American Express

Just to let all of you know who used AMEX to pre order, I was told to do a chargeback by Debs so I contacted AMEX last week (December 29) and advised them of the situation and I received my credit today. (very fast) I will wait for the re-order page by cc now ..............................

cranker said:
Just to let all of you know who used AMEX to pre order, I was told to do a chargeback by Debs so I contacted AMEX last week (December 29) and advised them of the situation and I received my credit today. (very fast) I will wait for the re-order page by cc now ..............................
Out of curiosity, what exactly did you say to AMEX to work around the fact that the 60 day window for disputes had expired about a month ago?

Was your refund covered under the 90 day accidental loss/damage coverage instead, which has now also expired?

Last edited by a moderator:
ben_dash said:
cranker said:
Out of curiosity, what exactly did you say to AMEX to work around the fact that the 60 day window for disputes had expired about a month ago?

I believe the deadline is 60 days from when you received the billing statement listing the charge in question, so it would be different from person to person. I could be wrong, though--if you want a better answer, check your cardholder agreement.

lutchann said:
ben_dash said:
cranker said:

I believe the deadline is 60 days from when you received the billing statement listing the charge in question, so it would be different from person to person. I could be wrong, though--if you want a better answer, check your cardholder agreement.

Oh yep, you're right, it's based on the billing statement date. In my case my pre-order was just 2 days before my billing statement date, so my 60 days expired at the start of December either way.

Hopefully the money I paid will eventually find its way into the correct hands without too much going towards banking fees. If, once this is sorted out, a fund were set up to cover those banking fees then I'd gladly make a donation towards covering my share of them. This is a product that many of us have been waiting several years for (I've been looking for something like this since the late 90s) and it would be great if, rather than making a loss on it, the pioneers that took the risk to create this were able to actually make some profit.

ben_dash said:
cranker said:

Was your refund covered under the 90 day accidental loss/damage coverage instead, which has now also expired?

This was my first time doing a chargeback and when I called I was told there was a 90 day limit for this to be done ( I am in Canada so the limit may be longer..not sure)..I was also told that even after the 90 days it can be done depending on the circumstances...............hope this helps.

Call Amex and demand to speak with a supervisor if they tell you "sorry, it's past the dispute deadline". This isn't the usual dispute here. The money supposedly never even reached the merchant.

Let them know that there will be legal repercussions for their thievery. Then see what they say.

My bank? My ass. Tell them you'll take your business elsewhere and even withdraw money you have invested in their bank.

cranker said:
Hey cranker just wondering, did they require you to fax additional information at all? Also, could you see your received credit online? Thanks.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Call Amex and demand to speak with a supervisor if they tell you "sorry, it's past the dispute deadline". This isn't the usual dispute here. The money supposedly never even reached the merchant.
That assumes AMEX is the one at fault, which I find doubtful in this case. I've been using the AMEX because it's not caused any problems in the past. I continued using it after the 0% intro APR expired (I pay it off monthly though, so they have never earned interest).

Xanas said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
That assumes AMEX is the one at fault, which I find doubtful in this case. I've been using the AMEX because it's not caused any problems in the past. I considered using it after the 0% intro APR expired (I pay it off monthly though, so they have never earned interest).

Nope, not AMEX - the fault might also be craigs (old) bank, which is supposed to refund the money.

Last edited:
Ahh good to see new front page news! I just wanted a quick clarification about one particular paragraph:

"However, we also got some good news for you AMEX guys: We know you didn't get your money back yet (we're having another meeting with the bank in the near future), however, we assure you that EVERYBODY WHO ORDERED AND PAID will get a Pandora, even if you didn't get the chance to reorder yet!"

Before, I had worries that they'd start shipping the Pandoras and I'd get left behind due to the 6-8 week possible dispute request. Now this mean they'll still ship the Pandora to us AMEX users whether or not we got refunded and paid in time right? If so... THAT JUST MADE MY DAY! :D

Yeah, I think that is a great announcement from openpandora. Well done guys! That should take a lot of people's worries away.

Okay so we know that Craig "will honour the AMEX orders so don't worry about those", but does that include all AMEX users (ie. both people that initiated a chargeback and people that couldn't)? I was just wondering about that since it is possible for the chargeback to complete after the cutoff date.

This situation just occurred to me since apparently when I called AMEX they lost my "additional information" which means I'm back to square one in this 6-8 week investigation process. Funny how more problems keep popping up. :blink: Just wondering, how many people who squeezed in a chargeback got their money back?

Now that I think of it though, Craig did say on the January news that "we also got some good news for you AMEX guys...EVERYBODY WHO ORDERED AND PAID will get a Pandora, even if you didn't get the chance to reorder yet!" I used to thinK everybody in that sentence meant non-AMEX users as well, but I guess it's for AMEX users only? Well I'm still hopeful that I'm set! :)

For what it's worth, I had filed a report with AMEX about a month ago and noticed a refund in my account this week.

greenfly said:
For what it's worth, I had filed a report with AMEX about a month ago and noticed a refund in my account this week.
Could you elaborate a bit more what you did exactly, please. This might be something worth to post on the blog to help other members that used Amex and have the same problem :)

Thought this should appear in this thread too:
Phawx said:
Alright...I think I just got credited back my money from Amex. Do I just follow the instructions everyone else was talking about?

I have to give Amex a call and double-triple make sure the credit is in my account before I go ahead and do anything, but I think I may just be doing a transfer at my local bank.

How much would it be to send a cheque to OP?

Oh also, I got credited back the full amount I paid, So I am going to send the amount I got back to OP
edit:fixed quote

I might as well update in this one.

I did a Chargeback on Dec25 -ish and a week went by and I had to fill out some paper work to fax back to them. After I did that, two weeks later Amex said they needed MORE information. But I haven't been able to get around to it, and today I check my account and I see the credit staring at me.

I am going to call Amex tonight and ask them what the deal is.

Is this an actual credit or is it just a reflection of the fact that they are to show it on your account during the dispute? Because I have a prompt saying the credit is reducing the amount I have to pay and I'm not being charged interest, but the credit is clearly not reflected in my balance sheet. I keep the card at 0 at all times, so if the credit were truly there I'd have a negative balance.

The status also shows it's still unresolved: " Your inquiry is currently being investigated. The investigation process, which may include contacting the merchant, can take up to 6-8 weeks depending upon the complexity of the inquiry and the availability of the necessary information. Many inquiries are resolved in about a month, and occasionally, they can be completed in much less time.
"

Slight update to my situation:

I checked my inquiries and my TV cable payment is still open but my Pandora payment is now closed saying "A letter or verbal advice was provided to you detailing the resolution of your inquiry on Jan 22, 2009"

I then checked my recent activity and saw no credit given to me. That doesn't sound good. :(

Anyone else get this message and received the letter? All I can do now is wait for it to arrive in the mail with probably a message saying I took to long to send in my extra information or something even though it got lost. Sigh.

mali said:
greenfly said:
Could you elaborate a bit more what you did exactly, please. This might be something worth to post on the blog to help other members that used Amex and have the same problem :)

Sure, basically I called AMEX and explained that I had been told this particular charge was refunded to me but that the refund hadn't shown up in the account. I gave them some additional information about how a number of people using AMEX apparently were issued refunds but the bank wasn't giving them up. They said they would investigate and froze the charge on my account. Then this week (a month since the beginning of the disputed charge) they refunded me. Note I didn't start off demanding a chargeback, but had them investigate a refund that didn't go through.

greenfly said:
mali said:
greenfly said:

Sure, basically I called AMEX and explained that I had been told this particular charge was refunded to me but that the refund hadn't shown up in the account. I gave them some additional information about how a number of people using AMEX apparently were issued refunds but the bank wasn't giving them up. They said they would investigate and froze the charge on my account. Then this week (a month since the beginning of the disputed charge) they refunded me. Note I didn't start off demanding a chargeback, but had them investigate a refund that didn't go through.

I might have to try this approach, my efforts thus far have been fruitless.

Back