Another Eeepc Thread...

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
So my current laptop is crapping out at the moment, it's just passed a year old and (somewhat predictably) parts have started to fall off, and it generally just isn't working as well anymore.

Also, I'm due to be starting a Product Design course at a university soonish, and they are currently undergoing evaluations for new programs to use, so have no recommended specifications for me to use to help replace my current laptop.

So I've kinda considered buying an eeepc, to tide me over, but there are some aspects which put me off slightly:
  • As my only computer, I keep all my music on here (itunes), this is roughly about 4GB at the moment, which isn't a lot, but is the size of the eeepc's storage, I notice
  • They are a little pricey considering I can get a much better specced laptop for a bit more.
  • I'm unsure on the build quality of the laptop, they feel a little plasticcy
  • Not much memory
  • It's important to understand that this will literally be my main computer for a good couple of months
Does anyone here want to share their experiences with the computer and assess my need for one?

Thanks in advance

I don't have an eeepc, but you might also want to ask at this site:

http://www.eeeuser.com/

They have very active and informative messageboards there.

Personally... I love the eeepc concept, but as a primary computer - I think it's too limiting. It all depends on what you really need/like to do with a computer. I plan to get a laptop this summer, and a Pandora. Basically the more powerful laptop would be the main computer (stay at home, travel only when needed), and the DS-sized Pandora would be my daily travel computer for basic browsing, media and text editing apps (and games of course). So that's another option. It all depends on what you want to do.

I don't think it would be suited as a main computer. You can get a 20GB 9 inch version now though. I'm getting the eee 900 when I go to Uni in september but I'm also bringing my desktop computer.

Also, WTF? You buy a laptop and it only lasts a year? I would be expecting at least 3 years out of the thing :|.

finty said:
Also, WTF? You buy a laptop and it only lasts a year? I would be expecting at least 3 years out of the thing :|.
LOL yeah, I was wondering what brand you bought. I will avoid at all costs :p. This dell inspiron 600m I'm on will be 5 years old in December, and the only upgrades are additional RAM and a larger HDD.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an Acer Aspire. I dunno, it's always the way for me with these things, they go out of the warranty period and then decide to crap out.
I dunno, I think the eeepc should do me at least until I can raise the funds for a good laptop...

Still undecided, haha.

The Eee is just TOO small for me, if feels like you're using one of those kiddy laptops. Horrible for typing on too. The specs are pretty good, and most other people seem to like them, so I'm probably wrong and weird. I'd go for a reasonably specced "normal" laptop instead - unless you're doing 3d modelling for your product design, it might mean you don't need to buy a temporary machine and then another one in a few months :)

I just got my tax refund, so I think I'm going to buy one to play around with. It's the kind of laptop I won't mind having in my bag when I go bike riding, or am on a construction site, cheap enough to break without me shitting my pants over it.

I think I'd rather have an Everex gBook, but the only place that sells them in/ships to Canada is Tiger Direct and they want $75 more in Canada than in the U.S. That kind of shit does not fly when our money is worth the same, so fuck them, they lose a sale.

The MSI Wind is looking rather nice. Similar to eeepc but better keyboard and an 80GB HDD (albeit mechanical). I might get one of those - I think it might do most of what I need in a computer. Not sure.

Prophet said:
The MSI Wind is looking rather nice. Similar to eeepc but better keyboard and an 80GB HDD (albeit mechanical). I might get one of those - I think it might do most of what I need in a computer. Not sure.

Wow, that pretty much addresses all my problems with the eeepc. I think I'm in love...

Indeed the msi wind is a very nice small laptop. A big bigger than the eeepc though and it costs a bit more.
If I hadn't already bought an eeepc I would have considered this one.

You see there is a lot going on in the UMPC laptop market. I think it will not take long before someone will produce an even smaller UMPC and include a d-pad and maybe even analog joypads. That would sell like crazy!

b_o_b said:
I think it will not take long before someone will produce an even smaller UMPC and include a d-pad and maybe even analog joypads. That would sell like crazy!
i wonder what such a device would look like :p :pandora1: :D

I just got mine today, and while I like the device itself, I'm not crazy about the Xandros install. All the packages seem to be way behind, and even with the extra repos listed in the eeeuser wiki the package selection is kind of shitty. I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get Codeblocks up and running. I'm going to give it a week and if it keeps pissing me off, I'm going to install Ubuntu.

Isn't there a 20GB eee 900 out? I thought that was the plan anyway...

EDIT: Here. Thats the one I'm getting for uni. That, a USB DVD RW and a USB mouse. Don't think I'm even bringing my desktop anymore :).

finty said:
Isn't there a 20GB eee 900 out? I thought that was the plan anyway...

EDIT: Here. Thats the one I'm getting for uni. That, a USB DVD RW and a USB mouse. Don't think I'm even bringing my desktop anymore :) .

Yeah but that's roughly the same price as the MSI Wind, which is almost the same size, but has 80GB and a 10" Screen.

What are you doing at uni? I've probably asked before.

EDIT: It also has a fullsize keyboard, unlike the eee

Yeah but the HDD is not solidstate, I wouldn't feel good putting that in my school bag. Plus I have lots of USB storage so I'll only need to take some stuff with me on the EE and the rest can stay at home.

I'm doing Quantity Surveying. Don't know why the ass has just fallen out of the building market here but I think the ass is going to fall out of every market over the next few years. Except the gaming one, but I am too lazy to be a programmer anymore, I did really badly in my A-Levels after doing great in my GCSE's, actually struggling to get into Uni now lol.

EDIT: Just been reading about the MSI Wind. Think I'll be getting one of them instead. Are they bigger than the eee 900?

finty said:
I am too lazy to be a programmer anymore, I did really badly in my A-Levels after doing great in my GCSE's, actually struggling to get into Uni now lol.

EDIT: Just been reading about the MSI Wind. Think I'll be getting one of them instead. Are they bigger than the eee 900?
Ah mate, tell me about it, In fact computing is the subject that I'm doing worse in at the moment. Thankfully, my first choice uni (Southampton Solent) has a pretty low points requirement (160 iirc), so fingers crossed.

Yeah the MSI did change my mind quickly as well, I was pretty stuck on the Eeepc till I heard about it.
Size wise, it's like an inch and a half either way larger than the eee, but the screen is pretty amazing so I hear, so it's a good tradeoff IMO. Should start selling over here towards the end of june.

The eeePC 1000 and 1000H are set to be released soon. Both models have a 10.2" screen and a larger keyboard than the other eees. The 1000 will have a 40GB SSD with Linux and the slightly cheaper 1000H will have an 80GB mechanical HDD with XP.

After perusing all the new umpc's, I think the Wind is the nicest package.

$499 for the Win XP version gets you bluetooth, 1GB RAM and a 5.5 hour battery. 10 inch LED backlit screen (and it's said to be very good in reviews) is pretty sweet. And reviews say the keyboard is very usable, moreso than the small eeepc style. Personally I prefer having more storage even though SSD is certainly desirable. But 80GB would certainly be nicer to have instead of only 12GB (i.e. eeepc 901).

I might actually buy one myself. I was starting to lean toward something full size, but if something 2.6 lbs can do all the main apps and cost me only $500, heck, why not give it a whirl. :)

nickspoon said:
The eeePC 1000 and 1000H are set to be released soon. Both models have a 10.2" screen and a larger keyboard than the other eees. The 1000 will have a 40GB SSD with Linux and the slightly cheaper 1000H will have an 80GB mechanical HDD with XP.
Looked at those. They're nice, but the prices are getting up there with eeepc! I think the Wind is the better buy overall. But I'll probably wait for a few 1000H reviews to roll around before I buy anything.

Back