Advice And Help Needed On Pandora

ra10

Still Fresh
Hi all newbie here ,
I have been looking for a small pc like the pandora .
I like the pandora as it has a keyboard , unlike some of the others have touch screen .
A few questions i have .
Does the operating system display word and excel documents , also must be able to display WORD .RTF files. ?
Does the Pandora support Printing i.e can i print documents from it . ?
How does it compare to others out there as a small PC on performance I wont realy be using it as a gaming device .
Will is play films and how many frames per sec etc..

thanks in advance

If you installed openoffice you'd be able to edit and view Microsoft Office documents. RTF won't be a problem

If it's a USB or network printer and there are Linux drivers for it (which there almost certainly will be) then yes you can print.

It plays movies without any trouble as well.

BUY ONE! :p

Beepo said:
If you installed openoffice you'd be able to edit and view Microsoft Office documents. RTF won't be a problem

If it's a USB or network printer and there are Linux drivers for it (which there almost certainly will be) then yes you can print.

It plays movies without any trouble as well.

BUY ONE! :p

As its a linux operating system is openoffice included
also what is a TV OUT as an accessory

Last edited by a moderator:
Beepo said:
If you installed openoffice
BTW it'd be very interesting to see OpenOffice running on pandora. I think it's possible, but may be a bit slow.

Vitel said:
Beepo said:
If you installed openoffice
BTW it'd be very interesting to see OpenOffice running on pandora. I think it's possible, but may be a bit slow.

I'm wondering that as well but I'm assuming if it runs Quake3 then it'll be ok for occasional emergency document viewing =P

will it support a 3g dongle ? aswell

is there any more info like a user guide etc...

I've used 3g dongles with Linux before, it takes a little setting up but they do work, so that's a yes as well.

The user guide is being worked on iirc, if you search the forum you might find something about it. Good luck!

Certain 3G dongles (Huawei E160 & E220) have been tested on Pandora hardware and should be plug and play. That list will no doubt grow when several thousand eager testers start plugging their everything in to see what happens. :)

Gruso said:
Certain 3G dongles (Huawei E160 & E220) have been tested on Pandora hardware and should be plug and play. That list will no doubt grow when several thousand eager testers start plugging their everything in to see what happens. :)

Thanks thats a good start as mine is Huawei E220

I think we are going to see a lot of these types of users, people who are interested in the Pandora mainly for things other then games. They are probably not interested in running old SNES games, they got PCs and consoles for modern games. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pandora is the only device in its size that has such a large and high res screen combined with such a large keyboard. Add to that touchscreen, SDHC, battery capacity, USB2, BT and WIFI. It is such a capable little unit and yet so portable. If the devs can make the OS smooth and easy to use then there should be a lot of potential customers who doesn't even know the Pandora exists.

Here's also hoping that I can plug in both my printers directly into my Pandora (one at a time). I got a 5m USB printer cable at home :)

Oh, and Craig mentioned not long ago that a movie about "boring" office stuff was in the works :)

Awakening said:
I think we are going to see a lot of these types of users, people who are interested in the Pandora mainly for things other then games. They are probably not interested in running old SNES games, they got PCs and consoles for modern games. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pandora is the only device in its size that has such a large and high res screen combined with such a large keyboard. Add to that touchscreen, SDHC, battery capacity, USB2, BT and WIFI. It is such a capable little unit and yet so portable. If the devs can make the OS smooth and easy to use then there should be a lot of potential customers who doesn't even know the Pandora exists.
This is why it might be a mistake if the Pandora gets marketed as a gaming handheld console. I think it has enormous potential which would be ruined if most people out there get the impression it's just another emulation device.

Some posts of the devs already indicate that they start to promote the Pandora as a general purpose device, but I agree, we as community members have to keep pushing it in that direction :)

krosfyah said:
This is why it might be a mistake if the Pandora gets marketed as a gaming handheld console. I think it has enormous potential which would be ruined if most people out there get the impression it's just another emulation device.

That's a good point :)

There are so many names for portable devises nowadays, I wonder if MID would be appropriate?

I think that MID is a bit too generic. It _is_ a MID, but a more distinctive term would be better, imo.

mali said:
I think that MID is a bit too generic. It _is_ a MID, but a more distinctive term would be better, imo.

I agree that the term MID would give the wrong idea about what it is. Maybe we should start calling it a minibook because it's like a netbook but smaller, people would understand a word like that the first time they see it because netbook is a common word now. The fact that it has game controls doesn't come out in the name though but then the word gamebook makes less sense.

It's really hard to come up with something useful. "Portable PC", "micro laptop", "portable Linux box" came to mind, but all those terms miss the point. Something very unique like Sharp created with their "Netwalker" would be best. It should just give a hint but not push it too much in a direction. "minibook" goes in the right direction, I think.

This has been one of the hardest things to come up with. All the usual terms doesn't fully encapsulate the Pandora. I guess we really need to come up with one otherwise it will be blighted as a mish mash of a device, that doesn't know what it's meant to be. Give it a decent term and then it becomes master of it and a place to fit in :D

edit: mali beat me to it

Awakening said:
I agree that the term MID would give the wrong idea about what it is. Maybe we should start calling it a minibook because it's like a netbook but smaller

I think 'nano' is the in term. Call it a nanobook, a nanotop, or a nanonet :p

Back