... and production still is reliable and moving forward :) (2012-05-11)

I already said that, but i hope the last pre-orderer to be shipped will have an extra gift ^^.
You did?somewhere in the thread maybe? What about Craig coming round and hand delivering the last pandora in person as a gift.8am ring ring.Damn who the f..k is at the door at this hour!Ill give him a piece of my...Mr rothwell...um Sir...Hi Craig here! Ive got your pandora! Jaw drops...Um do you have a plug I could use?My leaf seems to be out of Juice!The end.
quote++

I've been interested in ordering more, but until I have my first pre-order I have no idea what I can expect from another or additional units. I need to see and know what the system can do before I judge whether I want more units, so until I recieve what I ordered years ago I'm not going to bother ordering another / multiple.

Ideally i'd like two identical units for coding multi-player emulation, but since the hardware is changing even before I get my preorder I don't dare order more until all pre-orders have been completed.

Only then could I order two more and expect to get two same spec pandoras. Hopefully we'll get a big post in here when all pre-orders, CraigXs AND EDs, are all shipped and we have a clean slate. Then I'll consider ordering more units.

It would be nice though to develop for just one hardware platform, I'm not even sure what I can expect yet. I may end up only keeping the one pandora depending on my impression of the device, but like I said, until I have one in my hands, I won't be making that leap to buy more.

Have you guys considered a 2-for-one setup? The preorders are causing OP a lot of trouble, so for every new order, can't you ship out two preorders? The new orders will have a slightly longer wait time, but it'll cut the queue dramatically and will allow OP to focus more on production once the queue's cleared.

I'm aware that new orders are financing the shipment of old preorders. But surely shipping all three costs less than what a new order is ($500?).

I just want to get mine so I can begin coding and contributing to a community I've wanted to be a part of for 3 years now. But I can't until I get my Pandora...

I just want to get mine so I can begin coding and contributing to a community I've wanted to be a part of for 3 years now. But I can't until I get my Pandora...
actually you could. im writing tiny bits of awesome python code every now and then and i know it will run on the pandora without any issues the day i get mine. i guess a lot of developers do it that way. :rolleyes:

sporkbox: If they do it like this, they will be bankrupt in notime, it is not about the shipping, but about covering the cost for the older units.

But KickAss is right, you already are a part of this community by posting here :)

If you want to start coding, do it! Use sdl, python, gles and you should be good to go. If you want to test stuff come to #openpandora at irc.freenode.org and ask. Or make a thread here. There are people, that will happily let you use their Pandora over vnc or ssh to try out your software or test it for you.

sporkbox: If they do it like this, they will be bankrupt in notime,

why?

for example, if there are 100 new orders, the money gathered will be the same for 3 units shipped: 2 new orders / 1 old order or for 3 units shipped: 2 old orders / 1 new order. won't it?

i don't understand how the quantity of money coming from new orderers can be different according to the shipping distribution plan.

why?

for example, if there are 100 new orders, the money gathered will be the same for 3 units shipped: 2 new orders / 1 old order or for 3 units shipped: 2 old orders / 1 new order. won't it?

i don't understand how the quantity of money coming from new orderers can be different according to the shipping distribution plan.

I think you don't get it.

Let's say a Pandora costs 100 euros to buy, and 50 euros to make, and they have to allocate 25 euros to previous losses.

For each 2 new orders, they get 200 euros, but 100 euros is cost of making, and 50 euros is allocated to covering previous losses. Then they have 50 euros left to produce an old pre-order and ship it. Net: zero left.

If for 2 new orders, they only ship one new order and 2 old preorders :

- they get 200 euros, and spend 50 euros for one new order, 100 euros for the 2 old preorders. 50 euros goes to covering previous losses. Net : zero ? No, Net: -50 euros, because they still have one new order not delivered. That means they would create more unhappy customers down the road.

Of course they want to avoid that. It doesn't solve any problem if you take care of old-preorders this way.

why?

The sales of new units is what is perpetuating the funds for the parts for the next 1000 to be produced. EDs business plan wasn't for just the fulfillment of old orders, it was the fulfillment of old orders by selling new orders. For every 3 in new sales, one old preorder ships IIRC, but also, money is set aside to order parts for the next 1000 units to be produced.

The plan was also not to raise €X00,000 to fund the old preorders alone, it was just to fund the first 1000 Pandoras produced by Global Components, and then to redo that schematic for the next 1000 and onward like this. This funding is perpetuated by new units sales, because technically, the old money is lost to CIrcuit Co and the 1200 boards they still owe the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, they have absolutely no incentive to ship faster to old-preorderers.

The longer they get them to wait, the longer they can offer new upgrade schemes. The only "risk" they have is that the pre-orderers get fed up and ask for a refund, but that would actually be good for them, since they'd have one more pandora to sell at a higher price.

The longer they get them to wait, the longer they can offer new upgrade schemes. The only "risk" they have is that the pre-orderers get fed up and ask for a refund, but that would actually be good for them, since they'd have one more pandora to sell at a higher price.
hum, you too feel forced to upgrade?

Thats not entirely the truth, the fact that shipping old pre orders faster hurts their bussiness more, is the actual reason.

They simply dont have a choice, otherwise they lose more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that people complaining daily is plenty enough incentive, unless you honestly believe that Craig and Michael heartlessly care significantly more about money than they do about fulfilling their obligations.

This isn't some faceless corporation you're dealing with where your money has gone into some anonymous pile, it is two (or more, credit where credit is due depending on your parameters, but we'll stick with two for now) human beings who regularly post here. They were members of "the community" long before they got together to produce the Pandora. We've learned about Craigix's car troubles, and the time his fuse box exploded; Evil Dragon tells us about his actual job with film editing and occasionally keeps us apprised of how his girlfriend is doing. They are as human as any of us and I don't believe for a second that either of them would feel comfortable holding onto pre-orders longer than absolutely necessary. I actually find it kind of insulting that someone would suggest they would: it is saying that my trust in them is misplaced, and I don't consider myself to be that bad of a judge of character.

If we wouldn't care about our customers, we could've easily just filed insolvency last year and find a way to create a new company to only sell Pandoras now to new customers..

I've been interested in ordering more, but until I have my first pre-order I have no idea what I can expect from another or additional units. I need to see and know what the system can do before I judge whether I want more units, so until I recieve what I ordered years ago I'm not going to bother ordering another / multiple.
Cancel your preorder, buy a new one shipping now.

There, problem solved.

Cancel your preorder, buy a new one shipping now.

There, problem solved.

Thats the same as the normal upgrade plan (called premium right?), expect you dont have to wait for your refund so you can send it back with $170 more.

Please update the numbers on the homepage on the 1st of July. Cause seeing progress makes the waiting easier.

Back