Advice And Help Needed On Pandora

As far as I'm concerned, it's a pocket-sized computer. I don't care if that's not "catchy", or in step with the "the industry" and its silly naming conventions, it's accurate in my eyes. :p

Pleng said:
Awakening said:
I agree that the term MID would give the wrong idea about what it is. Maybe we should start calling it a minibook because it's like a netbook but smaller

I think 'nano' is the in term. Call it a nanobook, a nanotop, or a nanonet :p

"a DS with a keyboard" ;p

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
As far as I'm concerned, it's a pocket-sized computer. I don't care if that's not "catchy", or in step with the "the industry" and its silly naming conventions, it's accurate in my eyes. :p

But but but the built in gaming controls......
I was thinking in terms of marketing, reviews etc, it's not an expensive portable console as a lot seem to push it as, it's more than that. I wonder if they see it that way due to how it's presented

Na-Noo said:
Heheh, pardon me. I grew up with a Commodore 64, so "computer" + "games" automatically go hand-in-hand in my mind. :p

Prometheus said:
Na-Noo said:
Heheh, pardon me. I grew up with a Commodore 64, so "computer" + "games" automatically go hand-in-hand in my mind. :p

Yea me too :lol: , but is that what everyone now thinks of when you say pocket computer?

If you are not into portable gaming then there's really only one reason to buy a Pandora, a netbook is too big for you. Thus using the word minibook works to attract that crowd. I think gaming and emulation people will come to know about the Pandora in other ways, or at least they will understand it as soon as they see the gaming controls or read any reviews.

The word nano is closely related to iPod Nano, which describes a tiny and stripped down device. Nanobook to me sounds like it lacks in power and features, quite the opposite of what we want.

"The Pandora minibook" doesn't that sound nice too?

Na-Noo said:
Prometheus said:
Na-Noo said:

Yea me too :lol: , but is that what everyone now thinks of when you say pocket computer?

I started with a Plus4, got an Amiga 500 later and a PC after that. They were "Computers" for me that I used for gaming besides other things. They weren't gaming devices, because there were non-gaming apps available, too. The Pandora is in a similar situation, but right now it's still called "console", which implies a much too big emphasis on its gaming capabilities, imo. Inventing a term that moves further away from the gaming aspect would be a wise decision to place it in a different market segment where it belongs, imo.

Right now the 'console' designation stems from the build team's intent... Since they started from a GP devices background, a better portable gaming device was likely the original intent.

Objective: To build a pocketable open source OS device capable of emulating a lot of gaming platforms.

What they got: A pocketable general use computer with great controls.

From what I can tell, the non-gaming capabilities have always had a 2nd seat in the development. Not a bad idea - gaming emulation is where half or more of the early adopters seem to have come from. Still, there are a significant number of us who see the gaming controls as a nice bonus feature on a general purpose computer that can fit in a pocket.

Similar to Tapwave - they developed a device that was marketed as a game console (Tapwave Zodiac). Several of us saw it and said, Cool - the most powerful Palm OS computer ever - with nice controls added on and dual SD slots for lots of data.

It is all in how the end user is going to see it. Marketing it as both though could lead to consumer confusion - is it a kids toy for gaming or a serious device for mobile computing? Even though the two ideas are not all that different from a hardware perspective, getting the consumer's mind around it as being appropriate for both tasks... not so easy.

I'm glad the case is flat black and not purple/pink/red/blue/etc... It is obscure and business looking enough that I should be able to keep it on my desk.

Pandora HandBook
Pandora Aegis
Pandora MultiMicro
Pandora Micro[sup]2[/sup]
Pandora Xtrema
Pandora Vison
Pandora Streetnet
Pandora Ultis
Pandora Vixen
Pandora L33T3R
Pandora iMage
Pandora Chameleon

hobbyman II said:
Pandora HandBook
Pandora Aegis
Pandora MultiMicro
Pandora Micro[sup]2[/sup]
Pandora Xtrema
Pandora Vison
Pandora Streetnet
Pandora Ultis
Pandora Vixen
Pandora L33T3R
Pandora iMage
Pandora Chameleon

At lest in Sweden the word HandBook translatest to handbok which is one of the words that we use for manual/instruction book.

The other words says as much as the word Pandora. For example people would ask: "What is a Pandora Chameleon?" and we would need a short answer that isn't "a portable console".

Awakening said:
krosfyah said:
This is why it might be a mistake if the Pandora gets marketed as a gaming handheld console. I think it has enormous potential which would be ruined if most people out there get the impression it's just another emulation device.

That's a good point :)

There are so many names for portable devises nowadays, I wonder if MID would be appropriate?
I think MID would doom it to a life of low recognition and sales (that is, if there were ever any plans to market more than a few thousand to begin with...). MIDs just aren't that well-regarded. In fact to me a lot of those similar terms (UMPC, palmtop, etc.) have the same baggage.
Gaming consoles, on the other hand, that has mass-market appeal! The fact that it comes with practically a full desktop OS is just gravy to most people.

I would call it a Pocketbook. Gives the description while also giving it a new classification.

After all it's like a netbook, pocketable etc.

"Open Pandora's Pandora Pocketbook, the worlds smartest Linux PC/Gaming device designed for those who want it all on the go."

Or something like that :D

Isn't "pocketbook" analogous to "handbag" in some countries, though, or do I have my terminology mixed up? :lol: (Never did find those things practical.)

For reasons mentioned above, I cringe when I hear people suggest "-book!"
[sub]Besides, this thing is more like a notepad anyway. PC-pad! [/sub]

@Awakening

Pandora Chameleon .... changes to be what you need it to be, right before your eyes.

I did actually think about those names, they all have a reason

Pandora HandBook ............. all you need to guide you through life
Pandora Aegis ................ guides and aids you
Pandora MultiMicro ........... multiple use micro machine
Pandora Micro[sup]2[/sup]............... Micro-computer raised to the next power/level
Pandora Xtrema ............... excels at everything (fabricated word that carries a sense of the meaning)
Pandora Vison ................ visionary device that allows you to "see", where you get to "see" net/data/games/video etc
Pandora Streetnet ............ emphasises portable internet capability while trying to sound "cool", (yeah, I know, 49yr old guys are not actually into cool, but I tried)
Pandora Ultis ................ another made up name, intended to evoke feeling of "ultimate" while being unique to pandora
Pandora Vixen ................ she's a foxy little chick is our Pandora, thinking of a Pandora-tan type character
Pandora L33T3R ............... crass attempt at "trendy" (ok, I`ll give up on the "trendy" stuff)
Pandora iMage ................ inspired by a fruit , was it pear?, cherry?, apricot?....something like that
Pandora Chameleon ............ see above

meh, I'm bored

mmmPC - micro multi media PC; sounds tastier than anything Asus might come up with, ha!
mePC - micro emulator or micro entertainment PC

Poem58 said:
I would call it a Pocketbook. Gives the description while also giving it a new classification.

After all it's like a netbook, pocketable etc.

"Open Pandora's Pandora Pocketbook, the worlds smartest Linux PC/Gaming device designed for those who want it all on the go."

Or something like that :D

PocketBook is already an e-book reader. It is also used in some countries (like Sweden) to refer to paperback books. It also means purse :)

Ah, what would the world be like without Wikipedia?

Back