And suddenly it works.

Must resist stating honest opinion...sometimes polish can make things pretty. I would rather have things when they are ready. I think we sorta agree, though.
When I said polishing, I basically meant making them ready, not pretty...
I assume by your emboldening that you aren't a Mac man.. I don't think I can stay with Windows after 7 because they ruined it with the smartphone scheme and backwards compatibility stuff. I don't think ReactOS is going to be good in the next 20 years, so I will probably have to learn how to use Linux.... which defies the reason I have Windows installed, which is: 95% of the games don't work for linux, and most of my library's on steam... I heard they're choppy, even with Wine and stuff....

What do YOU think I should do? :p

Does no one read the description in the Youtube video? :D

"Sorry for the bad quality (the PCB designer only has a smartphone as camera), I'll do proper videos when I receive the set."
Nope, just watched it here. Sorry.

With the Gear VR (VR head set), it has to maintain 60 FPS, and to do that the phone can heat up, but if it heats up too much you simply get a warning screen come up saying the game has been paused, you need to take the head set off and leave the phone to cool for a while before continuing to play.

So that is a Samsung phone with a Samsung/Oculus/Facebook headset. Just reiterating what ED said, heat is a real thing on these devices, there isn't any magic to completely solve it. You either throttle or simply stop!

It's from the Retro VGS console... it's supposed to be some FPGA console, but they've been caught twice faking prototypes, these fakes are there to try and convince crowd funders the project is still on track, but it's failing miserable... The first time they shoved a SNES Jr into a modified jaguar case. The second time they put a PCI capture card inside a transparent case.

Thank you for the information. I knew about the Retro VGS but not about that fraud things. Incredible.

BTW, will there be any videos about game emulation once the prototype is up and running?

I assume by your emboldening that you aren't a Mac man.. I don't think I can stay with Windows after 7 because they ruined it with the smartphone scheme and backwards compatibility stuff. I don't think ReactOS is going to be good in the next 20 years, so I will probably have to learn how to use Linux.... which defies the reason I have Windows installed, which is: 95% of the games don't work for linux, and most of my library's on steam... I heard they're choppy, even with Wine and stuff....

I only game in Linux on my desktop and Pandora.... Anything else I play on my PS4, if you are serious about cutting windows out of your life you just have to do it. I don't feel like I'm missing much, Even my moderate Desktop build and I can play native Linux titles on Steam well no slow downs or anything, sure there are not many AAA titles yet, but it's gaining momentum. WINE works well at times, but use it rarely. Not saying a jump to linux is for everyone, it's not.

Any guesses of time scale for prototype order deliveries? Are we on days, weeks, or still months out?

Well, my understand of the order of work goes something like this:
- Get remaining case parts
- Assemble unit
- Get new parts made if the d-pad etc. don't fit - not sure if those parts have been tested already
- Reassemble unit, after enough revisions of the d-pad etc.
- Make videos
- Open preorders
- Handle being overwhelmed by preorders
- Order enough boards for the first beta prototype run
- Assemble, and send you and others a prototype unit

Then, on to fulfilling the preorders, I guess, but you should have your prototype by then.

Some of the above is independent and can be run concurrently with other work, but I'll leave it to you to estimate which ones those are. Also, I'll leave it to you to estimate the total duration of that work. If you were paying me to make an estimate, I'd probably think three months then tell you five months to be on the safe side.

It's not looking like there are any showstopper hardware revisions at the moment, but I'm not sure how much time will be allotted to you guys finding such issues before the preorder builds start. But that's a concern for us prepreorderers, and forthcoming preorderers (though the KS should have ED's estimates on by then), not you prototype orderers.

I am fond of *nix. If you are consuming a lot of games, or want the AAA new releases, Windows is the way to go for now, and is probably fine for you and the average user. I still have games that are decades old I have yet to complete, and there are enough Linux games to keep me happy for now, and I try to stick with games that are released for Linux. I also play some console games.

Like TrashyMG said, if you want to get rid of Windows just do it. My only excuse for holding on to it as long as I did, despite dual booting, was games. There are some games I miss, but there are many more I want to try that I can play on Linux (if I had time for more games).

The first part of my comment was to avoid making people think I/we are not open to other choices for OSs. I just think most of what Microsoft releases is substandard and predatory. My intentional focus on the wrong definition of polish is based on their releases of flashy but incomplete versions of Windows and other products. Macs aren't for me, but OS X seems ok based on my limited knowledge and use of it.

Thank you for the information. I knew about the Retro VGS but not about that fraud things. Incredible.
I guess I misunderstood the smiley. It is a pretty sad thing since there were people that were getting a bit excited about it, and in an effort to show progress they just kept tossing out more lies about their prototype.

Last edited:
Does no one read the description in the Youtube video? :D

"Sorry for the bad quality (the PCB designer only has a smartphone as camera), I'll do proper videos when I receive the set."
I read it, but what kind of smartphone did he used ?
All I had before 2008 made better videos .

As I saw some discussions about that in a thread, here are some informations:
Yes, the OMAP5 can get pretty hot. But in case you think that's only the case with the OMAP5: Nope.
Almost every new CPU has that issue.
Of course most modern CPU's and SoC's are getting hot. You can almost melt an smartphone when using apps like these VR-things (Google Cartboard, Samsung Gear VR). That's why clever heat spreading solutions are getting more and more important. They would not build liquid cooling solutions into smartphones if there is no heat issue. :D
Pyra will be no exception there.

Is there any way to collect for another cam ? Nikolaus pictures are always damn blurry
I have a much better cam of course (this was just a Sony cyber shot which gets out of focus when making a video in close distance), but it takes more time to unpack. And upload full HD videos etc... So what do you prefer: wait or blurry? ED will make really good videos soon.

I have a much better cam of course (this was just a Sony cyber shot which gets out of focus when making a video in close distance), but it takes more time to unpack. And upload full HD videos etc... So what do you prefer: wait or blurry? ED will make really good videos soon.
BTW is that an prototype USB to eSATA Adaptor which is connected to the Left USB Port?

I'm excited for apt-get with a full Debian repo plus all the Pandora/Pyra specific programs and emulators

BLURRYYYYYYYYYY !!!
Any news is good news :)

I realize it would be pretty unnecessary to put a microfan in a Pyra, but is there potentially enough space to make it fit in the case near the CPU? I'm more so interested in doing it as a just because "5% less heat at max load is something" project.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121864070128?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
Those fans you linked to are 15x15x4.5mm. On the scale of the Pyra those are HUGE. I suspect you may be thinking of the Pyra on 'laptop scale' instead of 'palmtop scale'. Interior volume is very well managed - there isn't any extra space to speak of.

Pardon my ignorance, but would it be that expensive per unit to invest in some heat countermeasures?
I understand that ED is looking into what will or will not be needed. There isn't much to figure out until these first prototypes are working - which would give a platform to test options on.

There are heat countermeasures. They plan to use the SD slots as heat sinks.
If it turns out that isn't enough, there are other alternatives that ED has talked about. It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of time though, they want to make as few changes as required, so if it gets "warm" but not "hot" with just the board and slots as a heat sink then it's fine.
Heat sinks help regulate spike loads, but they don't do much for getting the heat -out- of the case. That's one of my higher concerns with heat - not generating or spreading it, but shedding it. Standard polycarbonate is a fairly good thermal insulator - which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Make a list of ALL of the games that you have and play on your PC. Open a thread in /Pyra/General and we can parse it into:
Games you can play on the Pyra
Games you might be able to play on the Pyra
Games you won't play on Pyra but can on Linux without WINE
Games you won't play on Pyra but can on Linux with WINE
Games you simply won't likely be able to play on any Linux machine ever

I suspect you'll be rather surprised to find out that the ratio is the opposite of your above statement. Likely 95% of your games can actually be played on Linux and likely half or more of those might be playable on the Pyra.

A lot of the 'old' games on Steam like the original X-COM actually ship with DOSBOX to emulate a DOS machine on the Windows environment. Pyra emulates DOS too - and that pile of games plays under Linux just like it does under Windows even though they are not listed in Steam as being SteamOS (Linux) ready.

Of course most modern CPU's and SoC's are getting hot. You can almost melt an smartphone when using apps like these VR-things (Google Cartboard, Samsung Gear VR). That's why clever heat spreading solutions are getting more and more important. They would not build liquid cooling solutions into smartphones if there is no heat issue. :D
Pyra will be no exception there.
Lots of talk about heat spreading. Very little about heat shedding.

You're good. Blurry is fine for what you're doing. Thank you for the video!

We are, however, curious what all is hooked up to the ports. Can you give us a quick list left to right of what is plugged into the base unit?
[doublepost=1457024868,1457023732][/doublepost]
Well, my understand of the order of work goes something like this:

You seem to be under the impression that the Prototype orders are simply the first units off of the production run. The boards for these were populated at the same time as the ones ED and hns are using for testing. The cases for these should be done as soon as molds are done. The prototypes should actually be shipped several months before general pre-orders.

Fixed that as the prototype boards should already be mostly done:
- Get remaining case parts
- Assemble 1st pre-prototype test unit
- Get new parts made if the d-pad etc. don't fit - not sure if those parts have been tested already
- Reassemble 1st pre-prototype unit, after enough revisions of the d-pad etc.
- Assemble 18-20 prototype units from the parts generated in the prototype run + changes from pre-prototype
- Make videos of the ~18 prototype units, open pre-orders. A video of a table full of prototypes is a MUCH better story than a single unit, and at that point should add a couple of days, not weeks, to the front end of the video process.
- Ship the ~18 prototypes
- Handle being overwhelmed by pre-orders
- Order the parts for first production run and wait for arrival (likely 2-3 months lead times?)
- Potentially make fixes to issues found by the people with the prototype units during the 2-3 months getting parts lined up
- First production run
- Ship production units

So, my guess on prototype orders is likely on the scale of weeks, maybe a month. Although I don't know what the yield was on the board population exercise or if they will need to re-run any of the 3 boards for the prototype orders. That could push out the timeline.

Hey, this is great news.

With a bit of luck we might get our Pyra before the end of this year.

Heat sinks help regulate spike loads, but they don't do much for getting the heat -out- of the case.
I'm pretty sure that's why ED was planning on funneling heat into the SD slots: they wouldn't just sink the heat, being metal and exposed to air means they'd dispense it as well.

I'm pretty sure that's why ED was planning on funneling heat into the SD slots: they wouldn't just sink the heat, being metal and exposed to air means they'd dispense it as well.
Mmmm.. not significantly. To dissipate heat from solid to air requires surface area and preferrably air in motion. Without cards the surface area is smallish and air movement nill but not none. With cards in those slots, both become nill.

Now if someone built an SD card with a metal housing and a tiny fan in it... that might work for that function.

Back