Emulation requests

itami

Still Fresh
Okay, I know there are people who are curious what the speed differents are between the old units en the 1Ghz ones.

I allready did some testing versus my old 256 unit.

Compared to the 256 unit the 1Ghz is a bit faster when both run on 800Mhz.

Tests: numbers are: 800 (old) vs 800 (1Ghz) vs 1200

My unit can do 1,2 (did not test higher yet)

Quake III Arena (NanoGL): (I could get higher fps with a tweaked config)

demo four: 29,5 vs 31,8 vs 41,3

32x at main menu:

Virtua Fighter 79 vs 83 vs 123

Virtua Racing 99 vs 103 vs 148

Desmume :) at main menu:

My Japanese Coach: 11.8 vs x vs 18.5

Mario Kart DS at main menu: 9.6 vs x vs 15.3

I can do some more testing... I could even do some videos of comparing the emulators on the two units.

And if anyone else wants to show his/her results, please put it also in this thread.

I don't know if "at the main menu" fps are a good measure, as for example nds crawls when the 3d kicks in.

I don't know if "at the main menu" fps are a good measure, as for example nds crawls when the 3d kicks in.

I agree with this, main menus usually have minimal amounts of CPU and graphics going..

But you can see the differents, even at a 'menu'.

It would be nice if every game had an timedemo option like quake...

For Virtual Racing (32x) the menu is 3d and while in game the fps really changes a lot... so it's not easy to see the differents between the two units. The games don't sync, on 1,2 Ghz the game runs a lot faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Videos of some games starting up in parrallel on both units would be really cool. That would show the difference quite good. For example in mariokart64 both could start a race at the same time and just hold the acceleration button on both units.

Many console games do, just wait around the main menu for a while and they usually go into a demo mode.

Many console games do, just wait around the main menu for a while and they usually go into a demo mode.

timedemo is an option to show the average fps of an recorded game, when playing a demo with timedemo the game runs as fast as possible... when done playing it shows you the average fps of the played demo...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LqvMlMHMAOs?feature=oembed&start=14

timedemo is an option to show the average fps of an recorded game, when playing a demo with timedemo the game runs as fast as possible... when done playing it shows you the average fps of the played demo...

You don't need average FPS to be recorded, just give the time it took to run through the thing.

Would be nice if you or someone else could compare N64.

I'm interested in Banjo-Kazooie (runs nearly perfect but has some lacking in later levels) and Super Smash Bros. (runs a little slower than original and has lacking sound).

Banjo-Tooie would also be nice to see but it's so slow on my CC Unit at 1000 MHz that I don't think it'll be playable.

Quake III Arena (NanoGL): (I could get higher fps with a tweaked config)

demo four: 29,5 vs 31,8 vs 41,3
that's the kind of test I want to see.

Warzone2100 and racer performances informations would be nice too.

oh and the n64 emulator, that zelda game would be nice too

You don't need average FPS to be recorded, just give the time it took to run through the thing.

Sounds weird... Question: "Hee, how much better runs <insert> game on the 1Ghz unit"

Awnser: "About 4 seconds better..."

Would be nice if you or someone else could compare N64.

I'm interested in Banjo-Kazooie (runs nearly perfect but has some lacking in later levels) and Super Smash Bros. (runs a little slower than original and has lacking sound).

Banjo-Tooie would also be nice to see but it's so slow on my CC Unit at 1000 MHz that I don't think it'll be playable.

For the N64, which version of muppen should be used... and what are the important settings that need changing?

I don't use the Repo version. The one from Appstore seems better for me.

Repo version test is fine, too. Shouldn't maje that much different.

Sounds weird... Question: "Hee, how much better runs <insert> game on the 1Ghz unit"

The number of frames you get is an interesting measure of "how well" something runs, but another interesting measure of "how well" it runs is how fast it runs. If a game takes 30 seconds to run through its demo on the native hardware, the best any emulator should do is to match that 30 seconds: how close to this does it actually get? The 600Mhz does those 30 seconds in 40 seconds and the 1ghz does the same 30 seconds in 32 seconds? That'd be an interesting bit of information.

The number of frames you get is an interesting measure of "how well" something runs, but another interesting measure of "how well" it runs is how fast it runs. If a game takes 30 seconds to run through its demo on the native hardware, the best any emulator should do is to match that 30 seconds: how close to this does it actually get? The 600Mhz does those 30 seconds in 40 seconds and the 1ghz does the same 30 seconds in 32 seconds? That'd be an interesting bit of information.

But do you have the hardware and the games to check these times?

Here some vs action:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nFcWXLHxTGU?feature=oembed

Here some vs action:

What were the device settings on the left and the right units for those?

Very nicely done video btw.

Thank you.

I think Mario Kart 64 is an excellent example. Note how both videos are basically in sync at the start while it's just menus, and then starts lagging like crazy when the 3D starts? Same with Ocarina of time: little lag while it was just the words, but then it cuts to the opening scene and starts falling back second by second. This is especially relevant because I think I remember someone figuring out that N64 wasn't CPU bound: overclocking didn't produce any noticeable speed increases, and the best way to improve performance was to improve the graphics rendering. Looks like the new processor may be doing that, very noticeably I might add.

Here some vs action:

What were the device settings on the left and the right units for those?

Very nicely done video btw.

Thank you.

800 vs 1200 Mhz

Golden eye looked a lot better, Virtua Racing also showed off the difference in speed for what I assume is software rendering.

Back