Antivirus

WizardStan said:
... but I work for a global company and security audits can happen at any time. We just need something to cover our butts should it get noticed. ClamAV looks like it"ll fit the bill perfectly.
I also work in a big corp. They do not allow any private devices into internal LAN, none-at-all. And I"m cool with this, because (when I brought my private laptop to the office) I can just connect to the Internet via 3G modem. Works very well, the speed is not perfect but fine, and no-one is bothered. Well, maybe my boss a little bit, by me doing my private email instead of work - but I had good excuse. It was quite obviously work related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bronek said:
I also work in a big corp. They do not allow any private devices into internal LAN, none-at-all. And I"m cool with this, because (when I brought my private laptop to the office) I can just connect to the Internet via 3G modem. Works very well, the speed is not perfect but fine, and no-one is bothered. Well, maybe my boss a little bit, by me doing my private email instead of work - but I had good excuse. It was quite obviously work related.
Yeah, I like my job and all it's little perks :) I have no problems following the rules they've laid out.

I don't actually have a job, but my university's student-only registration-by-MAC-based cable network "requires" some AV program that they have bought for us.

Nobody seems to have noticed that I'm running Ubuntu without it, I doubt they'll care that my Pandora isn't running it either.

'lulzfish' said:
I don't actually have a job, but my university's student-only registration-by-MAC-based cable network "requires" some AV program that they have bought for us.

Nobody seems to have noticed that I'm running Ubuntu without it, I doubt they'll care that my Pandora isn't running it either.
When I registered my computer at our university's network, the admin told me I must run an antivirus and firewall. I replied "I use Linux" and he said: "Great, then you don't need to. Remember to choose a save password, though." Good advise ;)

'conso' said:
'lulzfish' said:

When I registered my computer at our university's network, the admin told me I must run an antivirus and firewall. I replied "I use Linux" and he said: "Great, then you don't need to. Remember to choose a save password, though." Good advise ;)

http://xkcd.com/272/

I wish I had ever talked to our network admin, so I could have said that.

'Squidge' said:
A company I'm not going to mention does go one stage further with there policies however. They only allow PCs and devices running Windows to be attached to the network! There excuse is that they need to ensure that an authorised anti virus program has been installed and configured correctly (as in, full scan run at 9am every day, just as you want to start work, to annoy you as much as possible) before allowing access to the network, and the only OS they support is Windows XP. The only Antivirus they allow is AVG Corporate Edition connected to the "Antivirus" server for updates, control, and logs. Yes, the Antivirus must submit it's scan report to the central server each day, or its barred from the network.
My company isn't quite this bad, but they are close. Only "approved" applications (including OS) are allowed. The policy disallows installation of any other browser except what's on the OS, though people break this rule with Firefox because they don't go through enforcing it. The virus scan has to be running to be on the network (Mcafee), though it doesn't have to scan daily like in your case. No personal device can be linked to the network at all, so I wouldn't have the choice of buying my own anything, I have to deal with their hardware unless it requires no software installation (which is how I got away with buying a monitor for work. I was getting severely tired of working 10-12 hour days on a 15" monitor every day and I gave them a liability waiver form for the 24" lcd I bought for work. ).

I'm actually going to be the 1 tech guy on site as of 6/1, up until then I'm a supervisor over 3 different process. That role probably won't be enough to do very much unfortunately, but I'm hoping it may get me somewhere eventually that can do something. The tech side of the business is just incredibly inept. We pay horrendous amounts for 3rd party MSAccess and now web applications that are truly horrendous. They actually asked for "feedback" about this new application that they were transitioning us to in 1 week that literally opens 7-8 windows to review documents and the information related to them (I told them it was ridiculous that this group made an application that opens that many windows to get something done in the first place). I have been writing my own small MSAccess applications there for multiple team's needs because of the difficulty of getting these 3rd parties to do anything. They are incredibly slow and do a poor-mediocre job.

Back