice) beneath and backlighting them using transparent buttons via acrylic support. That goes beyond just color and could display an "original" mapping of the system currently emulated.

Reconfigurable action buttons? using a small paper inlet ?

I also envisioned dynamic mappable buttons using a tiny OLED (1,5-1,8'' should suffice) beneath and backlighting them using transparent buttons via acrylic support. That goes beyond just color and could display an "original" mapping of the system currently emulated.
Yeah but those two things will be the case no matter what the buttons are called. Unless we want to put little displays in the buttons and have the labels change with the program, and please no one seriously suggest that.
-God Ginrai

Did ED confirm how many face buttons he's going to have? because in the FOSDEM stream, he mentioned looking at 6. I'm sure in practicality it'll end up being 4, but until we know, we don't really know how many buttons we need to cater for
ED has been mute on the subject and the longer the discussion we have about it, however riddled with brilliance at times, the less I'm convinced we need to change the standard Pandora layout to greek, or any other, lettering/symbols. I'm in total agreement that whatever scheme we choose will neglect some other established one, and changing them to uncommon and unfamiliar glyphs, only adds another layer of confusion to the mix.

I'll further add that my experience with PS1 emulation on my PC using a Logitech F310 controller hasn't been vexing whatsover given the buttons aren't labeled like they are on the aged Playstation controller. I end up ignoring the labels and map in accordance to where they're usually located on the original gamepad, or a preference of it, and I don't feel disenchanted by doing so.

Therefore, my opinion on the matter is a vote to stay with the familiar uppercase Pandora ABXY and, if we are graced with two more buttons, to go with straightforward C and Z.  ;)   

...or why not go runic? I mean, what's wrong with the good old ᚠ ᚢ ᚦ ᚨ ᚱ ᚴ ? Me and comradekingu could make a lobby group for that. Or me, Slaeshjag and B-zar could demand that we solve our keyboard problems by marking the buttons å ä ö Å Ä Ö? Nice and symmetrical. Both of these have the advantages that they are easily pronounced, and not easily confused with other keys on the keyboard.

Or, we could just drop this and let ED decide :D

We could also just number them from 1 to 6, so no console is preferred and one could just map the keys they want to them.

Could be quite handy for F1-F6 (with composite F7-F12) in non-game-use.

1 to 6 doesn't avoid any more conflict than using letters.  It works on USB controllers because they don't have keyboards.  Also that's really boring, and designed to be blank to any use, while the Pyra will have native games too.  Sorry for saying known stuff, just reflecting thoughts.

WTF! English letters are not OK. Roman letters are not OK. Greek letters are not OK. Runic symbols are not OK. Now Numbers are not OK. I think we need to have some celestial animals design these damn action buttons :D

Yeah like Vtech game controls, each one an animal :)

51gT59GctRL.jpg

I'd like colours, or if that's not ideal for colour blindness perhaps with letters too [A][C] [X][Y][Z]

Tinkered some more:

v2e3KAf.png

A and B are normal sized and the rest are classic N64 "c" button proportion. Thank you Nintendo.

We could also just number them from 1 to 6, so no console is preferred and one could just map the keys they want to them.

Could be quite handy for F1-F6 (with composite F7-F12) in non-game-use.
Mapping the action buttons to F1-F6 would be a huge waste and bad for backwards compatibility. The Home/End/PgUp/PgDn mapping of the Pandora is extremely nice, it feels very intuitive and I use those keys a lot (they're in the same category as the arrow keys). The F-keys are not nearly as important.

Whatever the labeling is, or how many extra buttons are added, we have to keep Home/End/PgUp/PgDn buttons, in the same dpad cross-shaped position as on the Pandora. Their labels are not that important (there's no logic in Y=PgUp, X=PgDn etc either).

...or why not go runic? I mean, what's wrong with the good old ᚠ ᚢ ᚦ ᚨ ᚱ ᚴ ? Me and comradekingu could make a lobby group for that. Or me, Slaeshjag and B-zar could demand that we solve our keyboard problems by marking the buttons å ä ö Å Ä Ö? Nice and symmetrical. Both of these have the advantages that they are easily pronounced, and not easily confused with other keys on the keyboard.

Or, we could just drop this and let ED decide :D
 I hate to burst your bubble, but most Americans do not know how to pronounce even half of those accented characters or even how to type them on a keyboard.

I first read the letters on the screen as "atc" and couldn't help but think of aTc. :p

I'd like colours, or if that's not ideal for colour blindness perhaps with letters too [A][C] [X][Y][Z]
+1.

-God Ginrai

Surely, the simplest option, is to ditch all glyphs, and just colour the buttons?

Sorted

I happen to like the greek letters with psi ... I mean, I still think you can just use the symbols, and if you're talking to someone on the phone, you certainly could refer them to google for looking up the symbols. I mean, the Pyra will get online won't it? Won't most people buying one have multiple ways to go online to look anything up? I think the greek letters are cool. And easier for me to remember due to some quirk of my memory than x is actually y etc... It's easier for me to map 2 different symbols than swap the same letters around. Though that's only an issue because I'm not so familiar with the older controllers. PlayStation I remember cause I still play PS3 and so think square is left button, X is bottom button etc...

Back