Video Playback Performance

'borgqueenx' said:
use Total Video Converter for converting videos...its by my opinion the best, since its easy, quick, and allows much options like burning subtitles into the movie, and can convert alot of files.

but again, mp4 would be a good compression right? becouse the psp can run mp4 video's on 266mhz, i guess the pandora can do that as well? and on 266mhz, we'l save alot of battery right? :)
This was explained on page 3, where you posted. In detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
'lulzfish' said:
"if the psp can play mp4 on 266mhz, im sure the pandora can do that as well. and the pandora got 600mhz so we'l get some power savings either way right?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth

The Pandora's CPU is way newer and probably more powerful than the PSP's CPU even at 266 MHz.
I can't really say, as I own neither, but:

It also depends on the bitrate
It also depends even more on the screen and that the Pandora is running Linux in the background.

The Pandora was tested at 8 hours under a fairly heavy CPU load. I don't think playing video for 6 or 7 hours will be an issue.
If you need to play video for longer than 6 or 7 hours continuously, you have problems other than battery life.

what kind of problems? i dont understand :p when im goign on summer holidays il be sitting in a car for about 24 hours. i'd love to watch some good movies when im bored out there.

and sorry fischju2000, didnt pay alot of attention to every post ;)

'borgqueenx' said:
but again, mp4 would be a good compression right?

You have to be more specific. The term "mp4" has been so diluted that it doesn't have much meaning any more. There is an mp4 container format, and there is an MPEG-4 codec standard. Some people consider Divx/Xvid to be "mp4" codecs, though they are not. There are half a dozen legitimate extensions for actual mp4 files, and several completely different codecs that frequently get called "mp4". Chances are good that the Pandora will run any / all of them anyway, but they may not be the most efficient in terms of file size or processor usage.
If you are encoding something from scratch, you can't possibly go wrong with Xvid video and MP3 audio in an AVI container. This will give you small files that will certainly run on the Pandora.

'Chip' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
but again, mp4 would be a good compression right?

You have to be more specific. The term "mp4" has been so diluted that it doesn't have much meaning any more. There is an mp4 container format, and there is an MPEG-4 codec standard. Some people consider Divx/Xvid to be "mp4" codecs, though they are not. There are half a dozen legitimate extensions for actual mp4 files, and several completely different codecs that frequently get called "mp4". Chances are good that the Pandora will run any / all of them anyway, but they may not be the most efficient in terms of file size or processor usage.
If you are encoding something from scratch, you can't possibly go wrong with Xvid video and MP3 audio in an AVI container. This will give you small files that will certainly run on the Pandora.

all my movies are xvid or divx(whatever the difference is). but they are all about 700mb. and when i convert it to a mp4, it is suddenly about 400mb.

'borgqueenx' said:
all my movies are xvid or divx(whatever the difference is). but they are all about 700mb. and when i convert it to a mp4, it is suddenly about 400mb.
That's because you're dropping resolution and/or quality.

That, or you're converting to h.264 in an mp4 container, which will work the Pandora like a dog to decode.

There is no need to convert the 700 meg file, it will play fine on a pandora.

'Chip' said:

You really think you'll be able to play high bit rates MPEG-4 part 10 (AVC or h.264) without reencoding? I don't :)
Couldn't resist, but you said mp4 could mean anything and then wrote that last sentence :lol:

EDIT : and of course I missed your last post; bad day for me...

'Laurent' said:
You really think you'll be able to play high bit rates MPEG-4 part 10 (AVC or h.264) without reencoding? I don't :)
I recall Squidge doing some tests with a very early port of mplayer and the Pandora @ 600MHz was just barely not able to decode a 640x480 h.264 video in real time. Slightly overclocked it should be able to do DVD resolution h.264 without any custom codecs. TI does have custom codecs for the 3530 that will do 720p/1080i h.264, which just might find there way onto the Pandora at some point.

'Chip' said:
'Laurent' said:
I recall Squidge doing some tests with a very early port of mplayer and the Pandora @ 600MHz was just barely not able to decode a 640x480 h.264 video in real time. Slightly overclocked it should be able to do DVD resolution h.264 without any custom codecs. TI does have custom codecs for the 3530 that will do 720p/1080i h.264, which just might find there way onto the Pandora at some point.

The FFmpeg ARM developer told me he didn't believe high-bit rate h.264 at 720p was possible.
And TI only provides have such drivers on 3530 for baseline and mainline profiles. IIRC, the 720p/1080i decoders are only available for DM646 which has much improved hardware for video and a higher frequency DSP.

That's a real mess isn't it? :p

And it's such a mess that I might have missed TI announcement about 3530 codecs for 720p at high bit rates...

Back