Video settings for Pandora

hedwards

Hi guys, I was wondering what settings you'd recommend for playing on my Pandora. I'm planning on convering some of my DVDs over to video files for watching on the commute. I'm guessing that I don't need the full resolution, but I'm not sure what settings optimize the experience while minimizing the battery drain and storage space.

For reference, I'm using a 1ghz unit and I have a pair of 8 gb  SD cards.

for DVDs resolution you can convert in full resolution and that should be no problem for the Pandora to play it. 

Do you have a 1 Ghz ? 
I do, I just wasn't sure that ripping full resolution would be worthwhile. I've got a pair of 8gb cards at the present and I'm not sure that going full resolution makes sense. I suspect that reducing even to normal CRT TV resolution would yield adequate detail while dropping the file size substantially.

I've used handbrake & the pandora presets created by hmc. I've have been pretty satisfied by the results. You can find them in this thread:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/7931-video-transcoding-presets-for-handbrake/?&hl=handbrake

Hope this helps!
It probably will, this shouldn't be too tough of a problem and realistically I'll probably buy some new SD cards next month when they go on sale, but for now, I'd like to have enough video that I'm not constantly having to load and reload whenever I come home.

Last edited by a moderator:
for DVDs resolution you can convert in full resolution and that should be no problem for the Pandora to play it. 

Do you have a 1 Ghz ? 
I gave that a try and I was pleasently surprised, the performance was silky smooth and

I've used handbrake & the pandora presets created by hmc. I've have been pretty satisfied by the results. You can find them in this thread:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/7931-video-transcoding-presets-for-handbrake/?&hl=handbrake

Hope this helps!
It does help, I didn't use handbrake, but I did use settings similar to the ones recommended. Apart from some minor de-interlacing artifacts the view is gorgeous and it doesn't seem to be too hard on my battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back