Another Game To Port?

Trip

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P
Website
ubuntufs.wordpress.com
Widelands is an advanced version of the original Bluebyte game Settlers.
Settlers is still one of my all time fave games, so i've been keeping an eye on this project for over a year now & it's coming along very nicely.
Plays nearly spot on to the original but they've added new buildings (a pub & brewery woohoo!) to the game to make it even more tactical.
Use's SDL & is licenced under the GPL.

Still no real AI for the comp teams in battles but it's in progress.
No multiplayer yet either but that won't matter for the gp32_console ;)

Can't seem to find much info on the specs etc. except it is coded in C++ & uses SDL.
No min requirements are to be found (yet).
I'll try looking a bit longer before emailing them.
No OpenGL needed by the looks of it but u might have to compile it with Python? Don't quote me on that though :)

***UPDATE***

Here's the forum reply from bedouin:

Re: Porting to the GP2X?

Now that's one cool little gadget. Could I use that with a USB keyboard? cool If it does not have a console, it's not worth owning :D
But on to your questions:

Programming: well, apart from C++ and SDL there really is not much to it. Some (few, common) additional libs (see README-compiling) and Python for the build system. I would not expect the porting to be very hard. Who knows, it might even run unmodified (apart from the need to crosscompile).

Minimum specs ... well I don't know of any ;)
Memory and speed might be an issue of course, but if Quake is running I don't see problems in both departments.

The biggest impediment will be screen size. I just set my ~/.widelands/config to 320x240 .... and I tell you it's mighty small. The game itself is unwieldy, but the menus are definite showstoppers.

I wish you all luck if decide to give it a try - see you on the dev. mailing list biggrin

Back