Alien vs Predator Port

I don't know exactly what happens, but essentially the 'hang' I was seeing isn't actually a hang, if I have a terminal window open (on device) and step over the swap buffers, the terminal then freezes (as does everything else) but I think it is because the EGL context gets focus and is in control of the screen. If I were to remote in, I imagine it would actually be stepping over the eglSwapBuffers, no problem. But anyway, the net result is I am now running around a level as an alien, good times.

I have hacked this code into a complete and utter mess doing experiments, so tonight I will see if I can get a fresh grab of the code, make the actually changes that are required, set the screen resolution to 800x480 and see if I have something relatively decent to play with.

Thank you all for bearing with me this far...

nanoGL removed?
I was using nanoGL to wrap the GL calls (immediate mode mainly) to GLES compatible calls. But Pickle advised against it, so I just fixed up the AVP source code myself to not use immediate mode. There is probably one or two things that aren't quite right (I think the loading progress bar might be wrong, but I don't care so much about this). Needs more investigation for sure!

This is exciting stuff I used to pay avp on gamespy servers back in the day :) (late 90's)
From a very quick play (two minutes on the predator campaign) controls might be a little be tricky. Essentially at the start of the campaign, what you want to be able to do is:

1. Switch to night/heat vision
  2. Switch to spear gun
  3. Zoom in
  4. Aim on the moving human target in the distance and take him out
So there is quite a few different keys required even in this simple sequence, they are all binded and confiruable, but I am finding myself trying to find the right key when playing. Things like vision mode changing being on '/' obviously isn't great as you have to press FN+/ on Pandora for this key...!

Anyway, if I can get everything sorted out into an initial releasable state, testers can maybe come up with some decent control set up for Pandora which can ultimately be packaged up with the 'final' PND.

I am surprised at how well the game runs in a debug build, very playable.

Question: Is there a way to increase the brightness/gamma on the Pandora easily (some key combination like on laptops)?

Question: Is there a way to increase the brightness/gamma on the Pandora easily (some key combination like on laptops)?
Unfortunatly not, you have to use the display settings script.

As for controls, afaik mcobit did a good job with his Duke32 port, altough it is less complex, maybe you could steal some of his ideas ?

As for the endevaour => cudos !

Edit: of course you can control the brightness via keyboard: [Fn] + / *facepalm*

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the game freezes on trying to adjust the ingame gamma settings like yamagi quake 2?

The controls should not be a big problem, if you can map or hack the right nub to move as mouse and the left one as a joystick for movement.
The other buttons can be mapped freely anyway.
External devices should work out of the box with this config if it is using normal sdl.

Yeah, if this would have made the compo it would have been a sure winner :)

To be honest, I deliberately avoided doing this during the competition as I felt that it would be an entry that might have had a 'wow' factor that got votes, although not requiring that much work to port, which didn't seem fair. Although it is taking some time to port after all, I think this is mainly due to me stumbling around not knowing what I am doing more than anything.

With regards to in game gamma controls, I can change them, no crash occurs, not convinced they make any difference though, although haven't really tried.

At lunch time I quickly set the game to be 800x480, looks nice, although it certainly slows down, especially when sounds are playing and stuff is happening on screen. Right now my aim is just to get the code into a state that I can package something up as a first pass and take it from there.

For the record, I do not have a GHz Pandora, I'm not 100% sure what I have, I think it is the second revision ones from Germany (CC I think they are called?) I have been running with it clocked at 800 MHz anyway as that pretty much seems the default.

Looks like I'll have to dig out my AVP CD..

Great Work!

Initial import:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=com.pawprintgames.avp

Has instructions on repo, to repeat:

1. Get data (AVP Gold works) from a previously installed version of game
  2. Make all files and folders lower case
  3. Copy data into pandora\appdata\com.pawprintgames.avp
  4. Launch game
Hopefully then it can just be launched. There are certainly performance issues/audio issues, but it's a first stab..

Does the Original AVP(Not Gold Version)  work with this? I crash after creating a profile.

I renamed everything lowercase and moved to the appropriate folder.

Wow, good work Steven!

I have two suggestions:

- include a command to do the lowercase conversion, e.g.:

[ -e lc ] || find avpdata | tac | perl -ne 'chomp; ($lc = $_) =~ s{[^/]*$}{lc $&}e; rename $_, $lc;' && > lc
  Isn't that just the prettiest code you ever saw?  ;)   I also wrote a reliable PND icon / pxml extractor in 1 line... well, I had to reduce the font a bit

tail -c 131072 | perl -e '$_=join"",<>; s/.*(<\?xml)/$1/si || s/.*(<pxml)/$1/si and s/(\x89PNG\r\n\x1a\n.*)//s, print, print STDERR $1'

- I reckon just call it "avp" in the appdata; not "com.pawprintgames.avp" - or it sounds like you wrote the game! I'd be ok with a "pawprintport" splash screen, though ;) anyhow, this doesn't matter.  But you should make it com.pawprintgames.and.JUDGE.DREDD.avp if you use my rename code, hehe j/k

Can you give the source of the port?  I'd like to include it in my "Pandora Source Repo" at http://pandoria.org/src/ , and also can have a look and learn from it!

A git repo based on the upstream source would be ideal.

It's "Aliens vs Predator", right?  you can fix that in the topic if you use "full editor" on any post.

While I'm normally an unashamed pirate, I think I'll buy this one.  Can't go far wrong for $5.

It's not on GOG. Here's a link to buy it on DotEmu:  http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/366/aliens-versus-predator-classic-2000

It's also available on Steam, and cheaper.  I guess the files from Steam version would work too.  Any DRM would be in the x86 executables...

If "classic 2000" don't work with the port, I'll obtain the "gold" edition by other means with a clear conscience ;)

Please don't take this post the wrong way, as advocating piracy.  Although, I do advocate selective piracy.

Just download TPB AFK, and see what you think for yourself!  (a legal torrent)  disclaimer: I didn't watch that documentary yet.

Back