Video Playback Performance

'cb88' said:
@Raz no that was with the old ni-cd batteries.... more like letting the battery stay charged for long periods without use is bad etc... they are made to be used

supposedly on these newer batteries you get a thousand full cycles or better meaning 200 half charges 4000 quarter charges or 1000 full charges ... more or less
I think you forgot a 0.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I dont mean that it has to be drained before you charge it, that's just my own personal feelings (why recharge something if it's still got juice... unless it's not enought to last you the next day or if it's simply something that dosent hold a charge very long. Like my cellphon seems to only lst 3 days but it dies in the middle of the day so I just got used to charging it every couple of days or simply plugging it in all the time because its so irritating.)

So just use it, dont let it sit.

But yeah, it is actually getting the battery life that was original stated now that it's a finished (though still pre-release) product?

Li-Ion batteries will degrade from the moment they're manufactured; there's nothing you can do about that, it's intrinsic to the chemistry. However, you can accelerate it's death multiple ways.

Heat will shorten the lifespan of the battery; this is *not* as big an issue as on a laptop because the Pandora will run very cool.

Full charge will shorten the lifespan of the battery. This isn't a problem unless you leave your Pandora plugged in 24/7. Not likely!

Low charge will *kill* a battery. If you leave a battery unused for too long (many months) without charging it, it will self-discharge below a certain point and it will either be irreparably damaged, or the protection circuit will cut off the battery permanently. This is significantly lower than just "running the Pandora till the battery is flat".

If you want to prolong your battery life, just use it normally! If you want to store it for an extended period without use, put it at 40% charge and stick it somewhere cool (fridge or freezer if you really want to!) and give it a top-up charge every 6 months or so.

'pelrun' said:
Full charge will shorten the lifespan of the battery. This isn't a problem unless you leave your Pandora plugged in 24/7. Not likely!
I have a tendency to do that with my GBA... and iPhone... but thnx for the heads up

'Alpha2' said:
But my question is more about whether or not an actual live and out in the wild pandora is actually getting the 8 hours or more to begin with. Confirmation that the thing will give me a weeks worth of train rides rather than having to recharge it by wendsday evening.
Since there isn't an actual live and out in the wild pandora, the question is quite moot :)

unless we count the prototype in the fields around Craigix house: that may count as wild :D

Personally I would give it a bit of charge by mid week: draining the battery means a deeper charge, a deeper charge means more heat and more heat means less battery life.

The heat is a problem in California... but i'll probably have it running for a long time.... By then I shall want Pandora 2 or the newly invented WiiStation 360

'Raz' said:
the newly invented WiiStation 360
nope, it will suffer from the red ring of death 2 making it unusable in hot places...

This is excellent news though!
So basically I'll definitely get a couple of days commuting out of a Pandora!

I'm glad I don't have to resize/transcode the the video as well, that's an irritation with my PSP

Cheers, B

'lulzfish' said:
Does anybody here have any sort of expertise with the type of batteries the Pandora will have?
Is it best to just occasionally run it down halfway and keep it charged whenever possible or what?
More importantly - how much is the replacement cost? I've found it takes a few years of daily charges/discharges before Li-Ion batteries in smaller devices tend to show up a loss in life.

The battery is 28USD is I remember right. It is really reasonable for a 4000mha battery IMO. (especially if you compare that with what big manufacturer charge for original battery)

One thing about the battery though is that it's not "standard"... they couldn't find an existing battery that was exactly the dimension they wanted so they had to get a battery specially made for the pandora. So you probably won't ever find a 3rd party battery that fit.
That shouldn't really be a problem though, unless Openpandora goes out of business or there is a problem with the battery manufacturer you should be able to easier get one.

'Raz' said:
'benjymous' said:
Do not let babies hug your battery!
..... Well, I'm sure I don't have to be a graduate in computer programming to figure out that I do not need to light my batter on fire....

If you don't light your batter on fire how are you going to get crispy cod?

'Mithrildor' said:
I think you will get more than the stimated 8 hours using xVid, (not totally sure) As i think you don't need the second 128 MB RAM.
i really hope so :) would be great for the summer holidays. (if i have my pandora when the holidays start)
But i like mp4 more then xVid. its got better compression right? or am i wrong? :p

MP4 is only a contener not a Vid Codec. If you compare H264 with Xvid, yes H264 have better Compresion/quality than xvid but with heavy CPU demand.

Yeah container/codec are easily confused. Container is what the file is named, i.e. AVI, MOV, FLV, MKV, MP4 and is the way of wrapping up compressed/uncompressed audio and video streams. MKV is common on hi-def video nowadays because of the ability to have more than one audio and video stream in the same container.

Each container can have any different codec, both audio and video inside that container, so you can have AVI with xvid video and mp3 audio or you can have MP4 with h.264 video and wav audio, etc. any combination really. There's a video encoder called SUPER that is really handy and you can do pretty much any combination of container/video/audio out there when you re-encode. I use it a lot. (It's just a windows front end for mencoder I believe, which is an open source encoder)

'cbox' said:
Yeah container/codec are easily confused. Container is what the file is named, i.e. AVI, MOV, FLV, MKV, MP4 and is the way of wrapping up compressed/uncompressed audio and video streams. MKV is common on hi-def video nowadays because of the ability to have more than one audio and video stream in the same container.

Each container can have any different codec, both audio and video inside that container, so you can have AVI with xvid video and mp3 audio or you can have MP4 with h.264 video and wav audio, etc. any combination really. There's a video encoder called SUPER that is really handy and you can do pretty much any combination of container/video/audio out there when you re-encode. I use it a lot. (It's just a windows front end for mencoder I believe, which is an open source encoder)
I love the Matroska container format. It has all these extra features that other formats should have. (menus, etc.)

-God Ginrai

'valhalla' said:
'Alpha2' said:
But my question is more about whether or not an actual live and out in the wild pandora is actually getting the 8 hours or more to begin with. Confirmation that the thing will give me a weeks worth of train rides rather than having to recharge it by wendsday evening.
Since there isn't an actual live and out in the wild pandora, the question is quite moot :)

unless we count the prototype in the fields around Craigix house: that may count as wild :D

Personally I would give it a bit of charge by mid week: draining the battery means a deeper charge, a deeper charge means more heat and more heat means less battery life.

Well yeah if you look at my original post I was referring to Craig;s pandora ad whether or not he'd checked to make sure it was performing as advertised.

I think SUPER is a front end for ffmpeg and mencoder, but I really prefer meGUI over it. It has an update system that downloads the latest components, and profiles for tons of devices.

The Pandora has a Lithium-Polymer battery though (like the iPhone), does that make a difference?

'ashdjones' said:
The Pandora has a Lithium-Polymer battery though (like the iPhone), does that make a difference?
A difference from what? All cell phones have LiPo batteries, as do most digital cameras all ipods, the DS and PSP, and almost any other handheld electronic device made in the last 5 years that doesn't run on disposables. Treat the Pandora as you would one of those devices, and the battery will perform similarly.

Back