Annoying Ie Only Websites

TrashyMG said:
ThaDSman said:
I ask because my mother uses a site quite often, and soon so will I (I'll be working there), the site is pts.asmnet.com. Its how she enters her time-sheets and view schedule information.

So I ask, is there a way to have this annoying site and sites like these to work on the Pandora? On my Ubuntu desktop I am forced to use Virtual box to use IE, which will definitely not be an option on the Pandora.
Any ideas?

Well Firefox does have a UserAgent switching addon that can make a site think it's Internet Explorer.. However the page may still not function correctly if it's coded with an IE only features, like XML Data Islands / ActiveX and such.. People that code for IE only should burn in hell.

I love how if a site is encoded with stuff that doesn't work in IE then users are told to switch browsers even if they have specifically stated that this is not an option for them in their initial post, but if sites are encoded with things that don't work in firefox then the website is encoded wrong and the website should be changed. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
TrashyMG said:
ThaDSman said:
I ask because my mother uses a site quite often, and soon so will I (I'll be working there), the site is pts.asmnet.com. Its how she enters her time-sheets and view schedule information.

So I ask, is there a way to have this annoying site and sites like these to work on the Pandora? On my Ubuntu desktop I am forced to use Virtual box to use IE, which will definitely not be an option on the Pandora.
Any ideas?

Well Firefox does have a UserAgent switching addon that can make a site think it's Internet Explorer.. However the page may still not function correctly if it's coded with an IE only features, like XML Data Islands / ActiveX and such.. People that code for IE only should burn in hell.

I love how if a site is encoded with stuff that doesn't work in IE then users are told to switch browsers even if they have specifically stated that this is not an option for them in their initial post, but if sites are encoded with things that don't work in firefox then the website is encoded wrong and the website should be changed. LOL.

That's because until recently Microsoft didn't give a crap about complying with web standards. I still don't think they do, but they seem to be playing nice for now with IE8. I still think Web Designers should keep in mind that it's in their best interest to design for more than one platform and browser.

TrashyMG said:
That's because until recently Microsoft didn't give a crap about complying with web standards. I still don't think they do, but they seem to be playing nice for now with IE8. I still think Web Designers should keep in mind that it's in their best interest to design for more than one platform and browser.

I agree they should, and that should include IE.

As for Microsoft caring about standards. They've always cared, and they always will. Because if they don't subvert them then there could be a level playing field, and where would they be then? They'd have to compete on quality/value... argh!

fischju2000 said:
You could mask your User Agent ID so you appear to be using IE easily enough in Firefox, which should work on an ARM version. Many desktop browsers can do this but no ttheir mobile counterparts - Anybody with Midori experience?
Midori does this as well.

The worst ones I've found are the ones that read your User Agent string, and redirect you to a "you must be using IE" page, but when you change your user agent string to make it think you're using IE it works just fine! Bonus points if it is actually broken in some way within IE.

Rathum said:
ThaDSman said:
Rathum said:
ThaDSman said:
fischju2000 said:
ThaDSman said:
Thanks for the quick responses but, I tried it in ubuntu and it didn't work any other ideas?

Is that what usually happens then? How strange. But you could use this website to make sure it's working properly, http://www.microsystools.com/services/http-user-agent/ and compare it with what your current solution shows.

O God I'm so stupid, it probably doesn't work because it needs Microsoft Silverlight, I think.
I loaded up Windows and it said this, so the 404 error is not because the site is out

Try it with Moonlight installed.

I tried everything you guys recommended and still nothing, I get the same error,although after installing Mono I got to click on a few more things in firefox although they didn't do anything just recognize that the mouse was hovering over certain buttons.
And In Midori it would show a little more than in firefox and the 404 error isn't in midori
Could you make a video or post more screenshots? More information would help. Also, what version of Mono are you using?

Moonlight doesn't come with Mono (in fact in (K)Ubuntu I don't even see a dependency on Mono) - Have you made sure that the Moonlight browser plugin is installed?

davidgro said:
Rathum said:
ThaDSman said:
Rathum said:
ThaDSman said:
fischju2000 said:
ThaDSman said:
Thanks for the quick responses but, I tried it in ubuntu and it didn't work any other ideas?

Is that what usually happens then? How strange. But you could use this website to make sure it's working properly, http://www.microsyst...ttp-user-agent/ and compare it with what your current solution shows.

O God I'm so stupid, it probably doesn't work because it needs Microsoft Silverlight, I think.
I loaded up Windows and it said this, so the 404 error is not because the site is out

Try it with Moonlight installed.

I tried everything you guys recommended and still nothing, I get the same error,although after installing Mono I got to click on a few more things in firefox although they didn't do anything just recognize that the mouse was hovering over certain buttons.
And In Midori it would show a little more than in firefox and the 404 error isn't in midori
Could you make a video or post more screenshots? More information would help. Also, what version of Mono are you using?

Moonlight doesn't come with Mono (in fact in (K)Ubuntu I don't even see a dependency on Mono) - Have you made sure that the Moonlight browser plugin is installed?

Yes I installed it on Mozilla

I am a noob. Just wanted to get that out there immediately.
I found this discussion because i plugged in silverlight and asmnet in my lil search bar and got you guys.
My question :anyone out there know any way i can get this horrible site (asmnet) not you guys to respond to my safari dev tool user agent?
Screaming and cursing does NOT work. Any other suggestions? After the screaming and cursing part I ran out of ideas.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post Apple stuff.

Switching useragents will work if the site simply does not allow Moz Firefox. If the page has IE specific rendering issues, then you will need IE itself.

There is an addon for windows firefox to view pages only rendered in IE: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

But nothing for linux iirc.

EDIT: And imgur.com was supposed to be used by redditors for reddit only... don't tax it too much.

Monk said:
As for Microsoft caring about standards. They've always cared, and they always will. Because if they don't subvert them then there could be a level playing field, and where would they be then? They'd have to compete on quality/value... argh!
How do you explain this?

Jan-Nik said:
Monk said:
How do you explain this?

I'd probably explain is in several iterations.

1. I'd explain it as a user expecting me to do all the hard work in figuring out what his point was.

At a deeper level...

2. I'd explain it as an excellent example of a user failing to see what MY point was.

At an even deeper level...

3. I'd explain it as a website which appears, while completely ignoring the current version of IE (8), to compare the standards support of a VERY few web browsers with each other. The range of browsers is incredibly limited, and the exclusion of the current version of IE - despite the site showing a copyright date of 2010 - is exceptionally smelly.

At the deepest level I care to go to...

4. I'd explain how the tables on the site, as mentioned in #3, appear to back up #2 and (in their sheer number) #1.

How's that?

FWIW, a more complete table (not as detailed though): http://www.quirksmode.org/compatibility.html

And yeah, I agree 100% with Monk's #2; a very good explanation.

Monk said:
2. I'd explain it as an excellent example of a user failing to see what MY point was.
What was your point then?

Jan-Nik said:
Monk said:

Well, you quoted it. There's not much to add unless you need clarifying that it wasn't a pro-Microsoft statement?

dflemstr said:
FWIW, a more complete table (not as detailed though): http://www.quirksmode.org/compatibility.html

Quite nice though, and sometimes an overview is clearer than getting tied up in the details. You can "drill down" to get a bit mroe detail too, so there's more there if you choose to delve further :)

Jan-Nik said:
Monk said:
Microsoft only cares about standards so that they can abuse, change, or ignore them.

Monk said:
Jan-Nik said:
Monk said:

Well, you quoted it. There's not much to add unless you need clarifying that it wasn't a pro-Microsoft statement?
Oh I thought it was. Okay I'm sorry then, nevermind.

Midori can spoof its user agent from the options panel. Plugins not necessary :)

EDIT: Also, does moonlight even run on ARM? The subquestion here being, is there a Mono port to ARM processors?

zhasha said:
Midori can spoof its user agent from the options panel. Plugins not necessary :)

EDIT: Also, does moonlight even run on ARM? The subquestion here being, is there a Mono port to ARM processors?
Mono yes, moonlight no. There's a mono implementation in the Angstrom repository which means (with a little effort) you can run C# programs. However, moonlight doesn't have an ARM build yet; x86 and x86_64 only.

Back