Another 8000 Nubs To Go.

Defo said:
Monk said:
Where's the quote from, please?

It's from his twitter account.

Ah! Many thanks. Yup, it looks fairly well related (I had a horrific vision that somethign was wrong with the first batch of 8000 nubs and this new order was for fixed nubs, not for a second batch of Pandoras!).

Though MWeston's tale of TI delays is even scarier - I hope that the SOC the Pandora uses doesn't have THAT bad a backlog when OP go to order them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange, I thought they'd want to mass produce these right away. If you average the total price to about $350 USD, and 4,000 sell... well, they have a whopping $1,400,000. Obviously they spent alot of that on producing, manufacturing, time, etc. So they end up with a much smaller profit. Perchance $400,000? Quite a bit of money, but no where close to how much they would get if they mass produced them (selling them to retail websites...and ebay).

aesir911 said:
Strange, I thought they'd want to mass produce these right away. If you average the total price to about $350 USD, and 4,000 sell... well, they have a whopping $1,400,000. Obviously they spent alot of that on producing, manufacturing, time, etc. So they end up with a much smaller profit. Perchance $400,000? Quite a bit of money, but no where close to how much they would get if they mass produced them (selling them to retail websites...and ebay).

Keep in mind that this has been years of hard work, and there are many people working in the project. I think i read time ago that from the 1st batch they weren't making any money for themselfs.

aesir911 said:

There is no profit at all right now, but we do gain the moulds, pcb design, accounts, credit, software etc. from it all.

27 Weeks[sup]T'kin'M[/sup] Bah! These 2nd batchers don't know they're born.
I stumpt up my cash in advance, took a gamble, feed the scam :p . Now when was that??? Ah April. 27 Weeks ago and I'm still waiting and I've not been waiting as long as some of the other buggers. So just you count yourselves lucky. :angry:

edit: Corrected at least one typo

MWeston said:
It's not the nubs that have the long lead times. It is TI and their inability to meet their customer's demands right now. Go to their website and start looking up parts to see that most list a 20 week lead time. I've already had to abandon TI parts for another manufacturer on a smaller project because of this.

Yep, they are really having problems at the moment.

I ordered an Optoma Video Projector with a TI DLP chip inside. It had been delayed 2 months because TI couldn't deliver in time to Optoma...

Last edited:
craigix said:
aesir911 said:

There is no profit at all right now, but we do gain the moulds, pcb design, accounts, credit, software etc. from it all.

NO PROFIT?!?!? Oh my goodness, that is one expensive device... I'd like to see China (or South Korea) put 1/5 that much funds into one of their devices...

question for Craig, how is the

cable shielding
mains power adapter
carry case
user manual

doing? :huh:

Back