GP2X Anyone Up For Go On Gp2x?

Raaah!

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've run configure with every combination of --host, --target and --build I could think of, and it still won't cross-compile. It happily picks up my regular gcc and produces win32 binaries each time.

What oh what am I doing wrong?

RiX0R posted on Dec 12 2005 at 05:41 PM said:
Raaah!

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've run configure with every combination of --host, --target and --build I could think of, and it still won't cross-compile. It happily picks up my regular gcc and produces win32 binaries each time.

What's the error?

I just tried seting CFLAGS to -msoft-float and the configure fails

config.log shows

configure:1729: checking for C compiler default output
configure:1732: arm-linux-gcc -msoft-float conftest.c >&5
/usr/local/arm-dev/arm-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lfloat
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I'll look into it

Last edited by a moderator:
Parkydr posted on Dec 12 2005 at 06:18 PM said:
RiX0R posted on Dec 12 2005 at 05:41 PM said:
Raaah!

What's the error?

There is none. At least, not as far as I can tell.

Extremely cool to see this is still being worked on; Go on the move, without the flickering the GP32 version produces, would be fine indeed!

RiX0R, maybe you should upload your files somewhere and link to them, so Parkydr can take a look at them, maybe he'll be able to pinpoint the problem if he had a visual reference.

*hope this advice helps*

Right now, even the GNU Go source doesn't compile for ARM (not to mention my program and the required SDL libs).

I used this release.

You know, if someone could compile them with soft-float for the '2x and upload them somewhere, I'd be much obliged already, because I can simply use those then.

Other than that... well... I'm still trying :). Don't have much spare time tho'...

RiX0R posted on Dec 14 2005 at 11:27 AM said:
Right now, even the GNU Go source doesn't compile for ARM (not to mention my program and the required SDL libs).

I used this release.

You know, if someone could compile them with soft-float for the '2x and upload them somewhere, I'd be much obliged already, because I can simply use those then.

Other than that... well... I'm still trying :). Don't have much spare time tho'...

I'm using the same code, what would be more useful is to know which devkit you're using and the output from the config.log or output from configure.

Parkydr posted on Dec 14 2005 at 02:28 PM said:
I'm using the same code, what would be more useful is to know which devkit you're using and the output from the config.log or output from configure.

I guess I'm just a little retarded. From config.log:

Code:
configure:1407: checking for arm-linux-gcc
configure:1433: result: no
configure:1442: checking for gcc
configure:1457: found /mingw/gcc
configure:1465: result: gcc

Probably a problem with my path.

Although, you know, it would have been more helpful if it had just aborted with an error... :angry:

RiX0R posted on Dec 14 2005 at 03:29 PM said:
Parkydr posted on Dec 14 2005 at 02:28 PM said:

I guess I'm just a little retarded. From config.log:

Code:
configure:1407: checking for arm-linux-gcc
configure:1433: result: no
configure:1442: checking for gcc
configure:1457: found /mingw/gcc
configure:1465: result: gcc

Probably a problem with my path.

Although, you know, it would have been more helpful if it had just aborted with an error... :angry:

I was just going to say that (path problem not that you're retarded :))

I just tried devkitpro/msys and found the paths in the instructions were useless.

You'll be pleased to know that gnu go cross compiles with the -msoft-float option so the GPH SDK must not be built correctly to support soft-float

Whoo! Finally got it to work!

I had to resort to a Linux computer though. When it got to the 'mkpat' (etc.) binaries, it wouldn't accept the mkpat.exe that was produced with the Win32 compiler, nor if I stripped off the .exe extension.

So rather than messing with the makefile I resorted to Linux and it compiled quite nicely, with soft float if I'm correct (./configure --enable-float should do the trick, right?).

One hurdle down, N-1 to go...

RiX0R posted on Dec 14 2005 at 05:12 PM said:
Whoo! Finally got it to work!

I had to resort to a Linux computer though. When it got to the 'mkpat' (etc.) binaries, it wouldn't accept the mkpat.exe that was produced with the Win32 compiler, nor if I stripped off the .exe extension.

So rather than messing with the makefile I resorted to Linux and it compiled quite nicely, with soft float if I'm correct (./configure --enable-float should do the trick, right?).

One hurdle down, N-1 to go...

--enable-float doesn't seem to make any difference to the gcc calls

I didn't mess with the Makefile just used

export CFLAGS=-msoft-float

before the ./configure --host arm-linux

Parkydr posted on Dec 14 2005 at 05:32 PM said:

I have much to learn about teh Lunix... :(

Edit: Aargh! Cannot find -lfloat! Did you use this first hit on Google?

RiX0R posted on Dec 14 2005 at 05:35 PM said:
Parkydr posted on Dec 14 2005 at 05:32 PM said:

I have much to learn about teh Lunix... :(

Edit: Aargh! Cannot find -lfloat! Did you use this first hit on Google?

No, might be worth a try - I'm pretty sure the Netwinder has a different ARM processor but could be compatible. I've give it a go tonight.

I did the opposite and went to devkitpro/msys on Windows then it worked for me (once I got the path to arm-linux-gcc right).

From other stuff I've read I think the problem with the GPH SDK is that gcc isn't built with soft-float support.

Windows Devkitpro soft-float version is here

I wont have time to try libfloat til tomorrow

Just had a look for lib float - just broken links and references to it being an old unused package.

Maybe time to start thinking about building an up to date tool chain for Linux?

Parkydr posted on Dec 14 2005 at 11:57 PM said:
Just had a look for lib float - just broken links and references to it being an old unused package.

There's a downloadable RPM on the site I linked, containing the libfloat source. I was able to extract and compile it, then link it against GNU Go, so I think I'm in the clear now.

If you're interested, you can find the source here.

RiX0R posted on Dec 19 2005 at 02:50 PM said:
Parkydr posted on Dec 14 2005 at 11:57 PM said:

There's a downloadable RPM on the site I linked, containing the libfloat source. I was able to extract and compile it, then link it against GNU Go, so I think I'm in the clear now.

If you're interested, you can find the source here.

I've managed to compile the original source with the open2x toolkit but obviously I can't try it (no GP2X :( ... yet (ordering soon :) ))

How much speed difference does libfloat make?

God Ginrai posted on Dec 19 2005 at 06:21 PM said:
I can test it for you if you want, just compile the executable and tell me how to run it. ;)

If you want to compare the speed for me, my sterm compatible executables are here

To run them you'll need to put the executable in the same directory as sterm and then run sterm.

Enter

ls -l gnugo

to confirm the file is there and check the permissions.

If the output from ls doesn't start with

-rwx (the w isn't essential)

you will need to enter

chmod 755 gnugo

to make it executable then

./gnugo

to run it

You don't need to chmod. The 2X will run any file you tell it to (that's the reason why the .gpe and .gpu files don't need to be chmodded either).

And it looks like I've been talking out of my ass... the version I thought I compiled with soft floats won't link against my application which is definitely using soft float. Not to mention the horrors of static linking is giving me unresolved externals galore. Rah, this is giving way more trouble than it should.

Anyway, the GCC version in the Linux "GPH SDK" is old, version 2.95, and I read somewhere that soft float support was only added somewhere around v3.32. Devkitgp2x has a newer version, 4.0.2, but the Windows environment pretending to be unix with all kinds of non-standard paths and half-Windows/half-POSIX paths is confusing the hell out of me and I can't seem to get it setup properly.

As a last resort, I've just built a new toolchain per DJWillis' instructions, from the Open2x CVS archive. It's also based on GCC 4.0.2 and hence should allow proper use of soft-floats.

Time will tell...

This is the error I get with the soft float version:
Code:
./gnugo: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by gnugo)

Back