Anyone Seen This?

iggywig

Still Fresh
Check it out GP2X Vs GBA Vs DS

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like to see that same thing just the gp2x vs. psp snes emulation

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 15 2006 at 09:09 AM said:
wow, the 2x is really raping the competition :D
Yeah, too bad they don't know it. Look down on the page, some guy claims that it is an "emulator system".

Technically it is a multi-talented "Video player" according to GPH. And they would know ;) :ph34r: :lol:

@iggywig, your title is so cryptic I finally checked it out, please think of that next time you make a topic.

IE, make the topic, your topic, it just makes it easy to browse the forums.

That second box of text doesn't even show on the front page, it could have included the whole lot on one line.

Also a word as to: "GBA, DS, GP2X Emulation Compare Vid" or something similar.

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 15 2006 at 10:01 AM said:
all my friends call it either a gameboy or an emulator thingy
Yeah, it is too well disgused to be recognized as a mobile Linux Media Center PC and Arcade Machine PDA.

Hmm, LMCPCAMPDA, that has a ring (or something) to it (just like my tub!)

At least you cured your friends of the "PSP" curse :D.

And from behind! A bird? A plane? No, it's the GP2X running 3D original content and games!!

HA!.

If you watch closely the DS one runs alot smoother than the GP2X one though. It looks like it is about FS0-1 while the GP2X one is noticeably jerkier at FS 2-3. I would bet the GP2X one is OC ed to the max too. The DS one has alot of graphical glitches but seems superior in frame rate. Not too bad for a 66 MHz machine. I would probably explain that as the DS having true sprite and tile hardware, and maybe more efficient code. Is the DS one a port or a ground-up emu? If the GP2X had a from scratch emu (no one ported from PC sources) it would probably be smoother than the DS though.

nubie posted on Jul 15 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 15 2006 at 09:09 AM said:
wow, the 2x is really raping the competition :D
Yeah, too bad they don't know it. Look down on the page, some guy claims that it is an "emulator system".

Technically it is a multi-talented "Video player" according to GPH. And they would know ;) :ph34r: :lol:

@iggywig, your title is so cryptic I finally checked it out, please think of that next time you make a topic.

IE, make the topic, your topic, it just makes it easy to browse the forums.

That second box of text doesn't even show on the front page, it could have included the whole lot on one line.

Also a word as to: "GBA, DS, GP2X Emulation Compare Vid" or something similar.

Well, I do agree on that video player thingy, it plays my 600 mb 640x320 vids great. I've watched countless movies, the full seasons of FMA and samurai champloo, and some other uh stuff on it...(as in google vids, etc)

DaveC posted on Jul 15 2006 at 12:44 PM said:
If you watch closely the DS one runs alot smoother than the GP2X one though. It looks like it is about FS0-1 while the GP2X one is noticeably jerkier at FS 2-3. I would bet the GP2X one is OC ed to the max too. The DS one has alot of graphical glitches but seems superior in frame rate. Not too bad for a 66 MHz machine. I would probably explain that as the DS having true sprite and tile hardware, and maybe more efficient code. Is the DS one a port or a ground-up emu? If the GP2X had a from scratch emu (no one ported from PC sources) it would probably be smoother than the DS though.

You've never actually used SquidgeSNES, have you? At about 240 MHz SMW runs at a consistent 60 FPS, SUSTAINED. Not jerky, 0 frameskip. And it runs almost exactly that with the default 200 MHz clock. The whole difference between the two is definitely the efficiency of the video emulation... in speed and in terms of graphical accuracy and compatibility.

The DS' CPU is a 67 MHz version of the same architecture the GP2X's ARM920T uses, but it has the advantage of most likely being able to offload multiple graphical tasks to the DS' specialized graphics hardware-- e.g. probably scaling, rotation, and maybe even transparencies.

Were we to manage to convince GPH in the future to sell GP2X units with an enhanced MMSP2 (courtesy of MagicEyes's custom SoC services) with MES' 2D accelerator unit, I don't doubt it would meet or outperform the DS' abilities to perform these graphical duties. They could probably add these to a later revision of the '2x while staying pin-for-pin compatible MMSP2-wise. The issue is probably money; if GPH can afford to order custom MMSP2s (I have no concept of MES' pricing system. It appears to not be published anywhere.)

The XGP units might provide these benefits via the 3D processor, but I am trying to convince them to include the 2D one as well. Odds are they don't bother, but time will tell.

In the meantime, the best solution would really be fully-ASM graphics emulation code and (ideally) sound as well.

This is a great series of videos .. now what we need is a set of YouTube videos to show off the *native* games of the GP2X (not just emulation) ..

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 15 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
that'll be no problem as soon as we get some

We already do <_<

Something else to keep in mind is that the DS screen resolution is slightly smaller than SNES resolution, resulting in the image being squashed a bit. I just tried SMB on my DS and Mario looked like he was missing about 2-3 rows of pixels.

Back