Any Experiences With VoIP Phone/SMS Service?

Librelism

I'm fed up with having a cell phone. I don't like my phone number being locked into a single device, with the only means of connection always giving away my location every time I use it. A traditional landline addresses some of these issues, but we all know the downsides compared to a cell phone. I was considering getting VoIP service for several benefits:
  • Use my phone service on any computer I want. Take calls, and send texts from my desktop, laptop, and my Pyra eventually. Maybe even Librem 5 if I cave in and get one of those too.
  • I can still use a traditional phone handset within my home.
  • Use a variety of software clients for calling/texting.
  • I don't have to use a cell tower for the connection. I'm not giving some service provider a map of everywhere I go.
  • If I want to use an LTE connection, I still have the option to.
  • For extra security/privacy, I should be able to use my VPN with it as well.
Does anyone have any experience with VoIP phone service? More specifically, one that does calling AND texting? Is it as good as I'm thinking it is, or is there some catch? Any recommended providers in the USA? I was considering trying 1-VoIP: https://www.1-voip.com/residential-voip.php

This seems to be different from what I've been looking for. This looks like an internet-based "walkie-talkie" system rather than a VoIP phone line. I don't think I'd be able to call my mom's phone with this, or call to order some takeout for example. The smartphone app would definitely be a no, since I've never owned a smartphone. As for dedicated hardware, that's part of what I'm trying to avoid. One thing that's nice about standardized VoIP service is that you effectively have a working phone number on virtually any computer you own.

That being said, this does sound cool too, so thanks for linking to this! I do like walkie talkies, but if I was going to get people to use those, I would probably just buy them a walkie talkie to make them use it with me x)

Peoplefone is a very good VOIP provider in Europe.
The account is free and you only pay what you use.
It uses Secure SIP and RTP and works perfectly over VPN with the SIP client of your choice.
Just remember: Using VPN over LTE and then try to call over that, the latency get's so high, that you have to add "over" to the end of your sentence, every time you are finished talking.

Is VOIP a thing anymore? I used it like 20 years ago to talk to my parents for cheap but when the internet got faster and programs like Skype got better and cell service went unlimited I let my Voip devices go into storage. I had a few boxes I could plug real phones into, it was actually a nice setup, I just put a box in the attic where my phone line came in so it just ran to every phone jack in the house. I can't remember the company but when they went out of business their devices still worked, just for free. I thought if I ever moved over seas I'd dig them out of storage, they worked really well. Still, cell phone plans pretty much have you covered though, not free but more convenient.

As for a number being tied to one device my Dad got a really cool wireless phone that connected to his cell phone through blutooth and let all the bases in the house use his cell phone. So basically he'd just plug his phone in to charge by the door and it was close enough to the main base station that he could just use the phones in the house. I don't know if they're made anymore though, it was a pretty nice set up. He had base stations throughout the house so he could use it anywhere. This was before smart phones though so there wasn't any reason to have your phone on you back then.

Interesting. I can't find any info on clients for this 1-VOIP thing. Is it open source, are there Linux clients?

Is VOIP a thing anymore? I used it like 20 years ago to talk to my parents for cheap but when the internet got faster and programs like Skype got better and cell service went unlimited I let my Voip devices go into storage. I had a few boxes I could plug real phones into, it was actually a nice setup, I just put a box in the attic where my phone line came in so it just ran to every phone jack in the house. I can't remember the company but when they went out of business their devices still worked, just for free. I thought if I ever moved over seas I'd dig them out of storage, they worked really well. Still, cell phone plans pretty much have you covered though, not free but more convenient.

As for a number being tied to one device my Dad got a really cool wireless phone that connected to his cell phone through blutooth and let all the bases in the house use his cell phone. So basically he'd just plug his phone in to charge by the door and it was close enough to the main base station that he could just use the phones in the house. I don't know if they're made anymore though, it was a pretty nice set up. He had base stations throughout the house so he could use it anywhere. This was before smart phones though so there wasn't any reason to have your phone on you back then.
my home servise is basically VoIP i have fibre to the home NBN here in Aust. most companies use a VoIP based system internally our company just changed from a Cisco based ph system to another not sure of the new brand...

Just remember: Using VPN over LTE and then try to call over that, the latency get's so high, that you have to add "over" to the end of your sentence, every time you are finished talking.
Thanks for the tip on that! I hadn't thought too much about the delay between voices, so I will need to keep this in mind.

I had a few boxes I could plug real phones into
That's one of the things that appealed to me when looking into this. I could get a call from my work overnight in case of an emergency, so having a dedicated phone hooked up would be a must.

Interesting. I can't find any info on clients for this 1-VOIP thing. Is it open source, are there Linux clients?
From what I understand, almost all of these VoIP services are standardized such that you can use many different softphone clients. The one that 1-VoIP officially recommends is Zoiper, which is NOT open-source. That being said, I believe I would be able to use Jitsi, which is.

Back