• 25 - 31

Votes: 57 26.4%
  • 32 - 38

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • 39 or over

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Exophase said:
There are at least as many women online as men, they're just in different parts of online. Strangely you don't hear about women saying there are no men online.
all the women are on oprah.com btw
no dignified man would ever visit that site.

Last edited by a moderator:
We appear to have two active members who have set their gender to female, and two active members who have not set their gender. (Active being defined as having signed in the last month.)

Everyone's beating up on Consequence9, but he's on the right track. It just wasn't worded tactfully.

Let's put it this way. If women's and men's brains really did work the same (there are always exceptions; I'm talking about generally), this board would not be 98% male.

Esn said:
Everyone's beating up on Consequence9, but he's on the right track. It just wasn't worded tactfully.
lol, nah i was being facetious, In fact i'm surprised it wasn't more obvious (lookin @ u MrBlais ;]). I guess it just goes to show how ingrained sexism is in our society(ies).

You're right tho, our brains operate on a fundamentally different level making each gender better suited to certain tasks (for the most part).

on the original note:
...last time I used a program written by a woman my computer had a hot-flash & overheated...
...female computers always have bad drivers...
...I always stick with female laptops, I tried a male one once & it kept getting input & output mixed up...
...I was trying to compile something the other day, but when I typed in 'make' it returned 'invalid argument: make it yourself'...
...my laptop refuses to mount my hard-drive...

thanks folks, I'll be here all week!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Consequence9 said:
Esn said:
lol, nah i was being facetious, In fact i'm surprised it wasn't more obvious (lookin @ u MrBlais ;]). I guess it just goes to show how ingrained sexism is in our society(ies).

You're right tho, our brains operate on a fundamentally different level making each gender better suited to certain tasks (for the most part).

I do understand the attempt at humor, but what you misunderstand is that you are operating on an old hypothesis as well as generalizing women as a whole. I'm in a class about Gender Psychology and Women in IT... I'm kind of the wrong person to be talking to about this. C'mon Consequence9, you need to be a role-model and quit looking so ignorant.

MrBlais said:
I do understand the attempt at humor, but what you misunderstand is that you are operating on an old hypothesis as well as generalizing women as a whole. I'm in a class about Gender Psychology and Women in IT... I'm kind of the wrong person to be talking to about this. C'mon Consequence9, you need to be a role-model and quit looking so ignorant.
i'd hate to turn this into a whole feminism, sexist, etc. debate, but the topic IS "age and gender"

he's not operating on an old hypothesis, women are generally not interested in this area. as evident from our 98% to 2% ratio. this isn't about which gender is smarter, he's saying women are fundamentally different, so, that would also be generalizing men. i don't see what he's being so ignorant about.

tacking on the whole nature vs. nurture thing:
were the women brought up to not pursue interests like these?
or are they hardwired not to be interested in things like these...

Xian Long said:
MrBlais said:
he's not operating on an old hypothesis, women are generally not interested in this area. as evident from our 98% to 2% ratio. this isn't about which gender is smarter, he's saying women are fundamentally different, so, that would also be generalizing men. i don't see what he's being so ignorant about.

Actually, he is. Women don't pursue these fields because they are not allowed. My teacher can explain this better than I and there isn't enough room here to give you all the info., albeit you probably won't be interested. You think women don't want to be in IT, think again. Read "Gender and Information Technology" by Mary Kirk (which incidentally is my teacher) and you and Consequence9 will realize you are sorely mistaken. Don't judge Gender:Technology ratio with one forum very early into infancy... That's not good enough evidence.

Sorry, but yet again, you are ill advised.

Consequence9 said:
naw dog, they can't! Code is all logic based & everybody knows women's brains are inherently illogical in nature. If more women were to code all our programs would be slow as hell & eat up tons of ram trying to decide what to do.
Actually I wrote Myriad which is supplied on the Wiz's NAND. Kills your argument stone dead :p

El Jefe said:
tacking on the whole nature vs. nurture thing:
were the women brought up to not pursue interests like these?
or are they hardwired not to be interested in things like these...
Us girls are usually brought up to be mums, look at our toys: Dolls, prams etc. One Christmas I even got a little vacuum cleaner that came with a bag of polystyrene pellets for me to vacuum up! Now the thing is it's not like I didn't love my toys, I still have all the fluffy teddies (Which I collect by the way) but I have always been interested in technology and I love puzzles. When one of the boys at school bought a computer (ZX81) and I got to see it, I instantly saw the potential and I realised that writing a program was like a huge puzzle, you had a goal, tools to complete the goal in the form of syntax, and you were free to complete your goal in any way you liked, I was hooked. Of course I couldn't afford a ZX81 and my mother wouldn't buy one as she thought it was silly, so I eventually got a job on the checkout and stacking shelves during the summer holidays at Lo-Cost and saved up enough money for the brand new ZX Spectrum.

As far as women not being logical, I think we are just as logical as you men are. I work in a University and we have a lot of female coders, one is a Comp Sci tutor and is an excellent Java coder. It is true that we have more connections between the left and right side of our brains so we are better at communication, and we seem better at "multitasking", even though there is no such thing as multitasking in the brain, I guess it means we are able to juggle different tasks better. Men have better spacial awareness than we do.

Lets face it, men and women are different and we each have good and bad points.

Addition:
I think there are more women on the net than you guys realise, it's just some of us pretend to be men so not to get hassled by hormonal teen boys (If you know what I mean). And I do think it's sad/funny when you get men pretending to be women on-line as you can spot them a mile off! I once heard a story about a lesbian chat room which was literally full of men pretending to be women, I laughed my socks off when I heard that :D

WarmFluffyUK said:
Addition:
I think there are more women on the net than you guys realise, it's just some of us pretend to be men so not to get hassled by hormonal teen boys (If you know what I mean).

This is why Xbox Live can implode and disappear. I hate XBL...

This at least adds some relevance to what I was saying. Women are taught to be mums because.. why, you ask?

-Toys
-Media
-Advertisements
-etc.

Many of these companies leading influences are.... Drumroll please...

MEN

That's why women think they have to do these things because 'mostly' men tell them to do these things through these mediums.

EDIT: Can we please close this thread... It's flame-bait and I'm feeding into it...

No we shouldn't close this thread I think it's great that you guys are discussing it. You can't fight ignorance by cutting it off.

For one Women have been proven to have more spacial reasoning then men.

Let's name some game that have been mostly spearheaded by Women.

I can name a few:

Skies of Arcadia
Valkyria Chronicles
Assassin's Creed
River Raid
Phantesy Star
Every Game that came from Koei (probably easier to say first Dynasty warriors series-- she's one tough CEO from what I hear)
BIOSHOCK (the are SO MANY women involved in making this game, and it's sequel in all fronts)
God of War

There is literally thousands more--this is where you come in. I dare you, I double dog dare you....

In my (very limited) experience women are rubbish at thinking logically. They're good at washing and cooking and that other thing (though, some are better at that than others - when you can actually get 'em to do it)

On a related note - I was amazed to discover that it was in fact a women who originaly designed the very CPU the Pandora uses!!! Well, until I discovered that 'she' was once a 'he'. I think this merely confirms my previous statement.

How may great female thinkers have there actually been? Too many other things going on in there muddled minds!

PS. I am (mostly) joking.

MrBlais said:
Don't judge Gender:Technology ratio with one forum very early into infancy...
This forum is pretty old, actually. From 2001 or 2002, I think.

Anyway, it's very chic in social sciences right now to say that any differences at all between to sexes are due entirely to nurture (gender upbringing), not to nature. But every mammal on earth has inherent differences between the way the sexes act. Why should humans be different? It's all very well to say that "we're creatures of a higher order", but there are very old parts of our brains that we are still beholden to that haven't changed.

A lot of people these days dismiss certain research by saying "that's not politically correct, so it must be wrong". But science doesn't work like that.

Also, at some point, it doesn't matter what the reason is. Even if it's proven that the differences are entirely due to nurture and not at all due to biology, that still doesn't change the present situation, which is that girls and guys like different things.

Concerning the comparative lack of female scientific geniuses, this isn't that hard to explain:
A 2005 study by Ian Deary, Paul Irwing, Geoff Der, and Timothy Bates, focusing on the ASVAB scores of 1,292 pairs of opposite sex siblings, showed twice as many males as females in the top and bottom 2% of scores, demonstrating a significantly higher variance in male scores.
The average IQ is the same between the sexes, but men are more likely than women to be either geniuses and retarded. So there are indeed more male geniuses.

Why do guys lament the lack of girls in certain circles? I don't see girls complaining about a lack of guys who are into the OC.

Back