Votes: 57 26.4%
  • 32 - 38

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • 39 or over

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

WarmFluffyUK said:
Addition:
I think there are more women on the net than you guys realise, it's just some of us pretend to be men so not to get hassled by hormonal teen boys
For the record, I'm really hoping everyone who's said there are no women on the internet are just joking. I know I was. I'm aware my jokes are lame, but they're the only ones I've got.

Last edited by a moderator:
migo said:
Why do guys lament the lack of girls in certain circles?

I cannot imagine.
Somebody should Google this, and find out why it's critical to the future of Computer Science that we get more female members.

I honestly do not know, other than the obvious "horny teenager" answer: "Because it would be hot"
That's not a good reason at all.

lulzfish said:
I cannot imagine.
Somebody should Google this, and find out why it's critical to the future of Computer Science that we get more female members.

I honestly do not know, other than the obvious "horny teenager" answer: "Because it would be hot"
The best programmers are lazy. That's why they write the best code. (code that requires minimal maintenance, runs the most efficiently, etc...) Technically many more programmers are lazy, but only the best pull it off so well.
As such, they prefer their women to come to them: much more efficient that way, and if you already share a known common interest (ie, programming) then it cuts the "getting to know you" phase of dating in half! Finally, intellectual challenge: the best programmers see development as a puzzle, a mental exercise, and are attracted to a mate that can match them step for step.

lulzfish said:
I cannot imagine.

Men and women tend to act and treat each other differently. My male friends are different from my female friends and I feel better off having both kinds because there are ways I can relate to one set that I can't relate to the other. These ways might not be that important on a site like this but it can be pretty subtle.. having a good gender mix does more to make a community diverse and interesting.

That, and it's not actually unheard of for romantic relationships to start online. Shocking, I know, but a lot of relationships start because of common interests and you're going to be more likely to find that in a place for people with those interests. Sure, there are a lot of problems/challenges, but it's not like no one here ends up living near anyone else. Even if you can't end up dating anyone online it's still good to know how to interact with the opposite gender for this purpose.

About nature vs nurture and female computer scientists: at my grad department there were probably about as many females who were Indian or Chinese as there were males, and very few amongst those who weren't. What does that tell you?

Anyone who thinks that this is an issue limited to just this site is kidding themselves. Welcome to the western world.

The best programmers are lazy. That's why they write the best code. (code that requires minimal maintenance, runs the most efficiently, etc...) Technically many more programmers are lazy, but only the best pull it off so well.
As such, they prefer their women to come to them: much more efficient that way, and if you already share a known common interest (ie, programming) then it cuts the "getting to know you" phase of dating in half! Finally, intellectual challenge: the best programmers see development as a puzzle, a mental exercise, and are attracted to a mate that can match them step for step.

I don't know if you're being serious or not, but I wouldn't say programmers are typically lazy. They're more likely to be introverted and not especially forward instead. Western society expects men to take the first initiative with women, and to do that they have to have a lot of confidence and basically compete with more outgoing men.

No we shouldn't close this thread I think it's great that you guys are discussing it. You can't fight ignorance by cutting it off.

For one Women have been proven to have more spacial reasoning then men.

Let's name some game that have been mostly spearheaded by Women.

I can name a few:

Skies of Arcadia
Valkyria Chronicles
Assassin's Creed
River Raid
Phantesy Star
Every Game that came from Koei (probably easier to say first Dynasty warriors series-- she's one tough CEO from what I hear)
BIOSHOCK (the are SO MANY women involved in making this game, and it's sequel in all fronts)
God of War

There is literally thousands more--this is where you come in. I dare you, I double dog dare you....
Why is it that when someone takes offense to talk about women being worse at something they mention women being better at something? Way to fight generalizations with generalizations. Gender just sets trends, any given person can be totally outside them.

Certainly there are women working in the gaming industry. But when you compare it to the number of men... on the other hand, I do think that the divide in the professional world isn't quite as bad as it is in social circles like this one, for some reason. Maybe female programmers and gamers don't like hanging around us unless they're paid to do so.

So how many can we all list? Probably not a whole lot, because most of us don't even know who made most games, much less their gender.

Exophase said:
I don't know if you're being serious or not, but I wouldn't say programmers are typically lazy.
There's a fine line between lazy and efficient. I like to think I drunkenly weave across that line on a regular basis.

To be honest I love intelligent men, it's probably why I ended up with my current guy who's an X studio engineer, we share a common interest in music. I really hate idiots, and I find geeks really sexy, usually because they are on the same level as myself. So I guess I am a female geek, which is?????

WarmFluffyUK said:
To be honest I love intelligent men, it's probably why I ended up with my current guy who's an X studio engineer, we share a common interest in music. I really hate idiots, and I find geeks really sexy, usually because they are on the same level as myself. So I guess I am a female geek, which is?????
A feek I think.

Goity said:
A feek I think.
LOL
smile.gif

Goity said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
A feek I think.
Hang on, if collective is geek, and a female geek is a feek, does that mean a male geek is a meek?

Another point to make is that men have a higher tendency to be diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, one of the symptoms of which is highly logical thinking. I would be willing to make the assumption that a very high population of the people on this board, and in the computing industry in general, have Asperger's.

Aethix said:
Another point to make is that men have a higher tendency to be diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, one of the symptoms of which is highly logical thinking. I would be willing to make the assumption that a very high population of the people on this board, and in the computing industry in general, have Asperger's.

By very high population do you mean relative to other groups or just in general? Because I doubt that people with Asperger's are anything but a pretty tiny minority here. I also think that citing "highly illogical thinking" as a symptom is a rather skewed take on it, because some of the people I've known who have the syndrome were amongst the most irrational I've ever met.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Goity said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
A feek I think.
Hang on, if collective is geek, and a female geek is a feek, does that mean a male geek is a meek?

The argument comes full circle.

I sometimes think some men have a problem with intelligent women, it's as if we encroach their domain. It used to be men were BUTCH and obviously you guys own that as you are the testosterone producers, but it's like you boys wanna solely own the techno market... Soz but this one we will eventually totally share, the link in mobile phones is obviously showing this as integral apps and devices will make this even more apparent within the next 10 years I would think.

WarmFluffyUK said:
I sometimes think some men have a problem with intelligent women, it's as if we encroach their domain. It used to be men were BUTCH and obviously you guys own that as you are the testosterone producers, but it's like you boys wanna solely own the techno market... Soz but this one we will eventually totally share, the link in mobile phones is obviously showing this as integral apps and devices will make this even more apparent within the next 10 years I would think.
I'm not sexist, but you are.

MrBlais said:
Actually, he is. Women don't pursue these fields because they are not allowed. My teacher can explain this better than I and there isn't enough room here to give you all the info., albeit you probably won't be interested. You think women don't want to be in IT, think again. Read "Gender and Information Technology" by Mary Kirk (which incidentally is my teacher) and you and Consequence9 will realize you are sorely mistaken. Don't judge Gender:Technology ratio with one forum very early into infancy... That's not good enough evidence.

Sorry, but yet again, you are ill advised.
i wasn't talking about pursuing this into a career, just as a side thing, like some people on this board. anyone can be interested in videogames or coding, but in general, women are not.

WarmFluffyUK said:
I sometimes think some men have a problem with intelligent women

I hear this a lot. It's not being intelligent that's the problem.

WarmFluffyUK said:
I sometimes think some men have a problem with intelligent women, it's as if we encroach their domain.
That's probably true. I'd bet that some women have problems with intelligent men, too.

migo said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
I sometimes think some men have a problem with intelligent women

I hear this a lot. It's not being intelligent that's the problem.

Then what is? Is the problem a 'woman being smarter than man'? It'd be sad if you thought that...

WarmFluffyUK said:
Don't they say the meek shall inherit the Earth? :D

Back