Anyone Saving An Experience For The Pandora?

authoreyes

Website
www.markandmarina.com
So, are you guys saving an experience for your Pandora?

What I mean is, I have avoided emulators since 2008(!) waiting to re-enjoy the experience on the Pandy.

But, more importantly (to me), is a 20 year old bottle of nostaliga I have chilling on my media server....

A few months back a kind gentleman on the Lemon C64 forums converted my old c64 disks of homebrew into .d64 format. I have about 5 or 6 .d64's from my initial decade on this planet filled with crappy basic games, sound effects, etc, that I am waiting to play on my ultimate wayback machine.

I glimpsed a single game to verify that it worked and the power of nostalgia was overwhelming. I haven't seen this stuff in so many years that if felt like it was from a different, yet familiar lifetime. As such, I also have some of 4 track recordings I am saving to experience on my new, adult "Christmas morning"...The wait is all-consuming!

Anything like that for you guys?

I've also been avoiding playing all my retro game systems since 2008. In fact, I've gamed very little in 2010 (even recent games that can't be emulated) and instead concentrated on my other hobbies of photography, music (I play the clarinet), and hardware tinkering (I custom-built an arcade joystick compatible with all recent game consoles, just finished it yesterday and it's glorious).

I've also been holding off on Linux development until I get my unit (but not dev in general, my job is .NET programming). I have a lot of ideas and am anxious to see how they'll pan out on the actual hardware.

In short, everything I plan to do on Pandora, I've been saving up for years.

Drack said:
I've also been avoiding playing all my retro game systems since 2008. In fact, I've gamed very little in 2010 (even recent games that can't be emulated) and instead concentrated on my other hobbies of photography, music (I play the clarinet), and hardware tinkering (I custom-built an arcade joystick compatible with all recent game consoles, just finished it yesterday and it's glorious).

I've also been holding off on Linux development until I get my unit (but not dev in general, my job is .NET programming). I have a lot of ideas and am anxious to see how they'll pan out on the actual hardware.

In short, everything I plan to do on Pandora, I've been saving up for years.

Very cool....

Yup, same here, I have been working on games (about to finish my level editor) and music/etc....outside interests when I have the time...would love to see photo's of your joystick!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did similar. I held a lot of stuff back in anticipation of the pandora, glad I did too! A lot of stuff everything looks sooo much better on the pandora screen.

Sarlix said:
I did similar. I held a lot of stuff back in anticipation of the pandora, glad I did too! A lot of stuff everything looks sooo much better on the pandora screen.
I couldn't agree more B)
It's nice to just find a comfy spot to relax and play some games on the pandora, everything works nicely and looks beautiful. I saved a lot of retro gaming for pandora, I just can't relax when sitting in front of my computer or my tv, I have a really small flat.
My girlfriend asked me today why am I lying on the floor with some pillows in a dark room :lol:

Originally, when we first preordered and it was coming out in two months, I set aside a few games I'd wanted to replay to be played specifically on the Pandora. Then, as the months passed, I started playing other things. Got some Wii games for cheap, picked up a copy of Mass Effect, a bunch of awesome indy games came out. Basically I've completely forgotten about the games I was eager to play and saving. They're still there, in a folder labeled "Pandora", and I may add a few more to it thanks to the "tell us non-XYZ guys" threads, but I can't really say I've been "saving" them now, since I haven't really been tempted to play them. But oh the play time they will get when my Pandora finally arrives :D

I'm saving the Star Fox 2 game for SNES. I loved Star Fox, so I'm itching to play Star Fox 2. But I want that to be a special experience, not just on my computer keyboard.

I've been avoiding Persona 2 : Innocent Sin (English translation) which I downloaded years ago because I want to play it on the Pandora's PSX emulator.

authoreyes said:
would love to see photo's of your joystick!
I'll post some pics of the new stick soon, but for now you can look at my previous attempts (pic 1 - a mod of this, pic 2 - custom) and one of my college friends' hilarious custom cardboard-box stick (pic 1, pic 2, pic 3). One of my other college friends used a tupperware bin to make a custom joystick, but I don't have pics. My new one reuses the wooden case you see in my pic 2. (Yeah, I know, my pics don't scream that photography is one of my other hobbies, as they were taken before I got serious about it).

If you're interested in building joysticks, look here and here.

I've been avoiding Star Control II (or, if you prefer, The Ur-Quan Masters -- which is, as far as I'm concerned, the best game ever; staying away from it and X-COM have been hard) and all my retro stuff. I've never played them on a handheld, but have always wanted the experience.

There are some songs I'm waiting to rip to MP3 as well.

And there's a strategy game I want to write in Python that I've been holding off on coding until I'm more clear what might need to be considered as I develop for and on the Pandora.

At the moment, I also miss using and tweaking Linux -- though that's not abstinence by choice, really.

If it counts, I also have some movies I want to put on SD cards that I haven't yet.

I'm really expecting the Pandora to revolutionize my computing and portable entertainment experiences.

You guys are weird. Enjoying something on your current hardware won't keep you from enjoying it on the Pandora.

Drack said:
authoreyes said:
would love to see photo's of your joystick!
I'll post some pics of the new stick soon, but for now you can look at my previous attempts (pic 1 - a mod of this, pic 2 - custom) and one of my college friends' hilarious custom cardboard-box stick (pic 1, pic 2, pic 3). One of my other college friends used a tupperware bin to make a custom joystick, but I don't have pics. My new one reuses the wooden case you see in my pic 2. (Yeah, I know, my pics don't scream that photography is one of my other hobbies, as they were taken before I got serious about it).

If you're interested in building joysticks, look here and here.

Awesome....thanks man...

Back when I was a bachelor and living with some friends, I built a mame cabinet see here. My impatience didn't allow for it to look too pretty, but it worked.

Over the past couple months I've been compiling a list of games I've never played before and want to on the Pandora, like Stunt Race FX, Star Fox 2 and Kirby 64. It'll make the Pandora feel even more special... (Not like it isn't already!)

authoreyes said:
Nice to hear....I thought I was a bit off...

Lots of people believe in ghosts, too. <_<

I judge you. I judge you all so hard.

Kicker said:
authoreyes said:
Nice to hear....I thought I was a bit off...

Lots of people believe in ghosts, too. <_<

I judge you. I judge you all so hard.

Ah shut it, I bet you've got a special 'pandora' folder on your PC like the rest of us :p

Battle for Wesnoth. The day I saw the video of it running smoothly with the touch screen more than a year ago, was the day I ordered the Pandora. That was the straw that tipped over the moron into Pandoraland for me. (The moron's back is not broken, thankfully ;) ) I just realized, too, that I have held way back on emulators as well.

EDIT: Why does the word (c)amel keep getting changed to moron? It says (c)amel until I post and it is changed to moron.

Back