All Of Wikipedia On Pandora?

CronoTriggerfan

Website
pixelstopolygons.com
When pondering whether or not to sell my iPod Touch to fund a Pandora today, something crossed my mind; while the Touch makes me cringe when playing games, it does one thing extremely well. No, not multimedia, although it is great for that, and not web-browsing. Information resources. My Touch is loaded up with PDFs, eBooks, text documents, etc. that I use on a daily basis. These are, of course, all expected to be on the Pandora at some point and time. But what about that nifty Wikipedia app? The ability to access all that information without a wifi connection is extremely essential to my needs. Will the Pandora be able to do this, and if so, how long would a project of this nature take to complete?

Easy. The crudest way would be to make the entire database viewable offline through your favorite web browser.

anexanhume said:
Easy. The crudest way would be to make the entire database viewable offline through your favorite web browser.
Well duh, but I'm talking about something with perhaps a little more flair, functionality, and a UI tailored directly toward the unique hardware of the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the point of wikipedia is that it's up to date? Having an app that doesn't connect to the internet won't really be worth it...unless the app refreshes its articles, but then you would spend the whole day refreshing every single new line that goes in...

EDIT: Yeah Crono you're right, I took out the events part. I meant that the articles are always up to date with current info.

Defo said:
Isn't the point of wikipedia is that it's up to date with current events? Having an app that doesn't connect to the internet won't really be worth it...unless the app refreshes its articles, but then you would spend the whole day refreshing every single new line that goes in...
I wouldn't say that. I use Wikipedia as an informational database; after all, it is an encyclopedia. If you want news, go to Drudge or Google News.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Well duh, but I'm talking about something with perhaps a little more flair, functionality, and a UI tailored directly toward the unique hardware of the Pandora.
It's a bog standard web browser on the PC when you view it, so whats wrong with the Pandora's default web browser when you browse it using that?

atomicthumbs said:
I'm already doing it. No need to duplicate my work.

Nice one.

Will it soon be time to start a sticky for apps that people are working on (similar to Prophet's for emulators)?

atomicthumbs said:
I'm working on a port of the Wikipedia Offline Reader, as wella s a complete package containing the most recent database dump that will be released when the Pandora is released.

*Reads info*
I'm in the market for at least a 4 Gig SD card then?

ingrin said:
atomicthumbs said:
I'm working on a port of the Wikipedia Offline Reader, as wella s a complete package containing the most recent database dump that will be released when the Pandora is released.

*Reads info*
I'm in the market for at least a 4 Gig SD card then?

It seems that the "pages-articles" file is 3.7G (guy on the page mentions 2.9GB, but that was a year ago). So you won't have much room left over then, unless you want to devote one of your two cards just to wikipedia.

I stay up nights going from Wikipedia page to Wikipedia page.

I'd cry of happiness if I could have Wiki on my Pandora. WikiPan! I'd probably prefer navigation through Wikipedia via a web browser rather than an application devoted to just Wiki.

Without researching My guess Wikipedia file system.
now to research
I was right lol.

WikipediaFS

View and edit Wikipedia articles as if they were real files !

WikipediaFS is a mountable Linux virtual file system that allows to read and edit articles from Wikipedia (or any Mediawiki-based site) as if they were real files.

nice.

Back